Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 228kw @ Wheels 2009 WRX

Pic of the GTPS02 Turbo just before it got fitted...

·
Registered
0 Posts

228kw is a great result, do you find any lag or loss of low down power with that turbo/intercooler setup?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Yes, the turbo does lag a bit more... To be quite honest I actually miss that power down low that the stock turbo had! But it makes up all of the power in mid and top range, even past 6000rpm. I did have to option of going twin scroll turbo but it would have added an extra $2000 to the price...

feel free to check out the before and after chart of the dyno...

http://au.3gwrx.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=2

·
Registered
179 Posts

Hey Nova,

Kickass result man, you have retuned what subaru detuned for the general public - nice to unleash the beast ha?

Couple of Q's for you to help me with my turbo upgrade & tune this week:

1: No Heat shield on new turbo? - I would have thought that would heat soak that lump of an intercooler quicker? (especially with the PW TMIC hanging directly above the turbo as I noted with mine! Was there some recommendation against putting it back? (I know it needs some slight modification to go back onto a TD05)

2: What was the limiting factor in your tune for your 228Kw. I can see you have a 20G Turbo, 750CC Injectors and a walbro, so I am thinking your fuelling was probably still sub 90% of max as there should be headroom for plenty more boost/fuel in that setup. Did you tune to what is generally considered the max safe capacity of the stock internals? My guess is it would have gone higher, but just trying to get an idea on what the limit is. I have heard 225-230Kw discussed as where people normally stop winding things up without forged internals.

3: What flash/tuning method was used on your car? or was it all done through the utec? on that note whats the purpose of the utec over reflashing stock ECU? is it map switchability?

Nice job mate, You are the measuring stick I am comparing my tunability to, thanks for sharing!

I have gone with the same base Turbo (TD05h 8cm) as you just an 18G compressor not the 20G, will see how spool is on that but should hold 18psi easily which I will bring back down a couple of PSI toward redline as on your boost curve.

All still going well for the rexie?

Sparky

·
Registered
92 Posts

Nova and Sparky,

I want to know more about your cars. My stockpile of parts is growing in the garage, but I am yet to grow the nuts to put it all in the car!!

I want to see what Sparky does and see whether I should get one of them cheap Chinese turbos too!

·
Registered
179 Posts

Will keep you posted Fish. I know I have a pile of boxes building up the corner of the garage too!

The Kando Dynamics Turbos are the good end of the Taiwan Sourced Turbos. with Greddy compressor and Kmak bearings.
There are 'Cheap and nasty' chinese turbos getting around for under $350 new! they are the ones to watch ;-)

Many tuners in the US use these and have no negative feedback from what I can tell. you usually hear about negative feedback on forums as thats where people go to vent. few people take the time to say how good something is ;-)

Anyway, I will let you know how she goes!

Sparky

·
Registered
179 Posts

Following that last post up with a little more info, the Kinugawa Turbo from what I can gather is from a group of companies or divisions. I get the impression Kamak is the parts manufacturing, Kando is the Assembler and Kinugawa is the brand they slap on the completed product. Kamak/Kando OEM Custom brands for a few tuning houses who label these turbos as their own. I know AVO were in discussion with Kamak at one stage, and toured the factory, so for AVO to get as far as a factory tour, there must be some quality about the product. I am assuming they tested samples before arranging a factory visit.

http://www.kamakdynamics.com/

Sorry Nova, this is your thread...... Back to the topic on hand, your weapon of a car.

Sparky

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Sparky, sorry for the late reply...

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. I recently ended up putting the heat shield over the turbo.

2. Yes, my tuner custom tuned the car to a safe (maximum) level without pushing the limits of the internals.

3. All tuning was done with the tuboXS Utec

And lastly everything is going well for my rexie, I managed to get 12.65 at the dragway at eastern creek 2 weeks ago.

But im getting hungrier for more power! So there are plans for a twin scroll turbo, meaning I have to go for Equal Length headers...

And... For the big one... I might be ordering a custom built short block from Rallispec in the USA since our dollar is strong... the engine will be able to handle 25PSI of boost easily! It Features semi-closed deck block, Manley 4340 steel H-beam conrods, Cosworth forged pistons, and uprated main and rod bearings. Factory nitrided crankshaft. I could make about 260 to 270kw at the wheels!

Will keep you updated guys!

·
Registered
6,593 Posts

equal length headers are good for building power. i got a stroker kit from Brian Crower with pro series conrods & a billet crankshaft. these have gone into my EJ207 JDM STI semi closed long block.

·
Registered
417 Posts

Hey Alex,

I have been following this car for a little bit and noticed you clocked a 12.47!! Thats awesome man well done!
Can I ask what MPH you got and what your 60 foot times were? If not sure can post the slip? I love reading that ****!

As for wanting to go for the short block, or at least upgrade the internals a little bit is a very good idea cause the rexies have cast pistons (same as the 3G STI ones) which can melt when they get pushed.. and that is not fun so good call, would be very keen to see how you get around that.

I noticed you are making [email protected], but I think Jim/tunehouse uses the HUB dyno (which on a side note is pretty bloody impressive, very tight dyno, clean as heck white floors - its has hospital grade cleanliness and behaves like a proper windtunnell!).

@wheels would give a lower number, not much though its cause the unsprung weight is easier to turn without them on. NO biggie, when you are crossing the line @12.47 I dont think it matters too much hehe

Also have to say, when I got a bigger turbo on one of the cars I had (Skyline), I did lose some bottom end which sucked in traffic sometimes, but the topend more than makes up for it!! When those revs rise its fully worth it.. unless your trying to drag a 318 BMW to 50KMh and then lose! hahah

Awesome mods Alex well done you should get a vid of your drag run!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Hi BoostJuice!

Thanks for the feedback, here is the printout of the quarter mile run... And also the only video I have was when I did a 12.65

2009 WRX - 12.65sec 1/4 Mile @ 110mph

Attachments

·
Registered
417 Posts

That has to be the best home made drag strip video I have ever seen lol. How did you manage that? Would love to do the same actually looks great. By the way good driving, I look like im having a seizure between shifts im trying to bang em so fast.
Onto the slip, man great times first of all, and your 60 foot time of 1.823, is very good.
Its very well possible to get a 1.7 out of it though, and If you managed to get that down to 1.7 you would see about .2 off your time. Rule of thumb is generally 0.1 saved at the 60 foot mark equates to roughly 0.2 off the 1/4 pass time.
So about a 12.200 - 12.270 is very possible with this car. 110MPH so the car is making some descent power too, especially for the power robbing constant AWD of the rexy.

·
Registered
0 Posts

Hey mate, have yopu had any problems so far with running this much power?

I had mine tuned last week and got 238kw atw, i am a little worried but the tuner thinks it is safe!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Car is still going good! I actually have a new in-take and retuned and now it's at 241kw and 511Nm @ the wheels... Jim is advising not to push the car any further as the factory pistons cannot handle any more power.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts