Discussion Starter #1
looks like FHI underrated the motor just a little bit

pic courtesy of subytek

dynojet, 3rd gear pull

look at the torque #'s!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I just got a chance to see what my upper boost ranges were since putting my boost gauge in my 09. My gauge was actually showing 16.x psi, close to 17, which is considerably more than I thought the 09's were supposed to come with, and I am at ~10k feet elevation (if that is any indicator of what the turbo is capable of). Still, this is a maddad clarity ultra gauge that I just purchased to replace my inaccurate STRI gauge, so I have yet to compare it to what the ECU is seeing. I'm hoping it's normal or that my boost gauge is inaccurate. I'll have to go check the tubing to make sure I don't have any kinks or anything.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FHI advertises 13.3 psi (14.7 for the STi), so that would be quite a jump :)

I take it all stock?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Yah, all stock. I wish I could install my AP on the car and check all that stuff since I don't have another OBDII tool, though I have to wait till the new firmware comes out. I'll do some testing tomorrow and compare readings to what I see with my STRI gauge (which reads low ~1-2psi, but is accurate other than that).

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Well I got impatient and quickly wired up my STRI gauge. Man, what a POS, it used to read 1-2psi less than actual, but now it reads closer to 4psi lower. My maddad gauge saw 15psi in second gear, and the stri gauge saw barely slightly below 15psi (factoring in the fact that it zeroes out to approx. -4psi). So the Maddad gauge is probably at least somewhat accurate in terms of the pressure it is seeing. It occurred to me that before I went out this evening I actually had the battery unplugged because I was cleaning up some wiring I did, so I suppose it could have been due to the ECU not having learned yet. Should know tomorro after I do some more driving.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've got a Omori gauge uninstalled at the moment, I'll post up what I'm seeing when I get it in

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well I got impatient and quickly wired up my STRI gauge. Man, what a POS, it used to read 1-2psi less than actual, but now it reads closer to 4psi lower. My maddad gauge saw 15psi in second gear, and the stri gauge saw barely slightly below 15psi (factoring in the fact that it zeroes out to approx. -4psi). So the Maddad gauge is probably at least somewhat accurate in terms of the pressure it is seeing. It occurred to me that before I went out this evening I actually had the battery unplugged because I was cleaning up some wiring I did, so I suppose it could have been due to the ECU not having learned yet. Should know tomorro after I do some more driving.
The stock 08 sits around 10-11 psi, mine is pro-tuned, so it has been set to peak around 15psi for reliability. It will be interesting to see what gains can be made on the 09 if stock is 15 psi.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
yah, we'll see though. my guess is that something is a little off or that my ecu needs to learn since I last reset it. We'll see, if it keeps up maybe I'll have subaru check it out. Would be nice if my AP worked with the 09 so I could check out what the ECU is seeing. I'd much rather not go buy another OBDII tool/gauge just to have it go unused after Cobb updates their firmware.

·
Registered
74 Posts
^ Seriously. How come it takes 3 months for 09 maps? I bought my car 9/23 and COBB is saying new year's..... Maybe there too busy working on the 08-09 STi exhaust that they've been developing for over a year now.....weird

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
^ Seriously. How come it takes 3 months for 09 maps? I bought my car 9/23 and COBB is saying new year's..... Maybe there too busy working on the 08-09 STi exhaust that they've been developing for over a year now.....weird
I know it is hard to wait... but give them some time... I waited a couple of months before I got base maps for my 08. Maps are not the only thing they are working on.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
The stock 08 sits around 10-11 psi, mine is pro-tuned, so it has been set to peak around 15psi for reliability. It will be interesting to see what gains can be made on the 09 if stock is 15 psi.
Wow it seems that it is already at 15psi. How much more can the oem motor handle eh?

http://www.caradvice.com.au/17284/2009-subaru-wrx-sedan-hatch/

States:
Tech Talk:Intercooler capacity is up to 14.0 kW, from 12.1 kW in the MY08 model, while the bigger turbocharger sees maximum boost increased from 78 kPa to 103 kPa. A revised exhaust system provides a 30 per cent reduction in gas flow restriction, to match the new turbocharger performance and increase engine power.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
^^I wonder why that article says 15psi, yet subaru claimed significantly lower? Maybe that's for the australian model only (probably not)?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I read that same article, thinking it made sense that they may upgrade the intercooler w/ a bigger turbo, BUT I had a guy w/ a 08 post pics and take measurements (we even counted fin numbers!) and they appear to be identical. Not sure where they came up w/ that- unless down under they did in fact get a uprated intercooler (or maybe we've had the uprated all along???)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I read that same article, thinking it made sense that they may upgrade the intercooler w/ a bigger turbo, BUT I had a guy w/ a 08 post pics and take measurements (we even counted fin numbers!) and they appear to be identical. Not sure where they came up w/ that- unless down under they did in fact get a uprated intercooler (or maybe we've had the uprated all along???)
did he remove the intercooler or just look at it while it was on the car? my guess is that any dimensional change would be in depth due to the way that the scoop/hood is designed as well as the attachment points of this style of tmic, which would make it hard to compare while it is on the car. I could be wrong. Plus, the fact that perrin and rallitek are trying to offload their intercoolers says something imo.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts