Subaru WRX Forums banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
My AC compressor just took a crap. Right along with the STi ECM recall. 2 birds with one stone?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Results were recently posted for many other models. The 2008 Impreza isn't in there, but should make the November update. Additional participants would be very helpful.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The 2008 Impreza and WRX did make it into the November results, with a repair rate of 106 successful repair trips per 100 cars per year. This is about double the average, and also quite a bit higher than other Subarus.

It is possible that we're seeing some initial bugs here, and that Subaru will quickly iron them out, if it hasn't already. We'll get some indication either way with the next update, in February.

Additional participants would be very helpful. We'd especially like to get a result for the 2009 as soon as possible, to fully reflect any improvements Subaru has made.

For the full set of results, and to sign up to help:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

·
Registered
382 Posts
The 2008 Impreza and WRX did make it into the November results, with a repair rate of 106 successful repair trips per 100 cars per year. This is about double the average, and also quite a bit higher than other Subarus.

It is possible that we're seeing some initial bugs here, and that Subaru will quickly iron them out, if it hasn't already. We'll get some indication either way with the next update, in February.

Additional participants would be very helpful. We'd especially like to get a result for the 2009 as soon as possible, to fully reflect any improvements Subaru has made.

Just wanted to say that I apologize for my earlier tone, its clear that your are committed to this work. Good luck.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You are aware this is the Internet, right? No one ever apologizes, for anything. Must say I about fell out of my chair.

I cannot express how much I appreciate the apology. Some days I wonder if I should be putting so much time and effort into this. Not today.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

Just wanted to say that I apologize for my earlier tone, its clear that your are committed to this work. Good luck.
+1 karma for you...I can't believe you even remembered!

joneSi

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
You're not alone in that opinion. I've actually worked to reduce the wordcount, but there's more to be done. I'm going to have others help me with this, as I clearly don't have the necessary perceptions. (From grad school I'm used to reading hundreds of pages at a sitting.)

One thing to keep in mind: in the regular emails I keep the wording constant as much as possible. So once you've read the email for the survey once, you probably won't have to read it again.
I actually really like the fact that the findings are so detailed. The fact that you return hard numbers rather than just a vague opinion that doesn't say much is pretty beneficial for those of us who like more fact than opinion. Consumer reports doesn't inspire me with confidence, and they are hardly impartial, same thing with all that JD power junk. I absolutely trust your site over others when researching reliability prior to buying a car.

One thing I would like to see at some point, and you may have been doing this already, but it would be nice if the trips to the shop were broken down into groups based on the type of problem so that we can see in which ways that certain cars are either reliable, or unreliable.

I certainly hope it becomes financially justifiable as this has the potential (and is already in some ways) to be such a massively useful tool when researching cars.

·
Registered
382 Posts
You are aware this is the Internet, right? No one ever apologizes, for anything. Must say I about fell out of my chair.

I cannot express how much I appreciate the apology. Some days I wonder if I should be putting so much time and effort into this. Not today.
When I'm wrong I'm wrong. It happens. Rarely, but it happens. ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Gas milage is taking a shit on me. I'm usually at 24-25, but on this last tank I'm lucky I'll get 20.1 bleh. Time for a new air filter me thinks

·
Registered
382 Posts
Gas milage is taking a shit on me. I'm usually at 24-25, but on this last tank I'm lucky I'll get 20.1 bleh. Time for a new air filter me thinks
Winter fuel has additives which usually affect mileage.
Check your tire pressure as colder air lowers the pressure in your tires affecting economy.
Also, are you filling up at your "normal" station? Be aware of the ones the use ethanol additive as it too will lower your mileage.
Then check your air filter. ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Winter fuel has additives which usually affect mileage.
Check your tire pressure as colder air lowers the pressure in your tires affecting economy.
Also, are you filling up at your "normal" station? Be aware of the ones the use ethanol additive as it too will lower your mileage.
Then check your air filter. ;)
My Air pressure light has been on all day everyday since October, pressure gauge says they are alright so I'm sure one of them is faulty or whatever. I fill up at the same station all the time, except when I'm on road trips for obvious reasons. I could squeeze out at least 310 miles city driving, but I'll be lucky if I hit 230 or so.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
One thing I would like to see at some point, and you may have been doing this already, but it would be nice if the trips to the shop were broken down into groups based on the type of problem so that we can see in which ways that certain cars are either reliable, or unreliable.
What we do so far, as you probably know, is post every reported repair to the site. We don't yet post counts by system, though, because we're still refining how various repairs are categorized and the sample sizes are only large enough in a few cases.

Put it this way: if you report on ten different systems, you essentially need ten times the sample size that you need to report an overall result.

The more participants we have, the more information we'll provide. The hard part is getting enough participants.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Im sending my car in today to get a noise checked out. I had questioned the sound of the turbo. I hear what seems to sound like metal against metal noise a high pitched squeal around 4000 rpms. It doesnt sound normal so I have no idea what it is and since I bought the best warranty that i could buy at subaru I might as well have it checked out. Let you know tomorrow what they say it is.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
We have updated results, and with 87 repair trips per 100 cars per year the 2008 Subaru Impreza and WRX are better than before, but still worse than average.

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November. With additional participants we can provide more precise results and also include the 2009--especially need more of these.

We now have a separate results page for each model. The one for the Subaru Impreza and WRX:

Subaru Impreza / WRX / Outback Sport reliability comparisons

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Another update, covering owner experiences through the end of March. The 2008 Impreza and WRX have continued to improve. The reported repair rate is now 54 per 100 cars per year, which is about average.

A big thanks to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover the 2009 as well--especially need more 2009s.

Subaru Impreza / WRX reliability comparisons

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
We've updated results for the Car Reliability Survey again to include owner experiences through June 2009. All results in terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year.

Results for the Impreza and WRX:
2009: no repairs reported yet, small sample size
2008: 66, average

A big thanks once again to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all models and model years from 1995 on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
We've updated results for the Car Reliability Survey again to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. All results in terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year.

2009: 22, better than average

2008: 55, average

A big thanks once again to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and two new stats, for the odds of having no repairs and of getting a lemon.

I'd also like to report on engine failures in early 2008 MY WRXs. But again, this requires more participants. So if you haven't already signed up, I hope you'll consider it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Uhm... try putting it into 1st gear, before you put it in Rev. They are similar, and next to each other, should reduce the *grind*

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
We've updated results for the Car Reliability Survey again to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. All results in terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year.

2009: 21, better than average

2008: 40, average

A big thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and two new stats, for the odds of having no repairs and of getting a lemon.

I'd also like to report on engine failures in early 2008 MY WRXs. But again, this requires more participants. So if you haven't already signed up, I hope you'll consider it.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts