Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, forum name banion here and by the way, greetings from Japan!

Well, actually it's been over a decade now living over here, from Canada originally, and I'm still liking it quite a bit.

I have not been active on any internet forum so far cept for lurking, but it's the matter of not being able to control my enthusiasm for the S-GT that I will finally pick up tomorrow morning that brings me here.

I can see from reading a bit over the last few days that there are others who have fallen fror this new Impreza too - to be honest I was never an Impreza fan at all in the past. I've had a Legacy GT E-tune for the last 3 years, and what actually happened was I was going in to just get a new Legacy GT - Bspec when I found out they were a bit on the pricey side... Ended up looking at the S-GT up close and then drove it and that's about all she wrote. This car has got to be the most unphotogenic car ever made... Pictures just do not seem to do it justice.

I will post some picks when I get the time, I chose that dark gray colour and got a few cool options like the STI front lip spoiler, ASSY short range shift lever, latest Digital TV DVD Navi thing mostly for the wife, and other bits and pieces. You guys have digital mobile TV over there yet?? Anyways it's all in Japanese - just Japanese TV - but I suppose it should be alright.

Driving over here is OK I guess too, but the trafiic is unbelievable on weekends especially so it's hard to find opportunities to really open it up around town (in and around Tokyo). But, the place is huge and there are a lot of roads that are fun so I am really looking forward to ripping it up a bit after I get it broken in. Wonder how long I'll be able to resist the urge to give it some "stick"...

Anyways, hopefully be around for a while chatting and whatnot, as I don't have any other outlet for car stuff at all really, I work with a bunch of stiffs who care more about everything other than cars, than cars.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Welcome to the Fam.!! DGM FTW!!!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Welcome! I can only imagine the things you must have access to. I'm fairly new to the subaru scene, but what exactly is the S-Gt. Similar to the WRX, I would guess. Sort of the JDM WRX? Anyway, take pics...we wanna see!

joneSi

·
Registered
421 Posts
Welcome to the family dude! really exciting to see someone from Tokyo. I've always wanted to visit tokyo. Not the mention the parts that are available for you for your SGT!

Anyway, post up some pics when u can.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Japan is awesome, my gf just got back from a 10 trip ;D Welcome

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments guys

Yeah it's a bit wierd and different over here that's for sure. But again, it's pretty cool too.

As you might have guessed, spent the WHOLE weekend driving. Mostly responsible and civil, but went above 6000 rpm maybe a few times too much but, what the hell gotta make sure those rings seal up right, right??

Took a few pics with my cell phone but don't know how they're gonna turn out here (HUGE on my PC screen for some reason). I'll try putting one up from the parking lot at Autobac's and one from inside the car in a McDonald's parking lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Beautiful ride. So, the S-GT is the WRX but with the 2.0l vs the 2.5 in the WRX?

joneSi

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Spend one week in tokyo more than a year ago, its a special place

Where are you originally coming from canada ?

btw is all S-GT are equipped with VDC ?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again,

The S-GT is the Japan WRX - they changed the name when they introduced the new version - don't know why. Yeah it's a 2.0 twin scroll turbo engine instead, Subaru rates the 2.0 at 250 hp I don't know why other countries get a different engine.

There are a lot of mysterious taxes to pay on cars in Japan, and 2.0 is the limit before taxes go up one higher bracket - so that might be why. Anyway, more performance as well with teh smaller engine so I thought it might've been better to just ship the same one...

I'm from Vancouver B.C., VDC is an option that most S-GT's are equiped with. Personally I didn't want it because I'm not a big fan of traction control.

I am curious why do people hate the chrome so much? I am a bit out of touch with what's happening over there I suppose, I didn't even know that so many people were "anti-hatch", "anti-chrome"!

·
Registered
345 Posts
250 hp with the 2.0 i wantt that we all know

Japan FTW

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Banion,
Talk to pehon about how effective and non-intrusive the VDC is on the track

Its way more than just a "traction control" in fact there is two separate system (but infortunally cannot be turn off separatly)
You have the VDC (Vehicule dynamic control) and the TCS (Traction Control)
Only the VDC was working and the TCS never activated on the track

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yeah the VDC is awesome. And it can be turned off if you like (or don't like).

Anyway, don't worry banion. We're not anti-chrome, and definitely not anti-hatch!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
It could be that for subaru the 2.0 turbo with more power is a more expensive engine (power wise) than a bigger engine with LESS power. Interesting.

joneSi

·
Registered
421 Posts
Actually if you look at the dyno charts for a 2.0L vs a 2.5L, especially after a turbo change, you'll notice that the 2.5 had a better gain all round from 1000rpm to the red line, compared to the 2.0's horrible low end (<3500rpm).

However, the 2.5 engine, as far as i know, is simply a bored up version of the 2.0. So the 2.0 will be a more durable engine after increasing the boost.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That was probably wrong when I said "more performance" - different performance might be a better choice of words. I don't know much about dyno data and whatnot, and how it varies from car to car and situation to situation - whatever the numbers are and however they line up, as you'd see in any close analysis of say, F1 racing, is that the sum of the "parts" on paper do not always add up to the total experience in the machine. Sometimes not in overall performance in meters and seconds either.

I guess what I mean to say is that what the other guy has isn't what counts, it's how much you enjoy your own shit that does?? There's a lot of subjectivity in the objective world of numbers and it all depends on what your pursuit is, is my opinion - I try to say all that without coming off like a total know-it-all dick - apologies if I did.

As far as driving impressions go, I can say that there was not what I would call a ton of low end grunt, just as was pointed out in a previous post, but it did pull like hell in the somewhere over 3000 to 6000 range - and that's as high as I felt comfortable going to. Felt like it was going to keep pulling like that up to the redline though.

One other thing I didn't mention that is a wierd thing over here is they generally go for the auto transmission... I'm assuming most guys over there drive manual. Somehow, I just felt like VDC belongs on an auto transmission car. Not to say it's bad or not effective by any means, just that I personally wanted to control as much as the car by myself as possible.

Edit: I figured out what FTW means so I took the question out

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I am curious why do people hate the chrome so much? I am a bit out of touch with what's happening over there I suppose, I didn't even know that so many people were "anti-hatch", "anti-chrome"!
For the record I'm not anti chrome at all. I agree it looks better painted, but all the bufoons on NASIOC flaming every 08 about the chrome strip is annoying as hell. I think most people are basically sheep and start cracking on the same things to feel better about themselves. I'll probably get the painted piece some day, but I don't lay awake at night thinking about it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts