Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now the only engine mod i have is an AVO intake. I want to order an access port from Perrin but when i talked to them today they told me to get rid of my intake since their maps are only made for their intake and OEM ones.

1. Should i just keep my intake and get more suspension mods?
2. Get rid of my intake and order the AP and a downpipe from Perrin?
3. Keep my intake and order the AP anyways?

Any help would be great, thanks.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
^^^ +1 if possible. Also Perrin's CAI map has a negligible difference against your cone filtration and the difference becomes even more minute as the cotton unit accumulates more dirt. Bottom line Perrin's stage 1 with the CAI tune will work fine, you will see maybe and I doubt it a .1 increase in AFR. Foam less flow new than cotton. As time goes on, both reach an equilibrium point. Perrin claims foam overall flow lasts longer but I've not seen any differences in flow that would substantiate this claim.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
^^^ Yep sounds about right to me too

I Like a modified option 2. Keep the intake, get a AP + DP + slide a CBE in + PROTune = ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Then you will need the suspension...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies and help, not sure what to do yet but will let you guys know when i figure it out. I just dont want to run into major problems. +1

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright so i pulled the trigger today and ordered my AP from Perrin with the stage one 93 octane map. I am going to keep the AVO intake on and see how it runs and order the down pipe when some more cash flow is around. Hope it run alright!

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Ive been wondering. With all these companies making 91 and 93 octane maps which would i use if we have 92 here in WA?
Perrin 93 map was developed using 92oct fuel. They have not developed a 93oct specific map.
thought you should know ;)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Perrin also has a 92oct stg1 map available. Not sure if it's just a re-branded 93 or if there are any other differences.

SJ

·
Registered
147 Posts
im also planing to get an AP from perrin and current engine mod i have k&N drop in filter, invidia catless dp, spt cbe and turboxs bov, so what map should i get stage 1 or stage 2 ?? oh, yea we only have 91 here. any help or idea will be helpfull thx

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
im also planing to get an AP from perrin and current engine mod i have k&N drop in filter, invidia catless dp, spt cbe and turboxs bov, so what map should i get stage 1 or stage 2 ?? oh, yea we only have 91 here. any help or idea will be helpfull thx

IMO with that you have to go Stage 2

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Ive been wondering. With all these companies making 91 and 93 octane maps which would i use if we have 92 here in WA?
I personally like the idea of using a relatively low octane map. Different parts of the country don't have certain octanes. For instance, where I am now, Winter Park, CO, the highest available is 89octane. Although, the altitude does offset that a bit, but still. My point of view is that I'd rather have that extra margin of safety rather than the few more hp that I would get using a higher octane map. It's not like I'm racing the car or anything. I always fill up with the highest octane pump gas available.

·
Registered
498 Posts
What the guy at Perrin told me was, when traveling, just switch to Cobb's 91 octane map. Sounded good to me. I am going on a little trip tomorrow and am thinking of using the Cobb's Economy Map just to see if it works. I'll just switch back after the trip down on the interstate. On the way home I am using a route that will require Perrin's Stage 1 Map. ;)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I would do a catted DP if you are going to run the Stage 2 OTS. Avoids the risk of overboost and spiking. It might not happen but why take the chance? At the very least the COBB stg 2 v1.01 has more WG authority programmed. I don't think the Perrin one does as the boost levels are high as it is and they mapped fuel mixtures for the higher boost.
This problem is predominantly with the STis as the turbo is larger and can spike to higher levels whereas the WRX's turbo has pretty much been maxed out by the Perrin tune.
If you have WRX then even running noncatted should be ok with the Perrin physical limitations will not allow you to boost much higher.
If you have the STi with non catted, at the very least use the COBB Stg 2 v.101 or grab a noncatted custom tune.
Good luck

·
Registered
147 Posts
I would do a catted DP if you are going to run the Stage 2 OTS. Avoids the risk of overboost and spiking. It might not happen but why take the chance? At the very least the COBB stg 2 v1.01 has more WG authority programmed. I don't think the Perrin one does as the boost levels are high as it is and they mapped fuel mixtures for the higher boost.
This problem is predominantly with the STis as the turbo is larger and can spike to higher levels whereas the WRX's turbo has pretty much been maxed out by the Perrin tune.
If you have WRX then even running noncatted should be ok with the Perrin physical limitations will not allow you to boost much higher.
If you have the STi with non catted, at the very least use the COBB Stg 2 v.101 or grab a noncatted custom tune.
Good luck
thx for the info. (note to myself)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts