3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More info
http://www.subiesport.com/2008/08/2009-wrx---a-wh.html

Wow seems the body structure has also been improved. Increased rigidity and some process designs from the STi.
Locking center diff 50:50 power distribution from the get go with variable adjustments based on conditions.
Upgraded gear box.

Sucks that the writer mentions "those unlucky enough to have bought an 08"

Now I understand the hate thread. I'd feel the same way if they did the same to STi :-X

·
Registered
216 Posts
Although the 09's are "a whole new beast," we all bought our 08's knowing its capabilities. This kind of stuff always happens, whether its in the automotive industry or in the tech industry. I mean look at what Apple does. They release a newly refreshed product almost every 6 months. At least for us we're able to buy aftermarket products to put us on semi-par of that of the newly refreshed model.

PLUS! For me this is my first Subaru, and having come from a 2002 honda civic... this car is a world of difference to what my old honda was. So let us all allocate our jealously towards the 09's into something we can aspire up to, much like the STI's. :)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just another level to reach right? :)
I understand the progression since going from an 05 STi to an 08 STi, there is still a world of difference. However it was still an STi, not debadged to a 2.5GT after the upgrades. I think that blows.

But yeah Civic to WRX = ;D

They also did more testing and shows that other than power, so on the downhill and tight courses, the performance of the 09 WRX is on par with the GD STi, which was shocking in itself.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I understand the progression since going from an 05 STi to an 08 STi, there is still a world of difference. However it was still an STi, not debadged to a 2.5GT after the upgrades. I think that blows.

They also did more testing and shows that other than power, so on the downhill and tight courses, the performance of the 09 WRX is on par with the GD STi, which was shocking in itself.

So wait in certian situations the 09 WRX is on par with the 08 STi?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

So wait in certian situations the 09 WRX is on par with the 08 STi?

GD (04-07) not the GR :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
More info

Wow seems the body structure has also been improved. Increased rigidity and some process designs from the STi.
Locking center diff 50:50 power distribution from the get go with variable adjustments based on conditions.
Upgraded gear box.

Now I understand the hate thread. I'd feel the same way if they did the same to STi :-X
The article kinda reads like it's the all 3rd gen (08's and 09's) impreza wrx that have a the rigid body structure. Not sure, it sounds like an ad so it's unclear.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
More info

Upgraded gear box.

The article kinda reads like it's the all 3rd gen (08's and 09's) impreza wrx that have a the rigid body structure. Not sure, it sounds like an ad so it's unclear.
There were also other articles back metioning minor structure refinements to adjust for the increased power output. Much like the reinforcements applied to the STi's body. I think it consisted of additional sheet metal in critical areas.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
what exactly is the challenge anyways? ???

i think for all 08 owners who are happy w/ their car... GREAT!

if not happy....

A: mod car

B: trade in on 09

the challenge is only what you make it. i can't spend all my life keeping up w/ the Jones. instead, i would rather love the life and the stuff i already have.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The challenge of course are only for those up to it.
Much like tuning the STi to match cars of higher performance classes. Every time they improve, it's another hurdle to go over.
Or practicing more than the other guy to turn in better lap times.

Its only for those with the competitive heart.

I am happy with what my car can do but I would also want to remain competitive at the track. Because of what I do, there would be no reason for me to compete just to lose much less lose bad.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I think it is all in the perception. I will never, no matter what car I have or how much I mod, be able to keep up with the next guy. I can and have done some simple things and have made '08 into almost exactly what I wanted. Cobb/Perrin Stage 1, SPT CBE, Rallitek Sways and Endlinks have pretty much given me a great highway car. Get some nice summer performance tires and I bet it would be a better car than I am driver.

Speaking of tires,wait for the first snow and see how happy those 2009 Owners are on their summer performance tires.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Although the 09's are "a whole new beast," we all bought our 08's knowing its capabilities. This kind of stuff always happens, whether its in the automotive industry or in the tech industry. I mean look at what Apple does. They release a newly refreshed product almost every 6 months. At least for us we're able to buy aftermarket products to put us on semi-par of that of the newly refreshed model.

PLUS! For me this is my first Subaru, and having come from a 2002 honda civic... this car is a world of difference to what my old honda was. So let us all allocate our jealously towards the 09's into something we can aspire up to, much like the STI's. :)
I have to agree. I bought the car because it was the car I wanted, nobody has a crystal ball and tech is always advancing.. Here in Canada the the '09 is priced $3k more than what I paid for my '08, so at the end everybody knows the last year of a generation is usually the best one to go with, but then the following year, there is a whole new gen. Either way '08 or '09 are great cars, we just have $3k more to play with and try and catch up to an '09.

on a side note, I'd like to see a track test between a stock '09 and a stage 2 '08 with sways and springs. :eek:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Come on. you guys must of had a huch that the 09 would be better after the 08 was getting poor reviews. I did.
I went car-less for 8 months waiting for a better wrx.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Come on. you guys must of had a huch that the 09 would be better after the 08 was getting poor reviews. I did.
I went car-less for 8 months waiting for a better wrx.
The turbo change was a little unexpected. The suspension changes wouldn't have been unusual though. They usually retool em every 2 years, so I don't think anyone expected it. Still, the changes didn't really change the car completely. They are changes for the positive, but the car still drives pretty much the same when you drive it hard.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think MY08 the so called "NEW GENERATION WRX" owners have been well and truly shafted by Subaru, is this car the "NEW NEW GENERATION" should they change the "NEW GENERATION tag they are still sell selling these MY08 with? These arnt minor progressive vehicle improvements. Thats one short generation, how many months was it out for? Resale value and compared drivability between the two vehicles will be miles apart. Subaru should come to the party with free or discounted upgrades or subsidised trade ins, or my next car is a ??????? :mad: Stand up MY08 "NEW GENERATION WRX" owners contact Subaru like i have and let them know that we dont like getting shafted like this. They,re banking on not much fuss!!!!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
^^first off, that made NO sense. Secondly, if you are complaining about the 09's, don't. They are more slightly more powerful, and handle a bit better, but the driving experience is unchanged for the most part, especially when you drive both cars fast. Magazines have GREATLY exaggerated the differences between the two cars. If anything, drivability was hurt by the fact that the turbo spools later now. Driving an 09 in the mountains on twisty roads is more work than it was to drive my 08 on the same roads as you have to keep it revved up more. Besides, if you are going to mod the car they may as well be the same freaking thing.

Basically, stop complaining, especially if you haven't even driven an 09. I get so sick of hearing the same gripes and rants over and over from people who have no first hand experience behind the wheel of an 09. I guarantee you if you go and drive an 09 it WON'T blow your mind or anything and you WON'T be amazed at what a better driving car it is over the 08.

I traded my 08 for an 09, not because it's so much better, but because the 08 had issues that subaru wouldn't fix and would have been expensive and not a sure thing to fix myself. After having driven an 09 for a couple weeks I can say that I would have been perfectly happy with my 08 rather than the 09 had the 08 not had those issues.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I traded my 08 for an 09, not because it's so much better, but because the 08 had issues that subaru wouldn't fix and would have been expensive and not a sure thing to fix myself. After having driven an 09 for a couple weeks I can say that I would have been perfectly happy with my 08 rather than the 09 had the 08 not had those issues.
This is good to know. I can tell you that Subaru could have gotten me to buy an 08 over an 09. The 5 door is a MUST for me. I can't find a base or premium 5 door around here or the next closest big market (or in Chicago) at a dealer that I will do business with (NOT Subaru of Schaumburg. Too many horror stories). The 08's have slightly better financing, a little dealer cash ($500 right now, I think), and are cheaper (by $500 or so) for their MSRP. I liked the 2008 a LOT when I drove it. I like the ability of the buyer to change out 'softer' parts for 'harder' ones, especially those that are offered by subaru, which I'd have left except for the springs. I could have really enjoyed a slightly more mature car in the stock 08 wrx...but will also enjoy an 09.

joneSi

·
Registered
60 Posts
I needed a new car in early 08, so I made my choice! As far as I'm concerned I made the right one! If something unfortunate happens to my current 08 then I'll be out shopping for 09's+. You have to play with the cards you
are dealt with.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts