Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I been having problem with my temperature gauge needle. Usually after driving from a complete stop the temperature needle would drop down say half way and goes right back up. This usually happens in the morning or if the car sat the whole day, it would do this a few times and then go away for the rest of the day.

PS. I've already check the coolant resivor bottle and its at the full mark when cold.

Heres the link for a video of my problem.

·
Registered
97 Posts
How fast is it actually dropping and going up? Are we talking seconds or minutes?

Edit: nvm while i was typing this you added a video lol

You're not the only one with a weird temp gauge. Mine used to sit perfect at the center line... now its always slightly above it. I have logged and checked, my temps seem fine. Your's is quite strange though...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not to worried about it sitting above the half way mark, but the way the needle moves up and down that fast is what scares me.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
bad thermo?? I would def take that back to subaru. I can't imagine any mod that would cause that issue. You're still under warranty no?

·
Registered
332 Posts
ya did you get this figured out?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually tried a bunch of different ways to fix it, but it ended up fixing it self some how. Every now and then if I drive it hard(WOT) it comes for a bit then goes away next time I start the car.

·
Registered
332 Posts
what ways did you try?

do you think your car is fine though?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Reviving this mofo. Im at 26k and my car has done this before i even staged my car. Ive replaced the thermostat and coolant temperature sensor due to a p0128 code and it has not fixed the problem. Symptoms include rough idle, slow warm up (according to gauge, richness (smells hella rich) bad gas mileage (got 24mpg avg on stage 1 and if i granny it 21 on stage 2) Problem seems to not happen as frequently if i let it sit a long time on startup. However even when fully warmed if i turn it off for any short period of time and then start it and go symptoms happen. Accessport registers (after dtiving 45 mib in 96 degree whether that coolant temp dropped to 153 at a STOPLIGHT. Im pissed off and this needs to go away. Lets put our heads together to fugure this out. From what ive gathered:

1. Is not a cluster issue due to the AP registering a temp drop also that seems to be on par with needle positioning
2. Isnt thermostat or coolant sensor related. Ive changed both to no change in symptoms
3. Its not the tune, im on Eric's stage 2 tune and he confirmed he did not alter the tables

·
Registered
332 Posts
Head gasket?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Same exact stuff happens to me. I don't know what to do.

·
Registered
404 Posts
My coolant levels are fine

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well what would be the next step?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Dealer looked at it, my go fast shop looked at it, my dealer called an engineer, eric reviewed my tune and he came up empty...im at a loss

·
Registered
332 Posts
Everything checked out good?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well the service manager talked to an engineer and he was even baffled

·
Registered
332 Posts
So odd.. I don't notice it as much as I used to.. Just hope the car isn't messed up.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The cars are messed up one way or another. Their not supposed to do that. Im getting ebcs and protune on tuesday so ill see if theres anything left to check out.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts