Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

225/45-17" tires on stock wheels? I know that the profile/aspect ratio does not matter much, but what about the 20mm wider tire width? Will they just work on the stock wheels?

Thanks,
MrElussive

·
Registered
18 Posts
it will be fine....I have 215/45/17 on my stock rims now....might be tiny bit off the odometer but no biggie

·
Registered
17 Posts
That would work. The recommended wheel width for 225/45/17 tires are 7-8.5 in.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
anyone got pictures of a 225 tire on our stock rims? I was thinking the same thing... but am worried about how bad it would look hanging off the rim like love handles.

·
Registered
344 Posts
yeah, i'm running 225/45R17 on a 7" wheel with a 52mm offset, not even close to rubbing and the tire fits well (it just hangs over the rim a little bit).
Any tpms light? I'm putting on the 225/45 BG Goodrich Super Sport A/S soon :D

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
yeah, i'm running 225/45R17 on a 7" wheel with a 52mm offset, not even close to rubbing and the tire fits well (it just hangs over the rim a little bit).
Any tpms light? I'm putting on the 225/45 BG Goodrich Super Sport A/S soon :D
When I've run with the black prodrives i've just left the sensors out since the tires are almost dead and I don't want to take them out of the OEM wheels yet.

I'm getting the same tires as you when the RE92s get run down...i hope the TPMS sensors will fit on the prodrive wheels...they should.

·
Registered
298 Posts
how in the world did they fit 245s on a 7" wheel??? it'd have to be a huge aspect ratio. 245/50/17 might fit, but 245/40/17 (closest to stock diameter) or even 245/45/17 wouldn't fit.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
no no, they fit...

but there was so much play in the sidewall that any gain in surface area was countered by sloppy tires ...lol.

I wish I could find it though. they did look pretty awesome!

but to answer the question, 225/45-17 will fit just fine on a 7" to 7.5" stock rim and will look somewhat beefy.

EDIT: here's the thread I'm talking about: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791216

·
Registered
298 Posts
no no, they fit...

but there was so much play in the sidewall that any gain in surface area was countered by sloppy tires ...lol.

I wish I could find it though. they did look pretty awesome!

but to answer the question, 225/45-17 will fit just fine on a 7" to 7.5" stock rim and will look somewhat beefy.

EDIT: here's the thread I'm talking about: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=791216
none of the people there with 235 or 245 mm tires were running 7" wheels... 235/245s may fit on the sti wheels, but they will not fit on stock wrx wheels.

225s will fit on a 7" wheel, but it may hurt performance and wear because they're not really meant for a wheel that narrow. hoosier recommends for radial tires the section width be within 1/2" of the tread width. the typical treadwidth for 225mm tires is about 8-9". https://www.hoosiertire.com/faqrr.htm#4 that's for road racing purposes anyway. depending on what you're looking for might change the tire you want.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
dumb answer: yes

it has more surface area so more stuff would be getting thrown back and at a wider area so more of it would be hitting the body on turns, etc...

especially with stickier (summer, r-compound, winter, etc) tires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts