Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
supposedly our cars are equipped with adaptive driving habits. can anyone please explain to me what exactly that refers to? or am i thinking way beyond what i should be? thanks

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I can only assume this has to do with the drive by wire and the way the ECU applies throttle and learns, like it does on most DBW cars. Basically, it's not important imo as far as the driving experience goes. I'd still prefer a throttle cable.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I too would prefer cable throttle.
This whole adaptive driving thing, I believe it goes something like: if you stay in the lower RPMs ALL the time, the computer may boost more performance there. But I wouldnt know how much the average human can perceive this, unless maybe perhaps there are 2 cars of the same make/model/trim, similar milleage, stock. One car has been driven around 1/2 throttle most of its life, the other not even 1/4 throttle.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I too would prefer cable throttle.
This whole adaptive driving thing, I believe it goes something like: if you stay in the lower RPMs ALL the time, the computer may boost more performance there. But I wouldnt know how much the average human can perceive this, unless maybe perhaps there are 2 cars of the same make/model/trim, similar milleage, stock. One car has been driven around 1/2 throttle most of its life, the other not even 1/4 throttle.
I doubt it takes more than a few miles for the "adaptation" to occur given that it is usually tied directly to ecu learning in other dbw cars from what I know.

·
Registered
700 Posts
audi has a system like this. one of my teachers was a long time audi tech. if you drive audi's hard the computer will push more performance and if its a tip tronic it will also tighten up the shifts. i have not noticed are cars doing anything different by diff style's of driving

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
shift changes are a little more noticeable. I've driven a number of cars with this sort of "adaptive" learning stuff, and I've never noticed a big difference. It's more of a gimmick and emissions control type thing than anything imo.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
can you clarify what you mean about the shift changes being noticeable? thanks for all the feedback everyone

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
can you clarify what you mean about the shift changes being noticeable? thanks for all the feedback everyone
in cars with AT and ecu learning that adapts to driving style a bit (including when the car shifts), it's a more noticeable change than in a MT car where there are only minor timing and throttle application changes among other things that aren't really noticeable at all.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I never even knew our cars did this, but I'm pretty sure I've experienced it. On days where I go for some mighty 'spirited' drives then come back into town, the car always feels like it has a bit more zip to it. Other days, when I'm stuck going 30 in traffic at 1500 RPM then give it the juice, it just doesn't seem to have it. I wonder if this has to do with the longterm fuel trim. I've noticed , while monitoring the number, if you consistently run the car hard, it feeds more fuel. However, when you come back from a hard run and start babying it, your fuel trim starts spitting up negative %'s, I'm guessing learning back down to normal driving.

Disclaimer: The above was an educated GUESS, so take that for what its worth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts