Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As most of you now know, Cobb has released the Access Tuner RACE (ATR) for free download. You will also need to download the latest firmware, AP updater, and the dongle driver installer to use it.

Now, has anyone been able to connect to thier ECU for live tuning? I can connect with the car NOT running, but in the run position. If however I start the car, the ECU disconnects from the live tuning in ATR. Others have reported similar issues in other models and years, yet some people have used ATR 100% successfully.

Anyone else used it yet??

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump, hard to believe no one on the forum has tried free Cobb software that used to cost 400+!!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For anyone with both a laptop and AP, I would love to know if this works for you.

I can datalog, see live tuning parameters and do everything 100% as long as the car is NOT running!!

As soon as the car is started, the ECU stops talking to the software and the USB cable stops seeing activity and disconnects.

I'd reeeally like to know if this is common for the 08 WRX guys so that I can suggest some fixes to COBB for us and the 09 guys as well. If anyone wants to try some datalogging with ATR, email me at [email protected] and I will hook you up with everything, the latest AP manager, firmware, updater, ATR software and USB cable (dongle) drivers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am with WRX, I have not had a chance to reflash my ECU with the new Firmware, so not yet...
Hey DFv2 what map are you trying to datalog? I could be wrong but if you are running a map other than Cobb, I don't think yuo can Live Tune it. I tried importing a Perrin map into ATR but I was denied of course ;) Maybe I will give it a shot tonight...

I have the latest:
AP manager
Firmware
Updater
ATR

dongle drivers??

Email has been sent :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I shot you an email back with the dongle drivers direct link. Yea I am using acobb OTS map, I going back and forth slowwwly with some people on the cobb forums - I'm thinking there is a hangup with the software itself. My dongle can connect to the AP and display all parameters so its not a problem with anything except the software/laptop.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did try to connect last night... Downloaded the dongle drivers, I went on to Cobbs Forum, (I saw your posts over there) saw that there was a new release of ATR. I downloaded everything, but I really had no luck, I could not even get the Datalog button to light up. The ECU Offline button in the lower right hand corner went out once, there was not even a glimmer of hope... I am still running a Perrin Map, but the datalog feature should at least work.

I did go back to RomRaider and my Tactrix Cable. Plugged it in and it worked perfectly...

There is something that I am missing and I need to do some more reading on the ATR Software.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I did try to connect last night... Downloaded the dongle drivers, I went on to Cobbs Forum, (I saw your posts over there) saw that there was a new release of ATR. I downloaded everything, but I really had no luck, I could not even get the Datalog button to light up. The ECU Offline button in the lower right hand corner went out once, there was not even a glimmer of hope... I am still running a Perrin Map, but the datalog feature should at least work.

I did go back to RomRaider and my Tactrix Cable. Plugged it in and it worked perfectly...

There is something that I am missing and I need to do some more reading on the ATR Software.
[/quote]

I feel like I am missing something?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any and ALL cobb maps are ATR maps. ALL OTHER MAPS from companies will NOT work with ATR unless they give you a ATR specific map!!

And, to get the datalog button to be available you first need to select "live tuning"

So in all, you need to simply flash a cobb basemap first and then try to connect with ATR and hit "Live Tuning"

Then to test it, also select "Live Tracing" and see if it works.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Any and ALL cobb maps are ATR maps. ALL OTHER MAPS from companies will NOT work with ATR unless they give you a ATR specific map!!

And, to get the datalog button to be available you first need to select "live tuning"

So in all, you need to simply flash a cobb basemap first and then try to connect with ATR and hit "Live Tuning"

Then to test it, also select "Live Tracing" and see if it works.
Wait a second... I was under the impression that you could datalog ANY map with ATR? Is that not the case?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Not the case. There was a big stink over it on NASIOC.
I gotta say booo on that... It is double edged knife, Cobb Stage I Sucks. But I would like to make it better although I don't want to give up my Perin Map... I just gotta figure out how I am going to accomplish that...

HMMMM not sure what to do...

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
My tuner rolled around with me tuning my car with the software today. We fixed a lot of problems that the car was having with overboosting due to the barometric pressure settings. I didn't have a clue about what he was doing, but he did like an hour and a half worth of tuning for free. ;D It was pretty sweet being able to tune your car on the fly, and he made me a couple of realtime maps to use, when I'm out and about. He's also going to change the location of the OBD port, b/c its kind of a pain in the ass where it is now.But I recommend you guys try the software if you know what you are doing. If not, go and get friendly with your local tuner, and hopefully he thinks you are good people, and does it free!!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
June, did he use YOUR personal laptop and ATR software, as well as your personal AP dongle?

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
My tuner rolled around with me tuning my car with the software today. We fixed a lot of problems that the car was having with overboosting due to the barometric pressure settings. I didn't have a clue about what he was doing, but he did like an hour and a half worth of tuning for free. ;D It was pretty sweet being able to tune your car on the fly, and he made me a couple of realtime maps to use, when I'm out and about. He's also going to change the location of the OBD port, b/c its kind of a pain in the ass where it is now.But I recommend you guys try the software if you know what you are doing. If not, go and get friendly with your local tuner, and hopefully he thinks you are good people, and does it free!!
Very Interesting... Would there be any chance that you might want to share one of those maps that was tuned on the fly? ;D For educational purposes of course!!! ;)

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
June, did he use YOUR personal laptop and ATR software, as well as your personal AP dongle?
Yes!

Very Interesting... Would there be any chance that you might want to share one of those maps that was tuned on the fly? ;D For educational purposes of course!!! ;)
Well I can do that for you, but I don't think you would like the map very much. You see, I live in Colorado, and we had to lower the boost levels, along with the waste gate duty cycle, so Its a good map for me...... for now!! I don't know if it would be all that nice for folks around sea level. We had to fix things b/c I have a catless DP, and the turbo was basically overboosting, b/c of no exhaust back pressure and something to do with the barometric settings. I just wanted to share my story about how nice it was to have software that could fix your car on the fly, and it could be nicer, but I am waiting for the FMIC, FP Green, E85 and CAI to go on before we start getting silly.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Actually I did not want to install it on my car, but I would like to see the differences between the base map and what was tuned on your ride... I was looking at the educational side.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Well in that case, I can send it to you on Moday-Ish. Its on my work laptop which is still at work. So I can send it to you then.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I'm in CO too. So are you saying that AP maps tuned up here will not work at sea level, and vice versa? I'm using a Perrin Stage I map and it doesn't seem to do too badly at 9-10k.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I'm in CO too. So are you saying that AP maps tuned up here will not work at sea level, and vice versa? I'm using a Perrin Stage I map and it doesn't seem to do too badly at 9-10k.
Pretty much! Its different for us at higher altiude, b/c of the lower oxygen levels. Our cars don't run as fast as cars at sea level, with the same amount of tuning. Your Stage 1 should be fine, as mine was, but once we go Stage 2 or beyond, we need to get different maps and tuning than people at sea level. If you ever moved to sea level, you would see a difference in how your car performs. We have to have a correction factor when running on dynos and stuff, b/c of the altitude.

BTW, are you up in the mountains, b/c I heard Steamboat was getting snow this weekend, and I want to cry b/c I can't drive up there and play in the snow!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts