Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another Saab-Subaru love child might be on it's way! Jalopnik has pointed out that the Saab forums are buzzing with images from a recent GM patent showing off the new Saab Tribeca (9-6x).

The Saab forums are alight with chatter about recently filed GM patents showing off images of a Saabified Subaru Tribeca which resembles a four door version of a design mock up unofficially photographed way back in 2005. The interesting part is the supposed Saab 9-6X swipes much of its architecture and styling from the Subaru Tribeca, even though GM split with the Japanese automaker shortly after the original spy photos. These filings are dated as of November 4, 2008, so it's not like they've been floating around in the ether for 3 years. It's also possible the web is in the process of getting snookered by some photoshopper who thinks he's a funny guy. If real it would be a replacement for the 9-7X which is about to be killed off with a plant closure. Of course, in our opinion Saab needs a replacement SUV like a Prius needs drag slicks.
Source: Jalopnik / Blog Link

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Tribeca, lame, they need to make a saabaru wrx sedan. That's something I would buy.
I think you mean "Subaabaru", lol.

New Tribeca = much better than old "B9 Tribeca", though still not great (for me as a DD). It might make a nice repalcement for my wifes misbehaving MDX :eek: Or maybe an outback 4 banger would be better (the Tribeca gets kinda bad gas mileage).

I thought now that GM was through with Subaru we would be through with these odd love children.

Also, if the Saab forums are so excited about having a Saab branded Subaru, why not get a REAL Subaru ??? Ahhh, well, either way, I DO think that car is pretty sharp.

joneSi

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I'm just not a fan of the mid-size/largeish crossovers like the tribeca. The only car like that I've driven that I've ever liked is the VW Taureg, though it's still not my cup of tea. My POV is car/wagon or truck/suv, that in between stuff is annoying. I mean 99% of people out there will be better served by a car/wagon than any other type of vehicle.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I'm just not a fan of the mid-size/largeish crossovers like the tribeca. The only car like that I've driven that I've ever liked is the VW Taureg, though it's still not my cup of tea. My POV is car/wagon or truck/suv, that in between stuff is annoying. I mean 99% of people out there will be better served by a car/wagon than any other type of vehicle.
I like our Acura enough. Its big and comfortable for long trips (we do a lot of HWY driving with 4 adults)...and gets OK mileage. It is "meh" for me, but my wife loves the thing.

The VW, btw, is MONEY. What a truly awesome vehicle.

joneSi

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I like our Acura enough. Its big and comfortable for long trips (we do a lot of HWY driving with 4 adults)...and gets OK mileage. It is "meh" for me, but my wife loves the thing.

The VW, btw, is MONEY. What a truly awesome vehicle.

joneSi

Yah, it's really nice. Very comfortable, and it handles similarly to the passat quattro V6 my little sister drives, just VERY slightly softer. It makes you feel a lot more comfortable driving a car like that knowing it can handle decently well. It does better than the forester 2.5x we own, though I'll probably slap a rear sway bar on it to improve it a little as I don't think it has one.

I've never driven an MDX, though the RDX is good in terms of handling. That thing is complicated! I think I lost interest in Honda before the mdx/rdx came out, so I don't know a ton about their real new cars, and the pilot always kind of put me off with it's low hanging suspension components there to ruin ground clearance. I really wish they made the same quality of vehicle they used to as I really like a lot of their previous gen cars, just not a fan of the build quality.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
It looks better than that bloody 'Subion' that's out in Japan...

It's a toaster with a Suby badge...
OMG, for the love of GOD, MAKE IT STOP!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
the Saaburu SUV isn't going to happen. GM filed a patent simply to patent the exterior design... I doubt they're going to actually make the car. if they do, they won't be able to use the boxer engine or other Subaru components. GM and Subaru no longer have a deal.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
the Saaburu SUV isn't going to happen. GM filed a patent simply to patent the exterior design... I doubt they're going to actually make the car. if they do, they won't be able to use the boxer engine or other Subaru components. GM and Subaru no longer have a deal.

I stand by my earlier statement. If that is what the Saab crowd was excited about (6cyl boxer engine awd SUV that is a subaru) then they can have that! LOL, it just can't be a Saab.

Not trashing saab, either, I've been a fan in the past of some of their cars (not just the 9-2x :) ) but seriously, if that is what they want, they could wait forever or just go to their local subie dealer.

joneSi

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
WAIT, is that scion beast child thing actually a real car?!?!?!?!

because if it is im flying over to japan and slapping the first person i see, i mean that with the least amount offense ever but WTF JAPAN!?!?! Sometimes thing s dont need to be made, you should watch Attack of the Show on G4 if you don't believe me lol :)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I feel like japan's MO is kind of like "make as many different kinds of cars as humanly possible, some awful, some awesome". I suppose that's better than the US's "make a bunch of horrible cars".

·
Registered
157 Posts
perspectives and markets are totally different...you can't use an American eye and assume. What sells in Asia usually wouldn't sell in the US, and vice versa.

however...it doesn't mean I like that car even a little bit haha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts