Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I traded in my 350z for the WRX - I've had it for about 6 months now, there are a few pros and cons..
- can't drive the 350z in the winter at all, even with winter tires
- the WRX is amazing in the snow, and a lot of fun
- the WRX is faster I think, and the same amount of speed comes in a much quieter and smoother package. Its way more pleasent to drive, but still fun.
- turbo lag sucks, the 350z was ready to go pretty much whenever, however traction was always an issue in 1st, which is not the case in the WRX
- off the line, the WRX would kill a 350z
- The 350z is way nicer, it gets more looks, but its all about going sorta fast and you have to suffer through a rough loud ride and having to limit your cargo a lot. The WRX is versitle, it can hold lots of stuff and 4 people, but too bad it looks like every other hatch back out there.. all the more reason to mod

all in all, the 350z is like arm candy, the WRX is the one you want to marry..

has anyone raced a 350z with their WRX?

·
Registered
549 Posts
well.. my wrx sure aint quiet ;D

off the line, i think the wrx will take off on a 350z but in the higher end i believe the 350z will pull on a wrx.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought the WRX wouldn't have the passing power, but my first pass proved that wrong - you feel everything the 350z , the WRX surprises you when you look at the spedometer. I think it'd be neck and neck from 80-120

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yeah, my best friend has a 04 350Z. I can kick his ass till about 120 mph then he'll start to pass me. AWD does have some Cons after all. It's still nice to beat their ass until then, if u reach those speeds of course. :) Handling wise, we got those suckas beat!! hehe

·
Registered
243 Posts
how much more room does the wrx have interior wise? i love power but function always has a place in my heart.. :D

·
Registered
549 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
at stage 1 + a few more psi, i spanked an 07 350z from a dig. From a roll i got the jump and the Z began to pull away very very slow when i was in 4th gear, maybe 1/2 - 1 car length.

·
Registered
549 Posts
stock for stock. 350z really aint got much balls till higher revs.their 300hp dont come till over 6k rpm.. unlike our cars we get our power right after 3k rpm but once we get over 5k its a different story.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
stock for stock. 350z really aint got much balls till higher revs.their 300hp dont come till over 6k rpm.. unlike our cars we get our power right after 3k rpm but once we get over 5k its a different story.
yeah, I'm sure that high end power counts for something.....

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how much more room does the wrx have interior wise? i love power but function always has a place in my heart.. :D
its actually funny - there's a diagram on the inside of the trunk that shows how you can squeeze in 2 golf bags, without pull carts of course..

·
Registered
36 Posts
350z have a lot of torque on the start the wrx will take over few seconds ...but later by bye . my bf have a 04 350z when was stock it beat an evo8 stock also now he just got his engine built APS twin turbo 430hp on WHEELS NOT engine...

Ooo well during winter he keeps bothering me to drive my car ... im like... hahaah i knew it ...
on summer i'llmy car on the track see how much i can do in a 1/2

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
350z have a lot of torque on the start the wrx will take over few seconds ...but later by bye . my bf have a 04 350z when was stock it beat an evo8 stock also now he just got his engine built APS twin turbo 430hp on WHEELS NOT engine...

Ooo well during winter he keeps bothering me to drive my car ... im like... hahaah i knew it ...
on summer i'llmy car on the track see how much i can do in a 1/2
I don't know about that - Launching the 350 while maintaining traction isn't easy, and more then a few WRX owners say they rev it up to 4000rpm to get the best lauch - personally I've never tried reving it that high, yet I still think the WRX will easily beat a 350 off the line... check out these two vids, the WRX is pretty killer off the line...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ef7IIRe2rlU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYGDv5ejHIs&feature=related

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
oh shit. the match with the BMW was extremely close!
does that BMW have the 333hp motor found in the M3?
I have the complete vid, says 265PS so roughly 258-260BHP? Anyhow, thats the S-GT, not the WRX. The S-GT is a better car stock vs stock. Despite the 2.0L vs 2.5L, it has a better turbo, 7500RPM redline and 250PS.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have a 2006 G35 Coupe 6MT and I must say, I really think my WRX is faster. I pretty much agree with everything the original poster said, except for the part about power delivery. I think I like the WRX's power delivery better simply because peak torque is at 2,800 rpm's and stays flat until about 5K or 5.5K rpm's. The G35C has peak torque at 4,400 rpm's and I never feel any real power coming on until I hit 3K rpm and the exhaust valves open up....but then it's cool cuz the exhaust makes a great WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH sound.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went against my friend's 05 350z and I had him off the start (duh). This is my first awd car and the launch felt unfamiliar without the torque steer:) I mistimed my shift into third and he got ahead of me. I would say it gets pretty close between the two cars but on high-end 350z wins. I cross-shopped the car with the Mazda Speed 3, 350z, VW GTi, Audi A3 (too pricey for a luxury GTI), and came home with the wrx. I really think Subaru conservatively stated the numbers on the new wrx, but that might just be my bias since I proudly own it :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
well.. i own both an '06 350z and an '08 wrx and here's my opinion..

the z is faster after the launch. a z will trap about 5 mph higher than a wrx. (though if you consider a z has 287-307 hp vs 225 hp on a wrx, it's pretty impressive (or sad ;)) that the difference is only that marginal) the wrx feels as fast as a z through first gear, but the z feels like it pulls more in the other gears (nothing scientific to show.. just my impression)
the z definitely feels a lot sportier, it has better steering response, doesn't roll as much (wrx feels sloppy relatively), sounds better stock than a stock wrx (which is way too quiet imho)
the z looks better and grabs more attention, but that's just my opinion ;)
the z doesn't have the turbo lag of course and has a really nice and flat torque curve so throttle response is great
i think the z is pretty easy to launch. you can pretty much drop the clutch between 3000-4500 rpm and get a halfway decent launch. i haven't really tried to launch the wrx hard yet, so i can't comment much.
the z has a shorter throw, but the gears are real notchy and hard to get in gear sometimes. wrx has a longer throw, but shifts really smooth.
the wrx weighs significantly less (100-200 or so lbs depending on the models) which is a bit confusing to me considering there's not a whole lot in the z.
the wrx has more head room :) i have to slouch in the z to fit with a helmet on.
the wrx is way easier to mod and much easier and cheaper to make quicker than a z. i spent about 3 grand (cat back, test pipes, intake, plenum spacer, clutch/flywheel) on the z and only gained about 20-25 hp/torque at the wheels. going forced induction on a z is a task only the rich should venture to ($10-$15K for a proper turbo setup)
wrx obviously handles way better in bad weather/snow than the z (drove the z through 2 winters.. never again... ???)

so.. those are some of my thoughts. i've had the z longer and gotten to autox it a lot whereas i've only had the wrx for 2 months. so my opinion may change once i get a chance to beat on her a little more ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts