Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my '09 WRX 5-door for a little over a month now and I'm looking for some advice for mods. I previously owned an '05 WRX wagon (Cobb Stage 1) and an '06 WRX wagon (Cobb Stage 2 with TBE, STI Pink Springs, Perrin front and rear sways).

My goal for the '09 is mostly to improve low end power and reduce lag to make it a more enjoyable DD. It's currently Stage 1 with an AP reflash. An SPT catback will be put on in a couple weeks, then hopefully a short throw shifter. After that, I'm not sure what to do next. I'm not majorly into the whole car modding thing. I don't track my cars and to be honest, I spend more money on outdoor gear (bikes, kayaks, skis, etc...) than car mods. I do like spirited driving and I live where AWD is a must, which is why I'm on my third WRX. I won't ever upgrade the turbo or do anything drastic. I was very familiar with the previous model WRX's, but the '09 is a different animal. I'd just like some suggestions for a few decent mods at this point. Lightweight pulley? UP? DP? CAI? Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any suggestions for a decent UP and Catted DP that won't break the bank? Are the stock UP and DP in my '09 really that restrictive?

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
It's better than the 08's but there is still room for improvement...

That's the route to go if you're looking for her to breathe better...

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Any suggestions for a decent UP and Catted DP that won't break the bank? Are the stock UP and DP in my '09 really that restrictive?
definitely still room for improvement as micmckee said. The stage II results on the 09's are pretty impressive. Most of the decent DP's I know of are 500+. I mean you COULD cheap out, but if it's catted you then have to think about the lifetime of the cat which is often considerably less in some of the lower grade downpipes. Obviously catless is an option if you want to avoid that. If I ever go stage II in my 09, which I'm not sure if I will because I'm more than happy with stage I power (for now =P), I'll probably go with a cobb pipe, or some other equally reputable company.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Remember, you asked for "decent + economical".
DP very restrictive 2 cats. Here are some economical options for DP (non catted) Tsudo DP = $188 on ebay Megan DP similar price
UP not all restrictive but hey why not if this is your goal. These units are similarly priced, I would say get a flex pipe version if possible.
Megan has this for like $100 w/ flex pipe.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I would stray away from the megan flex up pipe I have seen alot of those freyed.. I went with an invidia one but there are others out there with flex sections that seem to perform very good.. such as the grimmSpeed one... thats my .02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts