Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
September 18, 2008

Dealer Announcement – Subaru Recall WVF-16 Turbo Charger Oil Supply Pipe

Subaru of America, Inc. has initiated a voluntary Safety Recall to inspect, modify and possibly replace the turbo charger oil supply pipe on approximately 16,715 2007 & 2008 Legacy 2.5GT / Outback 2.5XT, 2008 Impreza WRX (except STI) and a very small number of early production 2009 Forester 2.5XT models.

Campaign code WVF-16 has been assigned to this Safety Recall.
Affected vehicles may have been manufactured with a turbo charger oil supply pipe that was deformed due to misalignment during the assembly process. If the pipe is deformed, vibration experienced during normal driving could result in a crack developing over time, causing an engine oil leak. There is a safety risk associated with this condition. If leaking oil contacts components operating at high temperatures, an engine compartment fire could result.

This recall will involve inspection of the turbo charger oil supply pipe for proper alignment. If the pipe is found to be properly aligned, it will be necessary to install a support bracket as a precautionary measure to increase rigidity of the pipe. If the pipe is found to be deformed, a new replacement pipe and support bracket must be installed. A Recall Campaign bulletin will be released during the week of October 6th. The bulletin will provide additional information
concerning inspection and repair procedures.

General information concerning this Safety Recall:
• Recall Campaign Bulletin - the bulletin is expected to be released during the week of October
6th.
• Repair parts - Information concerning the availability of repair parts will be released in the
near future.
• Owner notification - owner notification letters are expected to be mailed during the week of
October 20th.
http://wrxfanatics.com/blog/2008/09/subaru...-line/#more-141
DIGG IT!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Oh great. My car is going to catch fire. Thanks for the heads up on this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've got an AVO 380 turbo on order...will the defective part still need to be replaced? Or will swapping out the turbo also fix this issue?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Oh Goodie... Can't Wait! :-\

Thanks for the heads up... I wanted to take a little peak, myself. The inlet is located on top of the Turbo... right?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
it will have been fun if they recall the entire turbo and put back the new wrx turbo instead :p

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
it will have been fun if they recall the entire turbo and put back the new wrx turbo instead :p
Intresting thought.... Never going to happen, but still an interesting thought :-\

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That would require too much work and a reflash...even then you wouldn't have the DP either so your not going to have the performance gain.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
This would be quite awesome wouldn't it ;D

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
maybe mine will catch fire..... wouldnt be to bad at this point with all the problems im having...
Like what? Just curious.
I've had a whole a/c swap already :-\ along with that ECU reprogram which luckily I tuned right after break-in :)
Paint stinks even with the 3m :-\ . Some lady ripped off one of my doors :mad:
Moisture in the head and tail lamps. :( 2 sets of endlinks snapped :eek:

But then again. Kicking @$$ and taking numbers, the boxer rumble, storage space and I love the looks. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
21 Posts
in sa we had ours replaced months ago! mine done in may to be more precise! faulty desigh of the original pipe more like the reason!
mmmm....y u guys up north only gettin this now or is it different?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
in sa we had ours replaced months ago! mine done in may to be more precise! faulty desigh of the original pipe more like the reason!
mmmm....y u guys up north only gettin this now or is it different?
No clue, but the guys here are great in giving a bunch of heads up with service bulletins or what not. all i gotta do i s pay attention :)

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
will it matter if my engine is modded when i bring it in? like will they make note of it or anything or should i just disguise it? haha
Haha well I can say that if I were a dealer I'd definitely note it, but it really depends on them...

If you've got obvious mods you might be SOL if you are trying to keep warranty...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got an unofficial update:

http://wrxfanatics.com/blog/2008/09/update-stop-sale-subaru-recall-wvf-16-turbo-charger-oil-supply-line/
http://digg.com/submit?phase=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwrxfanatics.com%2Fblog%2F2008%2F09%2Fupdate-stop-sale-subaru-recall-wvf-16-turbo-charger-oil-supply-line%2F&title=Update%3A%20Subaru%20Recall%20WVF-16%20Turbo%20Charger%20Oil%20Supply%20Line"]DIGG IT[/url]

Unit 91 over at NASIOC has supplied an update to the aformentioned SoA recall:

Update: Subaru Recall WVF-16 Turbo Charger Oil Supply Pipe
SAFETY DEFECT STOP SALE NOTICE
September 22, 2008
As described in a Subarunet notice posted on September18th, Subaru of America, Inc. has initiated a voluntary Safety Recall to inspect, modify and possibly replace the turbo charger oil supply pipe on approximately 16,715 2007 & 2008 Legacy 2.5GT / Outback 2.5XT, 2008 Impreza WRX (except STI) and a very small number of early production 2009 Forester 2.5XT models. Campaign code WVF-16 has been assigned to this Safety Recall. A countermeasure was made in production on vehicles produced beyond the affected range.

Please be advised that it is a violation of Federal law for a dealer to deliver a new motor
vehicle covered by a recall under a sale or lease until the defect is remedied. Therefore,
beginning immediately, any vehicles within the affected range that are currently in your new
or used car inventory are placed on STOP SALE until the campaign is performed.
Notify all Sales and Service personnel that any vehicles within the affected range are not to
be sold until the defect has been resolved.

The Defect
Affected vehicles may have been manufactured with a turbo charger oil supply pipe that was deformed due to misalignment during the assembly process. If the pipe is deformed, vibration experienced during normal driving could result in a crack developing over time, causing an engine oil leak. There is a safety risk associated with this condition. If leaking oil contacts components operating at high temperatures, an engine compartment fire could result.

The affected vehicle range is:
Model From To
2007MY Legacy Sedan 2.5GT 7*200020 7*215147
2007MY Legacy Wagon 2.5GT / Outback Wagon 2.5XT 7*300013 7*346075
2008MY Legacy Sedan 2.5GT 8*200004 8*222000
2008MY Outback Wagon 2.5GT 8*300006 8*351020
2008MY Impreza WRX 4 Door 8*500002 8*522433
2008MY Impreza WRX 5 Door 8*800005 8*823185
2009MY Forester 2.5XT 9*700001 9*700139

* Various Characters may occupy this position
Dealers will be sent an individual list of affected inventoried vehicles by their Distributor / Regional Sales Distribution office.

How to resolve the safety defect…

This recall will involve inspection of the turbo charger oil supply pipe for proper alignment. If the pipe is found to be properly aligned, it will be necessary to install a support bracket as a precautionary measure to increase rigidity of the pipe. If the pipe is found to be deformed, a new replacement pipe and support bracket must be installed. A Recall Campaign bulletin will be released during the week of October 6, 2008. The bulletin will provide additional information concerning inspection and repair procedures. We are currently sourcing the brackets needed for the inspection/ installation and expect inventory during the week of October 15, 2008. All repair information will be posted on Subarunet as soon as it becomes available.

Current inventory of the actual oil supply pipe is of the countermeasure type. If you have a sale pending, the campaign can be completed by replacing the oil supply pipe using part number 15192AA512. While this is not the actual campaign procedure, it will allow you to sell a vehicle until the campaign parts are available. When the actual campaign parts are available, the procedure will be to perform an inspection, using the campaign support bracket as a template to determine if it is necessary to replace the pipe or just install the bracket.

Additional information will be provided as soon as it is available.
I will keep you updated as I find out more.

·
Registered
502 Posts
My vin is 8G825275 (08 wrx 5 dr) purchased in may of this year, does that mean i'm not effect? I dont know if its a good or bad thing that im not in the vin range. I wonder if I can buy the support brackets from subaru and install it as an extra precaution.

1 - 20 of 150 Posts