Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my sedan for 2 months now and have started upgrading. I put it the STi short shifter, perrin foam air filter and had the ground spoilers put all around. Now I am looking to do a little more. Since there is much out yet for engine performace I was thinking of upgrading the susupension. I see the STi pink springs are pretty cheap and am wondering who has done this mod. Would it look like crap if I left my factory wheels and tires with these springs. I know they lower the car about 1/2". I was wondering if the tires would look too small since they are only 16".

Also are the brakes the same between the n/a and the WRX? I am wondering if the WRX has bigger rotors and calipers.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
same brakes unless you got drums in the rear

only the STi has different brakes

upgrading the calipers/rotors isn't worth it. these new brakes have the same stopping power as the old 4-pot "SUBARU" branded calipers. if you want something better, paint your calipers with caliper/engine paint and upgrade your pads to some Hawk HPS or EBC GreenStuff...

pads from a 2005 WRX will fit if you're having trouble finding aftermarket pads

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I have the premium package so I got the disc brakes in the back. I will probably paint the calipers. That is good to know that 2005 pads will fit.

What do you think about the springs? I would like to get those and swaybars. But I am wondering if it will look weird with 16" wheels. I would really like to get 18" Volks or BBS but I don't have the money right now.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
get the STi pinks while they are cheap. they are WELL worth the money -- if not for the Subaru factory warranty alone (they won't void any of your suspension parts' warranties either)

they might look weird with 16" wheels but it won't be that noticeable (it's only a 10mm drop)

other than that I'd recommend the rallitek swaybars. upgrading to WRX swaybars isn't that much of a difference (even though the 2.5i doesn't have one in the back)

they're also on sale at rallitek.com

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
in ohio only 5 can be lit at once

I have them on 2 separate switches

but I turn them all on when I'm in the middle of nowhere

I recently took them off... the bar wiggles too much (welded it myself) -- going to make a new one out of metal tube instead of flat pieces

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I'd leave them off. Your car looks really nice, except for those lights which don't fit the looks of the car at all. Maybe on a jeep, but not on an 08 WRX.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
the rallyinnovations bar looks a little better:

can't find the 08 WRX/STi version but it fits the car pretty well.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
in ohio only 5 can be lit at once

I have them on 2 separate switches

but I turn them all on when I'm in the middle of nowhere

I recently took them off... the bar wiggles too much (welded it myself) -- going to make a new one out of metal tube instead of flat pieces
I really like the "rally" look...it may not be to some peoples' tastes, but i think it looks sweet.

Some people really like 20" inch wheels, i happen to not...whatever floats your boat. :)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I usually have more vinyl on my car 8)

my friend prints it for free for me...

pretty soon I'm going to redo all of it... it'll be similar to the WRC car (SUBARU on the hood, etc) but in all red.

I happen to think lowering a subaru and throwing big wheels on it defeats the purpose of the car. it isn't meant for a track really...

but yeah, everyone has different tastes. I actually need the lights when I go on long trips through the woods, so it's a little more than rally bling.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I happen to think lowering a subaru and throwing big wheels on it defeats the purpose of the car. it isn't meant for a track really...

but yeah, everyone has different tastes. I actually need the lights when I go on long trips through the woods, so it's a little more than rally bling.
Subarus are not rally cars. I get so sick of people thinking they are rally stars or they drive a rally car just because they drive a subaru. It's just a rally version of the racerboy mentality everyone loves, and is equally as lame (and more poser-ish). I'm sorry but your car is NOT a rally car (no, awd does not = rally car). Subaru has a really team that MAKES a rally car for their participating in rallys, but that in no way means that your car was built for anything but the road. As for "it isn't meant for a track really...", ever heard of a road rally? How is that any different other than a track is better prepared? You can build your car up for the track, or autox, or you can even build it up for rallyx, but there are HUGE MASSIVE differences between your car and a rally car, even if you slap on a few mods and a huge oversized lightbar to the front. Bottom line, your car is meant and built for public roads like almost every other car on the road, if only because of cost as much as the fact that it's just dumb to build a car up for something it's not going to be used for.

What woods are you driving through such that you need to overpower the black-holish forces that are swallowing up the light by mounting 4 oversized lights on the front of your car? I don't know about you, but whenever I've driven through the most uninhabited wooded areas (and I had done so on very frequent basis in recent years when I was more into camping and backpacking) I've always been able to see better than in the city simply because of the lack of oncoming traffic, turn on the brights and you should have WELL more than enough light to see as long as the bulbs aren't old as dirt. The only thing that you would really need to improve on is lighting that is not centered dead ahead so you can see while cornering, so get some fogs. If you still can't see then you shouldn't be driving.

Do whatever you want with your car. It's your car after all, and if it makes you happy then that's all the reason you should need. But the lights are "rally bling" just like the vinyl will be. It's obvious you like the "rally bling" and are enthusiastic about subaru's rally heritage, and that's all fine. Just stop pretending they were put there for practical reasons.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
the top lights are flood beams aimed straight ahead and are brighter than the brights, the bigger lights are cone-shaped beams aimed to the side

I have to drive on a dark curvy road at night all the time and it helps me see (deer, people walking their dogs, etc)

the only difference between the subarus at the dealership and rally cars is the rally cars are built 100% by hand (after the frame) and have reinforcement and obvious power mods. aside from that they are the same as the factory car. how is this no more of a rally car than say a chevy cobalt?

subarus, the impreza anyway, is definitely rally-inspired. STi and Prodrive have a BIG hand in the design of the car. the rally car HAS TO BE based on the street car to be allowed to compete.

I myself rally the car occasionally and am somewhat of an experienced driver... everyone else driving subarus who don't even know what rallying is... well they're just benefiting from technology invented to help subaru win the WRC.

so a slammed subaru on 22s with 200lbs of stereo equipment .... that is bling.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
the top lights are flood beams aimed straight ahead and are brighter than the brights, the bigger lights are cone-shaped beams aimed to the side

I have to drive on a dark curvy road at night all the time and it helps me see (deer, people walking their dogs, etc)

the only difference between the subarus at the dealership and rally cars is the rally cars are built 100% by hand (after the frame) and have reinforcement and obvious power mods. aside from that they are the same as the factory car. how is this no more of a rally car than say a chevy cobalt?
I have to drive on dark curvy roads too, so do lots of other people, but for some reason everyone does ok with their non-oversized headlights with maybe a small (but unncessary) set of driving or fog lights to supplement it. I'm not saying that you shouldn't upgrade lighting if you want to, and there are some cars that come with rather poor lighting from the factory, but this is not one of them. Besides, bright lights don't always mean more visibility. You shine more light on things, more light is coming back at your eyes making them adjust to the brightness. What's the result? You can't see things as well unless they are lit directly by those much brighter lights. Not everything you need to see is going to be always lit by your headlights. I'd hate to think what the other drivers think of you, and blinding pedestrians is a good idea too. Rally bling.

But other than the lighting and back to the rally car topic, that is definitely NOT the only difference. So what parts do you think that the rally car shares with the street cars other than the basic chassis? Nearly every single part is going to be vastly different in the rally car. They also build rally cars based on the focus fyi. The only thing that makes your car more of a rally car than a chevy cobalt is AWD. Your car is NOT a rally car any more than an AWD Audi is. Subaru has used their success in WRC to help market the impreza, but it's nothing more than marketing.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
the WRC car is vastly different (different drive train, different axles, even different hubs, brakes, different turbo, etc) but the USA rally team uses a nearly stock STi

the rallyamerica focuses are also very similar to the ones you buy in the show room

WRC cars are so different because of the money and level of competition in the WRC

they COULD run a car right off the showroom floor, but they are tamed so that normal people can drive them, and it would give the drivers a huge disadvantage (for example, the steering isn't as tight, springs are softer, swaybars are smaller, tires suck, soundproofing everywhere, etc)

BTW I take the lights off when I'm not using them

my original point still stands, lowering a subaru (to the point of "slammed") is kind of dumb, but it's also kind of dumb on almost any car

I saw a slammed VW GTI today, it looked like a space ship floating down the road! I hope he never has to pull into a driveway or go over a speed bump. sheesh.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Ok, well I will give up and admit you are right if you admit that your car is no more a rally car than a focus, tiburon or jetta is.

Aside from that, I do agree with you about slamming the car to the ground, especially an impreza which will already tend to have a really low COG. The honda guys love to slam their cars to the ground, nevermind that it causes a huge loss in dynamic camber, or that they can't go over any bumps without scraping all over the place, at least it looks cool. While some cars respond a lot better to the more severe drops out there, there is no point in making your car completely useless on all but the smoothest roads. When modding a suspension the implication is that you want to improve stability and grip. However, if you have to drive twice as slow over the same roads as before to ensure that you don't completely mangle your suspension/wheels/tires/chassis it kind of makes the fact that your car may handle better irrelevant. Even worse is when they throw on the wheels that are too big for the car, or even worse...chrome. All show, no go = lame.

I'm all for appearance mods, they are a great way to personalize your car. However, I do not like appearance mods masquerading around as performance mods. Even more than that I don't like those same appearance mods (the ones pretending to be performance mods) actually hurting performance as well (like the infamous fartcannon civic). I mean you'd think that these people would at least want to break even. I don't know if it's ignorance, or people just being posers, but either way it either makes me slightly annoyed (that I have to share the road with these people), or laugh out loud (depends on the day, and car).

On a related note, given that these people are the ones who are going to be revving at others at stoplights and street racing, I am extremely happy that I have a dull looking 08 and can drive below their radar. Hopefully that won't change when the new vin diesel - paul walker douche-fest movie comes out, but it still makes me kind of nervous (but glad I chose a sedan over a hatch).

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
the focus, tiburon, and jetta do not come from the factory with the options that the rally car has, they are not as closely related as the wrx/sti is to the subaru WRC car

all I said was slammed cars are dumb and I actually do use my lights

1 - 20 of 28 Posts