Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello small community. Just recently purchased a new white WRX MY12. Beast :)
My name is Anthony, from Melbourne.
This is my second ever car, first manual (I drive fine, don't worry about the clutch :D), big upgrade from the Nissan Tiida!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking about the look more than performance, don't need to go that fast :D
interior and hood. what do you reckon i should do? oh! a BOV would sound awesome. bit iffy about it though... warranty etc..

very attracted to carbon fibre.

does anyone know if a carbon fibre hood for MY12 WRX is legal in victoria?

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you're going for ricer, a fat 3" diff back exhaust, a cold air intake, and a vent to air bov is what you want. You will need to remap some settings for your cold air intake though.

In terms of carbon fibre, if you want to save money you can actually just vinyl wrap items in a carbon fibre looking vinyl. Even the roof!

In terms of CF items you can get a front lip, intake scoop or full bonnet, rear spoiler and rear lip. Can't see an issue with legality.

I've been real interested in CF items too :)

Finally regarding warranty - I've kept reading people say that mods won't affect your warranty unless they are specifically found to cause the damage you're claiming. So you should be fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I've been considering the Vinyl wrap, Obviously real CF is 128937189231 times better, BUT since I'm not after light weight/performance.... why waste the mullah.....
hmm i can save petrol for pulling less weight?! LOL.

CF the interior, grey, silver bits, wonder how that will be like

·
Registered
417 Posts
Hey firstly welcome clamako.

In terms of the hood being street legal.. technically no. It would not have the same structural quality and to prove it does (if it does that is) you would need an engineers certificate.

Some hoods come almost identically built to a factory hood, some are weak and held in with 2 pins so it depends.

stir08 is on the money though I reckon for the hood, just get the carbon fibre 'look' wrap.. dont have to worry about anything, its cheaper, and can restore to factory just as easily.

I know the modern tuner hates loud exhausts and BOV.. times ahve changed as cars are too damn expensive to be getting pulled over.. but I would recommend one of the BOV that can be turned off and on with a flick of the wrist. Cant beat it! And a nice intake to hear the cold air.. excellent combo.

In terms of warranty, check with your dealership service dept. if they mind you fitting an exhaust. Some places are ok, so I would be trying to support the places that support you.

They dont have to so look around.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know the modern tuner hates loud exhausts and BOV.. times ahve changed as cars are too damn expensive to be getting pulled over.. but I would recommend one of the BOV that can be turned off and on with a flick of the wrist. Cant beat it! And a nice intake to hear the cold air.. excellent combo.

really? where where?!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah boi, you can get for example the Go Fast Bits BOV which worked very well on my car.

http://www.gfb.com.au/products?page=shop.browse&category_id=210

Otherwise hows your wiring skills?

Get this installed to be able to adjust the BOV from INSIDE the car using an electronic dial.

http://www.gfb.com.au/products?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=77&category_id=444

:)

wiring phones/electronics etc no problemo.
cars? haven't tried.... ever....
but... being able to control it seems nice.
so that control goes inside the car?, and the deceptor goes in the usual spot..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK!
so i installed by GFB Short Shifter! SO MUCH SHORTER!

PRE INSTALLATION (did a 0-100kmph drag with my mate on the free way, dead at night, no one around SAFE!, he has a Golf R DSG - WE MATCHED PERFECTLY) He's supposed to be 0-100 in 5.7s, mine supposed to be 5.3. So i guess the difference between the DSG and myself is 0.4s.

Now i'm pretty sure I'll win with this shifter, less drops in revs when i shift to the next time i hit the throttle. should do the charm.

i did notice it got a lot stiffer though, i just greased up the bushings and it's much better, but still not as smooth as original.

I also purchased by GFB BOV T9001. Have no installed yet. - BUT I've taken off 1 of the bolts on the factory diverter, and there's no screw paint or anything, and because it's plastic, no marks from unscrewing. SO I would install the BOV and they would not know (if i changed it back each service) :O since there's no real increase in power.

the question is, should i put it on and would it effect my engine :(

·
Registered
417 Posts
Your car with a blow off valve will not kill your motor. As much as some people, hmm, tell you you must have a tune or your engine will self destruct. I've been running blow off valves for years, even CAIs and exhausts, no issues what's so ever.

If your unsure though just get it dyno tested to confirm what I'm telling you. Just try not to get sold a tune if you don't want one. :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So it would be absolutely fine if didn't get a tune with the BOV? Cos i know, technically speaking, there will be (if any) only a tiny difference in power. So theoretically it won't affect my engine as i could set it to full recirc (which is what the factory one does?)

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you leave it full recirc, then there is no issue. If you have it open, there is still such a small issue it wouldn't matter. I've had many Rex turbos with the above set up and no issues. Psshh!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well the factory one still does it when I drive it a certain way, so I'm sure it would xD.
so put it half way for win then :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts