Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a 2008 (leftover) WRX. It's been a great car. I've been careful with it breaking it in and driving it carefully. I finally hit 1000 miles today. It was a long month of resisting the urge to fully open it up. Today, I was pulling out of a side street and opened it up a bit from 1st to 2nd (~6000 rpm) and shut it down as I shifted into 3rd. When I shifted I heard a weird noise. I was shifting moderately, but not grandma slow. I certainly wasn't "banging" the gears and had fully depressed the clutch. It was sort of a whirring noise. Was I shifting too slow? I have never heard this noise before. Bear in mind I might be paranoid. I guess you could say the noise sounded like a growling whirring?

I also noticed the car had a slight surge after I let off the gas. It was almost as if the boost had nowhere to go and kept going for a fraction of a second. My old Audi never seemed to do this. That being said I had an aftermarket diverter valve on it.

Background: The car is bone stock. It has the factory short shifter kit on it. I used to drive a turbo AWD Audi, so I am somewhat familiar with turbo lag and AWD drive train lag. This was different. I'm a decent standard driver, I have driven many standard cars, even those with notoriously weak clutches (1996 maxima). I've never had a problem with them. I used to AutoX in college and was pretty good (my stock Audi could always keep up with the modified ones).

Anyway, just wondering what everyones thoughts were? I am probably being paranoid. The car drives fine. I am also paranoid that my clutch will explode since a few 2008's have, but so far it's been great.

Any thoughts? BTW, I know it belongs in the "encounters" section, but I saw a black 5-door getting off 128 on to rt 2 in in Lexington today as I got on to 128, I waved, but we both had tinted windows, so I couldn't tell. My wife rolled her eyes and made fun of me.....again.

Thanks,
ToddM

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I'd say it is a normal noise. All part of the Subaru experience, lol. I get a similar noise in my 09.

BTW, Welcome to 3gWRX!

joneSi

EDIT: Maybe the BPV making noise. IDK, just a guess.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
It's pretty hard to troubleshoot a problem based on a noise that happened once. If it happens again try to get a better read on where it is coming from, and when specifically it happens. If it doesn't happen again I wouldn't worry about it. Cars make noises, and worrying about every single errant noise will drive you crazy.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Cars make noise, fo sho. Subies even more so...The new ad campaign should be:

Love. That and weird/funny underhood noises are what makes a Subaru, a Subaru.

joneSi

·
Registered
62 Posts
Sounds to me like you are just hearing an '08 tranny loaded heavy from the wheel side instead of the engine side for the first time. Also a note on the off-throttle 'surge'. I'm pretty sure this is due to the fact that our drivetrain mounts are made of rubber bands. I'm getting the Group-N tranny mount soon to tighten it up a bit. Also looking forward to the Perrin Subframe Lockdown System (SLS) that tightens up the rear subframe/diff SUBSTANTIALLY. There is an ungodly amount of slop in this driveline on these cars.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey, thanks for the replies. I should probably not be such a freak about all the noises, but I definitely think I have "Auto-hypochondria" at times.

Miner, I agree, the car does seem to have a large amount of driveline slop. I notice it if I let off the gas in 1st too quickly much more than in my old cars, it does a bit of the rubber banding thing.

Thanks!

ToddM

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I would say the whirring is the transmission break-in noise while the surge may be the infamous throttle hang experienced by the drive-by-wire system.

Welcome and enjoy.

BTW no WRX can be merely called a "leftover" ;)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
get a tune to help with the throttle, look into tactrix opensource tuning, it's a lot cheaper than cobb -- fixing the throttle mapping will help with the "rubber banding" bounce you get when you let off the throttle... PM me if you want more info

sounds like your revvs didn't match and what you heard was the transmission/syncros matching up for you, the "jump" was you letting off of the clutch too fast and slowing the car down

nothing to be worried about, I've shifted so hard that it makes the subframe pop

1 - 10 of 10 Posts