Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am furious. More power, more stuff, and probably for the same cost. Thanks Subaru for KILLING OUR RESALE VALUES...

So ticked...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Im thinking of writting a hatemail to apple for offering a better iphone for cheaper...

as for canadian owner, a WRX is still a WRX... only the WRX265 will have all the extra goodies

·
Registered
239 Posts
Get over it, there will always be better/faster. The value of a new car drops like a stone the minute you drive it off the lot anyway. As it is the 08 was never slow. Went for a reasonable long drive today and Betty just ate it up. Simply change out the suspension and exhaust and you will love the car. ;D Just remember that the higher power 09 will not help the value of pre 08 WRX's either.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Just make your car faster. ;)

·
Registered
519 Posts
And guess what the 09's won't be worth anything when the 2010 cars comes out, so who cares. A WRX is not an investment no car is. GET OVER IT!!! Mod your car and enjoy it. Trying to keep up with Jones' will never payoff.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, all of this "get over it" response it awesome. Coming from someone who has worked in the import automotive business for years, maybe I know what happens when the manufacture does this. Most (nearly all) models from any maker have a shelf live of 3-4 years before any major change is made (i.e. powerplant change)

Also, "make your car faster", not the point.

If anyone was misunderstanding the point, all I was saying is we got the shaft. Not that I thought a vehicle was an investment or that I am crying because it is now slower.

My apology to anyone I offended by saying we got fucked a little.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
no doubt that we got shafted a little. pointless to approach soa on this due to an automated reply that everyone has gotten in return. i think it is great that subaru is continuing to improve the model but i understand your frustration. big upgrades in 1 model year. it doesn't seem like they spent a lot of time on designing the 08 wrx but they did listen to the owners and made improvements to the 09. the 09 would be a better platform to mod from because you won't have to improve as much on suspension, turbo and exhaust etc... i still love my 08 and it will outperform the 09 w/ the mods i have done but it will not take much modding of the 09 to spank my 08. sucks to be us... life is a bitch... pass the nuts.

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
it doesn't seem like they spent a lot of time on designing the 08 wrx but they did listen to the owners and made improvements to the 09.
That's the point, they did listen...

Props to them for taking what's been said and actually acting on it...

Haha it just sucks that I sold my car a year early, I'm not too worried about the power increase because I'll get past that in a hurry...

My last car was a convertible and a sunroof would have been a nice thing to ween me off of it haha...

~Mike

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
still won't the present WRX still exist as the 2.5I GT??

·
Registered
577 Posts
yes, as an auto though....

Personally i was kinda bummed at first. but then thought... Wow, they listened to all the gripes and complains of the consumer and actually DID something. not many auto companies (if any) listen to their loyal customers anymore. just gotta roll with what happened.

and mod our car to be better. ;D

I would assume that the 09 stuff will fit the 08. boy I hope because I have a feeling we are gonna start seeing a lot of parts become available.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
since the STI spoiler will now also be the WRX spoiler it will probably drop in prices since it will be more accessible ;D I did not notice any changes on the N/A model tho

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

Personally i was kinda bummed at first. but then thought... Wow, they listened to all the gripes and complains of the consumer and actually DID something. not many auto companies (if any) listen to their loyal customers anymore. just gotta roll with what happened.

I would assume that the 09 stuff will fit the 08. boy I hope because I have a feeling we are gonna start seeing a lot of parts become available.
I think assuming they did it because the gripes of a few enthusiasts is pretty silly. They did it to stay competitive with other cheaper cars that had more of an edge, no to mention to compete with the new ralliart. If it weren't for the competition we would have seen NO changes at all. It's business as usual, nothing new.

·
Registered
577 Posts
true. never really thought about that.

·
Registered
467 Posts

I think assuming they did it because the gripes of a few enthusiasts is pretty silly. They did it to stay competitive with other cheaper cars that had more of an edge, no to mention to compete with the new ralliart. If it weren't for the competition we would have seen NO changes at all. It's business as usual, nothing new.

this will support why more HP.
http://autos.aol.com/article/power/v2/_a/speed-comparisons-surprise-winners/20080909155909990001

08 subi vs 08 camry

Toyota Camry V-6 vs. Subaru WRX
0-60: 5.8 seconds || 0-60: 5.8 seconds
1/4: 14.3 @ 93 mph || 1/4: 14.4 @ 95 mph

·
Registered
112 Posts
oh wow they're comparing us to a camry, we should be insulted! forreal though, it is pretty busty that we <i>could</i> have had something better if we waited. but truth is a new faster model shouldn't change our perception on what we once thought of our cars...i'm sure we all loved our cars the minute we drove off the lot (and lost a few grand of value instantly :p), and that first time we hauled ass and it put a smile on our face, hell it still does ;D

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
That comparison is dumb, and is nothing new. If anything it is a testament to the US market's blatant stupidity. HP has become little more than something to brag about here, nevermind the fact that you can hardly use all that power in a FWD car with an open differential. There are plenty of other cars that are faster than the WRX in a straight line. The wrx is NOT a fast car (stock), it's just not. It wasn't even that fast when it first came to the states in 2002. Cars like the camry are not the reason why the WRX is getting a power bump in 09. People just do not cross shop WRX's and camry's. The driving experience is as dissimilar as it possibly could be. People, however, will cross shop the ralliart with the WRX, and they already do cross-shop the MS3, both of which had more power than the wrx had in 08 and previous years and are wrx's direct competition.

·
Registered
182 Posts
If you are talking about which car is faster and what not I dont think it will have too much of an edge imo. From what I can remember it does have more HP but at the end of the day our AWD will take its RWD off the line any day and will stay up a pretty good distance till ending the track. So like I said, I dont think they got any better of a car than we did.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
If you are talking about which car is faster and what not I dont think it will have too much of an edge imo. From what I can remember it does have more HP but at the end of the day our AWD will take its RWD off the line any day and will stay up a pretty good distance till ending the track. So like I said, I dont think they got any better of a car than we did.
What car are you talking about? I don't recall mention of any RWD car in this thread.

·
Registered
182 Posts
What car are you talking about? I don't recall mention of any RWD car in this thread.
The 09 wrx is RWD

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The 09 wrx is RWD
^^^^ You have a link to that?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts