Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
f***! After all the other problems I've had with this car now I've snapped an endlink. Not one of the stock ones but one of the $150.00 front Perrin ones too! I noticed that my front end was squeaking over bumps so I decided to see what was wrong. Turns out in the last week (since I just got my car back AGAIN from the dealer) one the spherical bearings in the endlink has failed and pulled out. On the plus side, Perrin's customer service is really good: I phoned and spoke with Jeff Perrin and he told me to send him a pic so they can figure out what replacement part I need (assuming that it can be repaired). I want to push this fucking car off a cliff right now and walk away from it. AAARGHH!

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: AAAAARGHHH!!!!: Just snapped an aftermarket endlink

I just have the RalliTEK 22mm front bar. I don't know how it happened: I just know that one of 'em is shot. I'm thinking about switching to the RalliTEK front endlinks: they are on sale right now and they are guaranteed for 5 years. I have had the worst luck w/ this car. I don't rally, auto-X or anything else that would put undue stress on my suspension components.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

+1 to you for being the first one I've seen this happen to.

Sorry that you had to be though :(

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Well if nothing else, at least I got my first shot of + karma out of it ;) Somehow, after everything else that's happened though, nothing surprises me with this car anymore. Let's recap the last year of ownership, shall we: Broken front endlink, replaced with Perrins, Clutch went without warning at 8750 kms, dealer fucked me around about before finally paying 2/3 of the cost, 2 missing brackets on the heat shield, exhaust, bad engine mounts and now another broken endlink. Still, the paint looks pretty good....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

UPDATE: I LOVE RALLITEK ;D I spoke to a customer service guy at RalliTEK and told him about my situation. I was going to order a set of RalliTEK endlinks to replace the Perrin ones. He looked at my order history and asked me to hold for a minute. It turns out that because I ordered one of the first sway bar kits they made for the 08 WRX, orginally they shipped me the same bar design for the non-turbo Impreza. The new design is different for the WRX front bar. Not only did the customer service agent Robert catch this mistake he then spoke to Sean about what could be done. This explains why I've had so many problems with endlinks snapping on this bar: the bar was too short for the turbo models and was placing undue stress on the links. Anyway, they are shipping me, FREE OF CHARGE, a new WRX-specific front bar AND a set of Heavy-duty front endlinks and are covering all of the shipping and taxes to send it to Canada. This was totally unexpected and just AWESOME! I've had good experiences with them before but this seals it: I will only deal with RalliTEK for all of my aftermarket stuff from now on and would advise anybody else who's looking to buy parts to do the same.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

rallitek rocks! wow, that is fantastic customer service bro! hopefully you start having some good luck w/ that 08 now... ;)
I hope so...what really impressed me is that they caught and owned up to the mistake without me even knowing. If they hadn't said anything, I wouldn't have known different but they took responsibilty, took it upon themselves to make it right and even threw in a $60.00 set of endlinks. The customer service guy said that since it was their fault, I shouldn't have to pay for them. Everybody makes mistakes: we are only human. How you handle those mistakes is what makes the difference. Sorry if this post sounds like a RalliTEK commercial: I'm just really pleased right now.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have perrin front and rear sways and ordered the front perrin endlink as well. I think I know what happened. Take a look at the pic below when it was installed on my car, look at how tilted it sits, its putting ALOT of stress on the spherical joints. You probably took a quick turn and it popped out. The OEM front endlinks (which i have on now, since i dont feel the perrins are safe sitting so tilted) have a little tilt, maybe like 10 degrees, but the perrin ones were tilted at 45 degrees.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is quite a bit of angle: did you add the washers that they give you as spacers to try and reduce the angle? I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the stock endlinks: they are plastic and several of us have broken them already. Is it angled that much on both sides?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so the front sway bar is officially longer for the WRX??

huh??
I think that what happened was that originally they had a design that was the same for both the WRX and NA Impreza. They found that several WRX owners were having clearance issues or experienced the bar rubbing against other parts of the car. They redesigned it to be longer and have a hump in it for better clearance.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Wow going to order those ...... best looking endlinks.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
1 thing I never understood about Subaru is why they continue with plastic endlinks. My 93 Civic Si and 02 Civic LX both had metal endlinks stock. Those 2 were far from performance vehicles.
But I'm glad things are looking on the bright side for you now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 thing I never understood about Subaru is why they continue with plastic endlinks. My 93 Civic Si and 02 Civic LX both had metal endlinks stock. Those 2 were far from performance vehicles.
But I'm glad things are looking on the bright side for you now.
Thanks man: yeah who knows why they use those crappy plastic pieces!

·
Registered
988 Posts
Just ordered my last night and i hope it gets here by Weds.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I just built these recently, not worried about anything snapping here :D

the down side (always a down side :)), they weren't cheap to build

·
Registered
988 Posts
I just built these recently, not worried about anything snapping here :D

the down side (always a down side :)), they weren't cheap to build

Looks almost like Whitelines. I would use better lock nuts tho. They still look awsome.

Whitelines

1 - 20 of 39 Posts