Subaru WRX Forums banner

121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Haha I'm looking to go in to get the work done, and after hearing some of the deals on the STIs that they're running...

I might be driving away in a different car...
Deals on STi's you got a link?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I did a VF40 swap, do I need to go for this recall?

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
are the blown struts due to your STi pinks you think? I was going to get those but if it is traced to the sti pinks I think ill pass..

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
are the blown struts due to your STi pinks you think? I was going to get those but if it is traced to the sti pinks I think ill pass..
08 struts are notorious for leaking blowing. :(

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
is that due to after market springs? I have had stock since day 1 and I have 18XXX on my car now with no problem..

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
mine are OK, I've put at least 20,000+ miles on them with the STi pinks

I think the main problem was people installing them the wrong way (squeezing the cylinders with vice grips, tipping them upside-down, etc)

·
Registered
192 Posts
mine are OK, I've put at least 20,000+ miles on them with the STi pinks

I think the main problem was people installing them the wrong way (squeezing the cylinders with vice grips, tipping them upside-down, etc)
Install errors are not the problem. Stock struts blow.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
that's entirely possible but out of the 6-8 people I know with 08s who have aftermarket springs on factory struts, none of them have had a problem... I've only seen it on this forum with people who installed them all wrong

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
here is no really wrong way to install struts, i do admit that the vice grips might not have been the best idea , but where i used the vice grips there was no way that they could get near the seal to damage it. either way i am getting new ones for free. There have been quite a few people that installed them right or had them installed and they still have destroyed the stock struts. Subaru has admitted and my dealer also told me they know the 08 struts are crap.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
1- using vice grips on any sort of shock is not the correct way to do it... it might "work" but it's still wrong (sort of like jamming a screwdriver in an oil filter to remove it). the 100% correct way to do it (and the way subaru service technicians are trained to do it) is listed here: http://www.driveperformance.subaru.com/version5_2/feature.asp

2- subaru hasn't admitted anything officially... some rep might have told you that to be nice but there's no TSB on the 08 shocks

3- dealers (service writers that is) notoriously don't know what they're talking about, see #2 above

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I'm glad... subaru replaced my pressure valve thing in my gas tank for free when it had a spider web in it... the dealer charged me $300 to poke a screwdriver in there... it was broken the day I bought it though, and the SOA rep said he had heard of 3 other people have the same problem... so SOA took care of it... no TSB on it so it's not an official problem.

this is just one of those things we run into with a new design

121 - 140 of 150 Posts