Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
the stock 08 graph versus the stock 09 graph looked about right. There really isn't a drastic difference till the td04 dies out above 4k on the 08, which is what I've been saying in response to any of the "ZOMG THE 09's ARE SO MUCH BETTERER THAN THE 08's" comments, and that graph really demonstrates that. Still, those stage I and stage II results for the 09's surprise me, in a good way.

The boost they were seeing on the stock mapping also puts my mind at ease a little as I was thinking that I was getting boost spikes to 16.5-17psi when the turbo spooled up, though it seems that that's just the way it is mapped.

I know I will at least reflash to stage I, primarily for safety sake to get rid of that lean condition on the stock mapping, but I am not sure that I'll go any further, and especially till I replace the stock intercooler with something a little more sturdy.

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
Yeah, I was waiting for some real dyno posts to shut-up the whiners ::)

It's a different car, but it's not like the 08s have become a paper weight...

09s have a little more room for growth, but hey we're still contenders ;D...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Yeah, I was waiting for some real dyno posts to shut-up the whiners ::)

It's a different car, but it's not like the 08s have become a paper weight...

09s have a little more room for growth, but hey we're still contenders ;D...
We have the same room to grow. You put a avo380, exhaust, dp, tmic, and tune on both wont they put the same numbers since they are the same engine?

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
Their stage 2 will always be higher... But it's not as much of a gap as people were making it out to be...

Part for part of course we can be the same, but heck my old Eclipse had a fully built engine from a diamante that stock had a half liter more displacement than any other 3g eclipse out there, without considering the fact that it had a turbo hiding under the hood as well...

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
In the end it will be about the driver right? ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
The '09s have a larger turbo. Until you either match their turbo (vf52) or get a better/bigger one, the '09 is always going to be faster at the same stages.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
The '09s have a larger turbo. Until you either match their turbo (vf52) or get a better/bigger one, the '09 is always going to be faster at the same stages.
Unless driver skill compensates for the differences. I am just saying 08 owners definitely have a fighting chance and good driving can definitely overcome this difference. Plus, bragging rights if they come out on top. :)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts

Unless driver skill compensates for the differences. I am just saying 08 owners definitely have a fighting chance and good driving can definitely overcome this difference. Plus, bragging rights if they come out on top. :)

the 09 wrx turbo is a vf46 or a vf52? i thought it was a vf46... i hope i am not off topic here but i am thinking along the lines of upgradeing my turbo and getting a 09 stg2 map instead of trading in my car and loosing thousands on an 09. i feel there will be alot of people thinking along the same lines. so what turbo is on the 09?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

the 09 wrx turbo is a vf46 or a vf52? i thought it was a vf46... i hope i am not off topic here but i am thinking along the lines of upgradeing my turbo and getting a 09 stg2 map instead of trading in my car and loosing thousands on an 09. i feel there will be alot of people thinking along the same lines. so what turbo is on the 09?

Its supposedly the 52 which is the STi turbo with the LGT's front end

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
the 3g sti's is a vf48 i thought??
im positive the 09 wrx has a vf-52 though

from what they told me at the dealership it actually spools at a lower rpm than our td04 because of the angle of the fan blades. Anyone have any info to support or contradict this?

EDIT- after looking at those graphs i think they might be full of shit

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

from what they told me at the dealership it actually spools at a lower rpm than our td04 because of the angle of the fan blades. Anyone have any info to support or contradict this?
Whoops sorry for the lack of detailed info to be more specific, they state it's VF43 (at least in terms of size) with the LGT/WRX compressor housing.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

Whoops sorry for the lack of detailed info to be more specific, they state it's VF43 (at least in terms of size) with the LGT/WRX compressor housing.
and the vf43 is off the 07 sti right?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

and the vf43 is off the 07 sti right?
Yup yup

·
Registered
537 Posts

Ya, I don't see how that is possible when considering those graphs.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

No way, the td04 definitely spools sooner. On the stock mapping it's by about at least 800rpm sooner, if not closer to 1k. It (the VF52) spools later, and slower.

The thing I've learned about dealerships is that they generally know squat about their product other than the VERY basics. Every once in a while you'll find someone who knows what they are talking about, but that's generally because they are a scoob enthusiast of some sort, but other than that they are pretty dumb overall.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Larger turbo = more lag. Not much more to it because of rotating mass. Unless they included a ball bearing magically. Engineering designs can alleviate some discrepancy but not actual physical limitations.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I'd certainly say that the td04 has less lag...but I only drove one once. The 09 wrx (which I have, and don't have a clue which turbo it is, lol) seems quiet down low, then really starts to pull...btwIMO the 09 not as laggy as the 02 stock WRX I drove. I have not had my 09 WOT to 6k yet, as I have 750 miles on it, but I am positive that the 08 was that I drove spooled nice and low and pulled from what I could tell to 5k. On the test drive I didn't go above that. These are two different turbos for sure, and the cars -feel- different engine wise (or turbo wise), but I'm not sure how much different they really are as per people who have had both (Chanke4252), as well as the fact I have driven both (even if I drove the 08 for 15 minutes).

The 09 below 4k is nice, but not nearly as good as the 08. The 08 to 5k is great, but doesn't pull as hard from 4k to 6k (or so) where the 09 rocks.

Either turbo, IMO, has its merits.

joneSi

edited for clarity

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
^^ The 09 WRX turbo is VF52. The 08 seems pretty good for a DD where the driver wouldnt see much time past 4-5K RPM. In the 08, after 5K, it's almost time to shift.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts