Subaru WRX Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
N1 = pissed off women and grandparents = BUENO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And yes, WTF were there not stiffer bushings and mounts from the factory? It's a sports car, not a Caprice wagon!
Haha, Yes!!!

My current exhaust is the stock one with the muffler cut out and a straight pipe welded in. Regardless to say the pipe is very restrictive and actually is rusting strangely from where it was cut. It is loud, no mufflers but it is a piece of shit. So I needed to get a new exhaust that met my criteria and the Invidia N1 race did that. So hey!

I couldn't agree more. I will always recommend the transmission mount with the whiteline bushings to anyone and say that it is a must on the WRX and STI. You actually need them, it makes the transmission feel so bullet proof and stout. These mounts improved my friends 11 STI tremendously as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I just say it is restrictive because out of the 4 exits, only one actually allows the gasses out. 1 dirty, the other 3 are clean as hell.

I only got it because it is rusting badly at the welds and I am worried it is going to bust open. I can flick it and little pieces of metal fall off. I needed to buy the pipe. I would have rather bought my RS3's with the money that I spent on the exhaust. But what can you do. Next time, right?

·
Registered
47 Posts
How badly does the transmission mount increase vibration and cabin noise? I know that's not your concern, but I was inquiring for my own curiosity.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
How badly does the transmission mount increase vibration and cabin noise? I know that's not your concern, but I was inquiring for my own curiosity.
There is none that I can tell. I would recommend that you get the group n with the positive shift kit from white line. You won't regret it. The way the transmission feels is so tight. There is no slop. If you get it let me know how happy you are with it! Very easy install too btw.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

Ewww... Right? That exhaust was the stock one with the muffler cut out and an X pipe welded in. What a piece of sh!t.

After I put on the invidia n1 race

My old killed my top end and put me below stock power. I did not know this until I put on this exhaust. Glad this was addressed. It looks good, is light, and is very free flowing!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Track day on the 15th! Cannot wait to take the car out and see how it handles, all of these mods and never tracked it yet!

Wish I could put these on before the track,

They will be going on sometime this month.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So, I had a blast on the June 15th PDE event. Soon as the event was over I realized my brakes were acting funny, when me and my friends decided it was okay to drive home with busted brakes we did more analyzing of the brake system and came to the conclusion that the caliber seals melted. I was running stock braking system minus the pads, I had high performance brake pads in the stock brake system. What I think happened was that the brakes did not fade because the brakepads were good up to 1500 F but the stock caliper could not handle a race pad.

What to do...

Since the stock brakes cannot handle the track I decided to upgrade them. I just ordered a big brake kit for my WRX.

4 Pot wilwood brakes with 2 piece rotors with stainless steel brake lines with a race pad for the front and I will be rebuilding the rear pads until I get more money for the wilwood rears.

Cheers! See ya at Pittrace on July 5th as planned!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Concluded that the reason my rotors and calipers were ruined was due to VDC. Since my spring rates are so high the minimum tire that I can run is R comp. I tracked the WRX on street tires with super high spring rates.

I am faced with decision on how I want to address this issue. I have not decided what I want to do yet. For anyone with a WRX open up fuse box and take out fuse 30A to disable everything (TC, VDC, & ABS).

A stock suspension WRX should not run into this issue because the spring rates match the tire and any tire that is sticker than the stock setup will just bring the level of the car higher.

... I will let people who follow this thread know what I decide to do when I decide to do it.

Stay posted.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The point of this thread is to be a blog/journal for my WRX. So with modding and tracking things can always get better and can get worse.

This is very important for the Subaru community. If one is to run the Invidia n1, it requires long hangers. 3 to be exact. Why do you say that Scott? Because if you do not run the exhaust with 15mm hangers then your axle boot will pop off and the grease inside of it will fall out. A shop would tell you it is cheaper to buy a new axle than it is to have them take the axle off and reboot it with the proper way. What I will be doing is putting in a huge packet of CV grease into the boot and then putting the boot back into its original place with a hose clamp. This should fix the problem of the boot being open to the elements. If later down the road I hear any weird noises coming from the rear left part of the car then I will know it is most likely the axel and I will buy a new one and problem solved.

For the WRX guys I must repeat, if you are not on stock suspension and your tires do not match your spring rates you must take out fuse 30 if you are tracking the car. Auto X people wont be affected because 75 minutes of tracking is way harder on the rotors due to VDS.

The next track event is on July 5th. I will be rolling back up with the same stock tires, same coilover, new Wilwood big brake kit 4 pot with 2 piece rotors in the front, freshly built rear stock calipers with fresh rotors, fresh motul 600 brake fluid, and fuse 30 pulled (only putting it back in for inspection day).

I will post pictures of the things that I listed above in my next post!

Cheers guys keep tracking and thanks for the interest!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I am currently on Vacation but I have some alone time right now. I'm in North Carolina for a wedding. Anyways, I have decided that the car is almost complete! I still have to buy the 18x9.5 or 18x10 rims that will clear my big brake kit. After that I will be buying the rear wilwood 4 pot big brake kit. Following that I will be modding the oil system of the car. Since the car will be pulling do many G's it is important for me to address oil starvation via a couple different oil modifications. I will also be getting rid of the stock downpipe and intake which will require an over the shelf map from Cobb. I will not be brining the WRX to the track until it is completed. I will though hit up a couple auto x events along the way.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Look around, there are generally agreed upon better options than an OTS Cobb map for Stg2. NOt a bad way to go, there are better though.

Seems like you're pretty bugged out on modding you're car, I know the feeling, so I thought I'd share.

I bet it's hot as F in NC right now, used to go to the outer banks for vaca.....hot but gorgeous:)

WORD!

·
Registered
714 Posts
You can still e-tune. Lots of reputable tuners are filling that need and stage 2 is a pretty common tune so the product is nice. I've been real happy with my Torqued Performance maps as I've been through a few upgrades. You can do AP tunes or go Open Source with a Tactrix cable.

Again, lots of happy people on Cobb but, lots who've switched only to find a car that's more peppy!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks for the response!

Today I put on the extended hangers for the exhaust and realized the holes on the exhaust hangers were too big. I did a little research and found out I ordered the wrong size. The kartboy extra long hanger in 15mm is the same length as the 12mm one but the 12mm one is the one that I want. I will be returning the 15mm to Rallysport when the 12mm ones come in. It works for now, it just is not 100% complete. The exhaust now hangs a lot lower which gives the driver side rear axle clearance from the axle boot. I put new CV grease into the poped off axle boot and tightened it back down with a hose clamp. Success!

Also I officially know what rim will clear the big brake kit. 5x100 18x9.5 +40 Enkei NT03+m.

Cannot wait to order them up, I will be putting a 255/35/18 all season tire on them. Then the plan is to order another set of these rims and put on the R comps. I will rotate between the two.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts