Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2008 WRX the other day ;D and my only real complaint with it is how darn quiet the stock exhaust is.

My other car is a 505rwhp honda s2000 so I don't want to turn my new rex into a tuner car as well so I'm not really interested in buying a 1000 dollar cat back exhaust system that will drone and make babies cry as I drive by (I'll save that for the s2k :) ). With that being said, I was thinking about fabbing up a custom exhaust system. My plan is to either remove the obnoxious rear muffler all together and weld in a straight pipe OR to replace the muffler with either a borla / magnaflow / flowmaster muffler of a smaller size. My main goal is to hear the "subaru grumble" but not to the point where I'm going to hate myself for doing it (due to drone and what not) so something reasonable quiet.

I know there are a few members here with custom exhausts. Does anyone care to share what is "custom" about their custom exhausts (aka what kind of muffler / design) and post a video if available?

Thanks for the help
Jon

If anyone is curious, this is my s2000
-- turbochargers FTW :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well here's mine

Resonator replaced with straight pipe and muffler replace with a sports hi-flow type, cost me $200 fitted. Sounds OK without being over the top.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well here's mine

Resonator replaced with straight pipe and muffler replace with a sports hi-flow type, cost me 0 fitted. Sounds OK without being over the top.

Sounds awsome!

Do you have a link to the "sports hi-flow," I can't seem to find it on the internet.

U can see mine here

http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=114.0

Its just a straight thru muffler with my Cats knocked thru.

Btw, your S2000 is sick!

Sounds awsome as well, how loud is it (hard to tell by the video obviously).

Thanks for the comment as well :)

·
Registered
344 Posts
500+ WHP in an S2000! That has got to be one SICK track day.

;D

·
Registered
629 Posts
I took out the cats on my exhaust (can hear the turbo spool) and I'm gonna get rid of that resonator soon. Blackthing and Pehon both have the right idea if you wanna save the money and still get the sound.

Love the S2G!!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well here's mine

Resonator replaced with straight pipe and muffler replace with a sports hi-flow type, cost me 0 fitted. Sounds OK without being over the top.

Sounds awsome!

Do you have a link to the "sports hi-flow," I can't seem to find it on the internet.

It it not a brand name, I just took my car to an exhaust shop that does performance and racing cars. Told him what I was after (ie not too loud) and he did the rest.

U can see mine here

http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=114.0

Its just a straight thru muffler with my Cats knocked thru.

Btw, your S2000 is sick!

Sounds awsome as well, how loud is it (hard to tell by the video obviously).

Thanks for the comment as well :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got bored today and I unbolted the muffler to see how she sounds...

Surprisingly, it was not nearly as loud as I thought it would be! I might have to make a custom pipe that goes in place of the muffler :)

Now the big question is, what do we mod to hear the turbo? :). Do the 08's have intake silencers?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
K&N drop in filter in the stock air box and you will hear the turbo

I did a straight pipe and it sounds better than a borla and best of all was only $100 for the stainless steel piping and stainless steel SPT-look-alike tip

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have a custom catback.

magnaflow muffler with 3 inch piping

1 - 11 of 11 Posts