Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) I love driving in the snow and enjoy getting the car sideways. My previous two WRX's didn't have VDC, so it's a strange feeling when it kicks in on my '09. I know I can shut it off, but is it bad for the car to drive aggressively in snow with the VDC on?

2) Is there a receiver hitch that will fit my '09 WRX?

Thanks. ;)

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
As for driving with the VDC, I doubt it hurts it too much. I wouldn't go Ebrake sliding, but sliding in the snow, with VDC on is ok. But i would get used to it without the VDC personally, it would be nice to control the car instead of the opposite!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've been driving in snow since I got my license in 1985 and I've managed fine without a traction control system in any of my vehicles. I don't really like the feel of the VDC kicking in but it must help somehow. I was just wondering if it's bad to slide around corners with it on. I'm not talking e-braking or anything - just letting the rear end come around a bit.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Naw it was designed for that purpose. I mean why else is it their except for traction assistance!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I can't imagine it's going to destroy it. Just make sure to clean your rims after slidding sideways. I "tested" out the AWD in a large parking lot slidding sideways and getting the car completely covered in snow. After that everywhere I went the car felt like it was shaking me like you would shake chocolate milk. Cleaned the car(the rims had a crapload of ice/snow packed inside the rim) and it is perfect again! Happy snow drifting ;D

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I hope turning it off isnt bad lol... no you should be fine.. Its not the GT-R where it voids your warenty or anything so turn it off get sidewayzzz have fun..

·
Registered
467 Posts
i live in jersey and we just got 6+ inches, and the plow team was horrible and didnt plow anything, wish i had awd. i have a corolla, i wish i had a subi to do awd drifts in the snow with :(

and what would you want to want to tow?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts