Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well another asked question for my 08 build:

Whiteline adjustable or Fixed for a wrx sedan?
What sizes for both and why those sizes either fixed or adjustable.

This will be a dd and possibly more later on depending on where I'll be living at the time.

I'm open to any suggestions, thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
get whiteline 22mm adjustable for front, and whiteline 18mm adjustable for rear. Rear you can adjust from 18 to 22mm. Front can be adjusted from 22 to 23mm. I have rear at max(22mm) and from at max(23mm). Not too harsh, and improves cars handling great.

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
get whiteline 22mm adjustable for front, and whiteline 18mm adjustable for rear. Rear you can adjust from 18 to 22mm. Front can be adjusted from 22 to 23mm. I have rear at max(22mm) and from at max(23mm). Not too harsh, and improves cars handling great.
Are the adjustments noticeable? What's the main difference?

·
Registered
182 Posts
There are holes on the end of the bars. The rear has 3 holes, the front has 2. The closer the hole to the bar, the stiffer. On the rear the closest to bar is 22mm, middle is 20mm, furthest is 18mm. Front is 23mm for closest hole, and 22mm for second hole

·
Registered
957 Posts
depends on what you like and the rest of your suspension setup

generally a stiffer rear means more oversteer, while a stiffer front means more understeer. same applys for spring rates. nobody can tell you what to get, adapt to oyur own driving style and preferences.

swaybars arent something you should upgrade "just cause". theyre there to fine tune your handling once you have decided your shock /spring /coilover setup that you will be using

Also bigger =/= mean better. a 32mm swaybar is no use to nobody unless you like to drift :doh:

a setup that everyone will recommend to you is to get a "square suspension setup" (equal front and rear) same spring rates and same swaybar sizes. this should net you something close to neutral handling (little no no understeer / oversteer). I myself prefer a little bit of oversteer for the track.

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are holes on the end of the bars. The rear has 3 holes, the front has 2. The closer the hole to the bar, the stiffer. On the rear the closest to bar is 22mm, middle is 20mm, furthest is 18mm. Front is 23mm for closest hole, and 22mm for second hole
Aha finally now I know!! +1

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
depends on what you like and the rest of your suspension setup

generally a stiffer rear means more oversteer, while a stiffer front means more understeer. same applys for spring rates. nobody can tell you what to get, adapt to oyur own driving style and preferences.

swaybars arent something you should upgrade "just cause". theyre there to fine tune your handling once you have decided your shock /spring /coilover setup that you will be using

Also bigger =/= mean better. a 32mm swaybar is no use to nobody unless you like to drift :doh:

a setup that everyone will recommend to you is to get a "square suspension setup" (equal front and rear) same spring rates and same swaybar sizes. this should net you something close to neutral handling (little no no understeer / oversteer). I myself prefer a little bit of oversteer for the track.
That's some great info!
Ok should I not get sways before coilovers then? From what I've read on here I thought sways were a "must have" for handling?
Confused newbie :/

·
Registered
957 Posts
i would say swaybars are a must for handling, however like i said above, theyre more of a performance tweaking part than primary part. coilovers or springs/shock combo will do most of the suspension tightening as far as handling goes. swaybars will help you specify your car's behavior to your specifications once the suspension kit is on.

you could also just get swaybars on your stock suspension, and it would tighten your ride a lot without compromising suspension travel, and would run you less than coilovers.

it all boils down to what you want to do with your car. if its just a daily driver / grocery getter a good spring shock combo would set you on your way, however for autocross / lapping / time attack / HPDE you would need a much more aggressive setup.

I could ramble on for quite a while, but it would help me narrow down the recommendations if you could post what are your plans for your car

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Whiteline doesn't make a rear 18mm bar for our cars. The rear adjustable bars have 3 holes, meaning the center hole is the bar size and you can only adjust it up/down 1 mm. The front has 2 holes, the center of the two holes is the bar size and which will only put you at 1mm larger/smaller than the bar size.

"Typically" people will setup their cars with 24/22 rates or 22/20, if you plan on autocrossing you might try setting them up so the front/rear match which should give you more of an even rotation (kinda like how some of us run the same spring rates front/back). If you are running a stiffer coilover you can probably opt for a smaller set of sways but it really depends on what you are after....some people will go through 6+ sways before they get the setup that they are after.

If you want to go a different route, RCE makes adjustable sways that are hollow tube and larger diameter vs the solid sways you'd typically get from Whiteline. For the price, IMHO, the RCE's are hard to beat.

·
Registered
182 Posts
your right, i meant a 20mm rear bar. i thought on the rear bar each hole changed the stiffness by 2mm? so 18 would be minimum and 22 would be max

Whiteline doesn't make a rear 18mm bar for our cars. The rear adjustable bars have 3 holes, meaning the center hole is the bar size and you can only adjust it up/down 1 mm. The front has 2 holes, the center of the two holes is the bar size and which will only put you at 1mm larger/smaller than the bar size.

"Typically" people will setup their cars with 24/22 rates or 22/20, if you plan on autocrossing you might try setting them up so the front/rear match which should give you more of an even rotation (kinda like how some of us run the same spring rates front/back). If you are running a stiffer coilover you can probably opt for a smaller set of sways but it really depends on what you are after....some people will go through 6+ sways before they get the setup that they are after.

If you want to go a different route, RCE makes adjustable sways that are hollow tube and larger diameter vs the solid sways you'd typically get from Whiteline. For the price, IMHO, the RCE's are hard to beat.

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Wow I've only been on here a week and I've got so much positive feedback from all the experienced community on here! Thank you for making the adjustable sway bars make a lot more sense to me now. I feel pretty confident which the Whitelines for now, it sounds like they will do what I need over the stock suspension for now.

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i would say swaybars are a must for handling, however like i said above, theyre more of a performance tweaking part than primary part. coilovers or springs/shock combo will do most of the suspension tightening as far as handling goes. swaybars will help you specify your car's behavior to your specifications once the suspension kit is on.

you could also just get swaybars on your stock suspension, and it would tighten your ride a lot without compromising suspension travel, and would run you less than coilovers.

it all boils down to what you want to do with your car. if its just a daily driver / grocery getter a good spring shock combo would set you on your way, however for autocross / lapping / time attack / HPDE you would need a much more aggressive setup.

I could ramble on for quite a while, but it would help me narrow down the recommendations if you could post what are your plans for your car
You guys rock on here!!

For my budget right now I want to go w the sways then save up for either BCs or Feals for coilovers unless there are other suggestions out there. ;)

·
Registered
802 Posts
06f250sd has good advice on this. +1
If you're looking for a harsher, more aggressive (track-worthy) ride, you can opt for 24mm front x 22-24mm rear sways. For a great improvement in lateral response & DD handling, 22mm front x 20-22mm rear sways should work really well. I don't see a need to spend extra money for the added adjustablility - I'm not that OCD. If $ is a concern, fixed sways work great - you just don't have the minute adjustability.

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Right now my plans are to keep this a dd but with way better handling, power, boost etc. Basically I want it to be anything more then how soft subaru left it at production. I'll sacrifice comfort for handling and aggressiveness

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
06f250sd has good advice on this. +1
If you're looking for a harsher, more aggressive (track-worthy) ride, you can opt for 24mm front x 22-24mm rear sways. For a great improvement in lateral response & DD handling, 22mm front x 20-22mm rear sways should work really well. I don't see a need to spend extra money for the added adjustablility - I'm not that OCD. If $ is a concern, fixed sways work great - you just don't have the minute adjustability.
I've got a couple quotes on the Whitelines for both fixed and adjustable and its not that much for me of a difference. Just finding a need later on for adjustables is what I'm contemplating.

·
Registered
230 Posts

Here's the difference with the Perrin adjustable swaybars

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow that's like night and day!!! Especially the acceleration

1 - 17 of 17 Posts