Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right blinker, turn it on and it works fine. Left blinker, turn it on and it blinks twice as fast as the right. All Bulbs are working, brake lights, front and back running lights, reverse lights. It is minor, but it bugs me.

Any thoughts…

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Intresting... What a pain in the a$$

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
maybe a bad blinker switch.....just my .02
I found something interesting... So my blinker was still blinking twice as fast and still pissing me off... If it was a switch I figured that it was under warranty and Subie should fix it. Right?? So I took it into the dealership. The blinker filament was blown, and they (the dealership) told me that there are two filaments in the bulb. One for the blinker and one for the hazard lights. If the blinker filament blows then the hazard filament will take over and in turn blink twice as fast to let you know there is a problem.

I was a little embarrassed, in the past (on other cars that I have owned) when a blinker light blows usually they did not blink at all, the light would just stay on. :-[

Just one of those little tid bits of info that might help down the road.... ;)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, similar to my MY00 subaru, it blinked twice as fast if the bulb was blown...although, the hazard filament didn't take over in the older cars, the bulb was just out.
they showed me the bulb, I thought that was kinda cool...

Since it was the left blinker (and it was one of those little pet peeves) I told my son, who monitors if I am using my blinkers or not, that we could only make right turns! ;D He did not find it too funny, but I got a good laugh out of it!

·
Registered
102 Posts
My left bulb has gone out twice since I owned my car already :( Dealer changed them quickly both times.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My left bulb has gone out twice since I owned my car already :( Dealer changed them quickly both times.
One of the dealership mechanics was telling me: the bottom portion of the stock bulb is created with a soft metal and because of that they blow out quickly (I am scratching my head on that one, but ok) If/when it happens again, I am going to my local auto parts shop and replacing them with an aftermarket bulb. Hopefully that will take care of the issue.

·
Registered
327 Posts
mine also this problem. is it even worth it to take it to the dealer? or should i just in to autozone and buy a new light?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mine also this problem. is it even worth it to take it to the dealer? or should i just in to autozone and buy a new light?
Not that big of deal... if it is the left bulb you have to pull the battery to get at the light... the bulb that you would get out of Autozone would be a better light, and probably last longer.... my .02

·
Registered
327 Posts
Not that big of deal... if it is the left bulb you have to pull the battery to get at the light... the bulb that you would get out of Autozone would be a better light, and probably last longer.... my .02
Pulling the battery wouldn't be tough, and I have tomorrow off, so yay! I felt so embarassed when this happened. I was out driving around after getting lunch with my g/f and it just starts blinking fast. I was like WTF? I pulled over, checked to make sure everything still worked, and continued on my way. By coincidence I actually had looked at this topic just the other day. :-\ I just had this weird feeling that people were looking at me funny, scratching their heads since it is an 08. :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
I found something interesting... So my blinker was still blinking twice as fast and still pissing me off... If it was a switch I figured that it was under warranty and Subie should fix it. Right?? So I took it into the dealership. The blinker filament was blown, and they (the dealership) told me that there are two filaments in the bulb. One for the blinker and one for the hazard lights. If the blinker filament blows then the hazard filament will take over and in turn blink twice as fast to let you know there is a problem.

I was a little embarrassed, in the past (on other cars that I have owned) when a blinker light blows usually they did not blink at all, the light would just stay on. :-[

Uhh.. one filament is the running light/parking light (5Watt).. the other is the flasher (25Watt). I've never heard of a separate hazard/blinker circuit on a car. I think you were fed a line of BS because they couldn't figure it out. There was probably something wrong with the bulb that was causing a higher resistance.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Uhh.. one filament is the running light/parking light.. the other is the flasher. I've never heard of a separate hazard/blinker circuit on a car. I think you were fed a line of BS because they couldn't figure it out. There was probably something wrong with the bulb that was causing a higher resistance.
uuhhh on the other side I never knew a parking/running light could be used as a blinker. On my other cars if the blinker was blown the light in the dash would just stay on and the running light would still work. Also if one of the blinker/running light was completely out (Both filiments) the other bulb did blink twice as fast. That is how you would know there was a problem with both filaments.
So before the bulb was changes the light was blinking twice as fast as a correctly operating blinker... BUT all bulbs were blinking. That is why I brought it into the dealership, I thought that was weird. Now with that said, I glanced at the bulb that was pulled from you car, I did not look at it under a microscope, but I thought that I saw 3 filament. Actually, I know this might shock you, but I TRUST the dealership that I go to. They are good people! so I don't think there was BS dish on this trip! ;)

After thought: The bulb was changed and the brinker works fine!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Trust your dealership all you want.. doesn't change the fact that they lied to you.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ya know what beaverboy. you are correct, there are only two filaments. One for the blinker/hazards. One filament for the Parking lights, the parking light has to take over when the blinker/hazard go out... so I can admit I am wrong.

Trust your dealership all you want.. doesn't change the fact that they lied to you.
As far as the dealership I go to, they have done more good for me than you would ever know. I would stand by them 110%. It very wll could have been that I misquoted them. I was in a hurry. I had other things that I need to do... like work.

In your world are people not allowed to make mistakes?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Please don't get me wrong. I'm really glad that A) your issue is fixed and B) you're happy with your dealership.

I was just responding to the 3 filament thing which at first I didn't think was true (especially since I'd pulled one of my turn signal bulbs out this past Saturday and noticed that it is a standard two-filament 1157), but then I was unsure if Subaru had pulled a fast one and made some sort of odd change to the wiring based on trim level or build date. Once I got home and read your reply I went out to look at the bulbs on my car again and researched type 57 bulbs to find that nobody makes a 3 filament version.

Dealerships are notorious for creating misinformation... My favorite forum over at the 'other place' has a thread dedicated to things told to customers by people at their dealership, very little of which is ever true. I am sorry if I offended your perfect opinion of your dealership with my assumption.

That said..

I'm not saying that it was you, but since responding to this thread with my (accurate) knowledge i've received my first negative karma and am getting a bunch of butthurt crap from you over how trustworthy your dealership is. If that's what it takes to keep an internet rumor about separate turnsignal/hazzard wiring.. then so be it; I'll be that a-hole.

I used to be an admin on a site dedicated to a 20 year old german car that had some peculiar electrical wiring (ie: completely separate circuits/fuses for left and right wiring). When people would post troubleshooting tips based on their experience with American and Japanese cars, people would spend hours pulling their hair out over a simple problem (like checking a fuse). Misinformation happens all the time and from all types of forum members (myself included).. and isn't a big deal as long as others are there to correct it before it becomes lore. What are the chances that everyone who read the thing about separate hazard/flasher circuits is going to check back into this thread to see that it isn't true before they go spreading their knowledge elsewhere... or worse, try to apply it.

Heck, it's thanks to this kind of thing that half the Subaru fans on the internet think that the new Impreza is slower, handles worse, has an equal length header (ie: no rumble), is heavier, has less room for fat tires and is boring (among many other things that are completely untrue). Because I tried to dispel the incorrect notions about the '08 everyone at the 'other place' calls me a "fanboi" now. I'm getting a little sick of how thin-skinned some people are when it comes to internet message boards. The primary purpose of technical forums is to build a knowledge base.. not make friends.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
+1 ;).

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Beaverboy, if you are trying to provoke me with your lengthy post, you are doing a pretty good job of it, that’s fine. I am trying not to feed into it. I have more important things to do. Although, there are few items that I think needs to clear up.

You were right… the bulb is 2 filaments, (I did the same thing, I looked at my bulb when I got home) and I would rather have the correct information for all people can benefit from. But if you would have read the whole thread I did mention that there were 2 filaments in post #3. As an “admin” I thought that you might have picked that up. I am firm believer that if you make a mistake, correct it, learn from it and move. In later posts, yeah I was wrong. I can admit that I was wrong and thank you for pointing that out. If it that takes me eating a little humble pie, so be it, serve it up.

As far as the “-“ Karma point… There is an individual out there that has been surfing the board and hitting people with “-“ points, there are a few of us out there that affectionately call this person “The Troll”. So if you want to "Belly Ache" over a "-" point, go right ahead. This is the first time that I have has a minor confrontation, and I got hit with a “-“ karma point. I am not saying it was you, I got it probably a month ago or so…

Technical forum boards are an excellent platform to share ideas, get support and meet new people. This forum has helped me out many times. On the other hand, I am a member of many different boards, some Subie boards but mostly motorcycle forums, I got to tell ya, I have meet a lot of good people, that have turned into my friends, strictly because of technical forum boards and similar interest. My .02 don’t close yourself off to meeting other people/friends through this forum board.

To sum it up… Man, I don’t want to argue with you, that is well, just lame... I would rather have a friend, than bicker back and forth.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I think we're both coming across more hostile than intended. ;D

Sorry about my rant. I shouldn't post so much when I've got the flu. :-\

1 - 20 of 22 Posts