Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see everyone, or most everyone doing all these mods on these new cars. I want to buy the borla catback but am afraid it's going to void the new car warranty. Anyone know if buying just a catback will void any aspect of the warranty ??? Thanks!

·
Registered
243 Posts
talked to my dealership last week about this very issue he said at that place they ignore cat backs but turbo backs they ignore but its cutting it... of FMIC and such void it

·
Registered
7 Posts
I see everyone, or most everyone doing all these mods on these new cars. I want to buy the borla catback but am afraid it's going to void the new car warranty. Anyone know if buying just a catback will void any aspect of the warranty ??? Thanks!
When I got my STi in 04 I asked my dealer the same thing. They told me a Cat-back and intake would not hurt any thing. But each dealer is different.

Also if I remember right the law states that they have to prove the mod you put on caused the problem that made you bring the car in for warranty work. Now I’m sure this will involve courts and lawyers and that kind of expensive stuff. But say your have a leaking rear reverse light after a 1000 miles it will be very hard for them to say your cat-back exhaust caused it.

I may be wrong of course.

Bottom line is do what you feel comfortable with.

I was the same way when I started I didn’t want to void any thing. After you do a few things the bug will bite you and you wont care about the warranty any more. I brought the extended warranty when I got the car I went back and got my money back 2 months later and spent it on power mods.

·
Registered
700 Posts
my dealer said i can put SPT stuff on my car if they install it and thats about it. :(........ i have a CBE but don't care bout voiding my exhuast warranty. just keep the stock stuff so if you need warranty service you can change it back but its a real pain changing that stuff sometimes.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Its illegal to void a complete warrenty, if you change your catback then of course your exhaust and related thing wont be warranty anymore since its no more on the car

·
Registered
498 Posts
In the States at least, the only way they a mod can void a warranty is if the mod directly affects the problem with the car. It seems like they try to void the whole warranty with any mod, but they can't. For the most part, a catback muffler is nothing more than a noise maker so you are safe. I personally believe they are a much needed noisemaker, since I have had them on all my Subarus!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
;D
thanks for the help, I'm going to call the parts department at rafferty subaru and ask them, but I would think it's basically just a noisemaker that really doesn't affect the engine or anything else. Does anyone think that if I bought a borla catback I could have the subaru dealer install it too?

·
Registered
519 Posts
I say just keep all your stock parts and if there is any doubt just reinstall the stock parts then take it for the warranty work. That is what I will do if need be.

Seth

·
Registered
2,522 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well my dealer has a has a performance shop that sells reputable aftermarket parts from cobb, gfb, spt, etc. i figure if they are gonna sell you a AP or cbe it wont void your warranty. this is mastro subaru in tampa btw, great dealership!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Maita Subaru in Sacramento also sells performance upgrades.

Their price for parts are competitive (Cobb sport springs $250, Accessport $695, etc.). But install is horrendous! $650 to install springs!!

So I would have to say that any part that the dealership offers will not void the warranty, but they may have some clause saying that installation must be done by the dealership.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i think best option right now is stick with th car again is 08 we never know what will go wrong with this car, dont do anything major not yet ... my way of thinking I think I will wait for major upgrades maybe after 1 yr or 2 .. =)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts