Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because existing sources of auto reliability information left much to be desired, in late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research at TrueDelta.com. TrueDelta reports absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so it's possible to provide reliability information on new models quickly. Also, any significant changes in a model's reliability become apparent quickly.

I'd like to provide info on the 2008 WRX and Impreza, but need more owners to sign up to participate. For some 2008 models there are already over 100 owners enrolled. The WRX is not one of those models...just eight so far.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members receive full access to the results for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm active on several boards and have seen this post several times over the years. I don't really feel like part of contributing to someone's money source, especially when its guised up as being independent for the sake of the user, when in fact we have no real idea of what is going on.

meh.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm active on several boards and have seen this post several times over the years. I don't really feel like part of contributing to someone's money source, especially when its guised up as being independent for the sake of the user, when in fact we have no real idea of what is going on.

meh.
He is doing a great job though...beats vague CR ratings.

If he wasn't compnsated for that that wouldn't be happening.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

meh.
If you have no idea what is going on, then you haven't really looked.

I've put out seven sets of results, on a set quarterly schedule, and have yet to charge anyone for access to them. That ought to speak for itself.

Do I eventually hope this work will be financially justified? It will have to be, or my wife won't let me keep doing it :) But I figure if I provide an outstanding service, the income will eventually take care of itself.

I do need more 2008s to sign up. We're at 14 so far, and that won't be enough for a result in August.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You know what? Because I've been recording my fuel economy and maintenance schedule on my computer ever since I got the car, I'll see what I can do to chip in.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I got a JD Power vehicle quality survey in the mail for my car, anyone else getting these?

I dung it on these three things:

1. Paint chipping, did not visit dealer, went straight for paint protectant film. At a minimum I think we all would like to see more durable paint.

2. Shifter feel sucks, very rubbery (corrected with Kartboy), reverse grinds if the car is moving at all, even if you are just creeping a bit. I think I will ask others in the appropriate section about the grinding thing.

3. Have one annoying creak in the back, stands out with the rest of the car being quiet. I read about some improper welds and I think I will check into that.

Otherwise its pretty good, gave it a 6 out of 10 for overall quality which is one number short of outsatanding on their scale.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reverse grinds in just about any car I've ever driven with a stick if the car is moving--it's because there's no synchro in reverse. Why? Because theoretically you're not moving when you shift into reverse. With other gears, this isn't the case, so they have synchros.

Still need more participants for the research if we're going to have a result in August. Otherwise November.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Reverse grinds in just about any car I've ever driven with a stick if the car is moving--it's because there's no synchro in reverse. Why? Because theoretically you're not moving when you shift into reverse. With other gears, this isn't the case, so they have synchros.

Still need more participants for the research if we're going to have a result in August. Otherwise November.

WORD! +1
If you've driven a stick for any period of time, you really should know this. It's also why a manual transmission gearsbox always whines when you back up: 'cause reverse is a straight-cut (no synchro) gear. As long as it's a relatively minor commitment, I will sign up as I've been recording my mileage every fill-up since I got it.

3. Have one annoying creak in the back, stands out with the rest of the car being quiet. I read about some improper welds and I think I will check into that.
I have that creak too Do you have a hatch??

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
signed up but probally wont use it, to confusing/time consuming to use and read all the crap. Ill give it a try though.
Happy you signed up, not so happy to hear the product of all of my time and effort described as crap. Crap in a good way?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're not alone in that opinion. I've actually worked to reduce the wordcount, but there's more to be done. I'm going to have others help me with this, as I clearly don't have the necessary perceptions. (From grad school I'm used to reading hundreds of pages at a sitting.)

One thing to keep in mind: in the regular emails I keep the wording constant as much as possible. So once you've read the email for the survey once, you probably won't have to read it again.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We're a few months of data short of the minimum for a result this month.

Those of you who signed up early enough to participate in the survey covering June have received emails asking for a few bits of information. If a couple more of you respond to those emails, we'll have a result. Otherwise, we'll have to wait until November.

Additional participants would make such a non-result less likely in November.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You might want to check your spam or bulk folder. I send no spam, but with over 25,000 members I do send a lot of email, and this is upsetting some of the simpler filters.

There might be a way to whitelist my address.

Either way, please send a PM or email with the address you used to sign up, so I can check things out on my end. Please include your current odometer reading and the basic details of any repairs that occurred since you last responded to the survey. (I can look this up if I have your address.)

I am currently four months of data short of being able to post a result for the 2008 Impreza and WRX this month...

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I got a JD Power vehicle quality survey in the mail for my car, anyone else getting these?

1. Paint chipping, did not visit dealer, went straight for paint protectant film. At a minimum I think we all would like to see more durable paint.

2. Shifter feel sucks, very rubbery (corrected with Kartboy), reverse grinds if the car is moving at all, even if you are just creeping a bit. I think I will ask others in the appropriate section about the grinding thing.

Otherwise its pretty good, gave it a 6 out of 10 for overall quality which is one number short of outsatanding on their scale.
I totally agree with the 1st two, (i bought my kartboy within a week, haha) though from what ive read, a lot of people have been getting rid of that creaking by removing the pull-out cover in the back (assuming you have a hatch). i guess thats been causing the noise for a lot of people, give it a shot.

·
Registered
88 Posts

I totally agree with the 1st two, (i bought my kartboy within a week, haha) though from what ive read, a lot of people have been getting rid of that creaking by removing the pull-out cover in the back (assuming you have a hatch). i guess thats been causing the noise for a lot of people, give it a shot.
I've noticed the creaking too (have the 5 door) but I'm pretty sure, at least in my case, that's it's coming from the seats moving a little on the locking mechanism. When I heard noise that's the first thing that came to mind so I put the seats down and low and behold the noise was gone. Has anyone else tried that? Report back please if you have cuz that noise drives me frickin crazy!! Maybe some WD40 would take care of the noise.

I'll try pulling out the cover in the back but I really don't like the idea of driving around with that out, looks crappy and makes the back useless to carry stuff. I do have the rubber spill guard back there, I would think that would hold it in place better.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts