Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Ive got a 08 wrx sedan, I'm going to be ordering a Cobb Access Port for engine mangement. But I need advise on what's the best downpipe and catback system to get for performance and fitment on my car? Also do you recommend putting a race pipe on or a high flow cat ?

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I used Invidia CBE with an Invidia DP and uppipe combo... Install was very fast I think like 30mins at most wit 2 people doing it. Fitment was perfect, and I ran no cats.. But Invidia makes a catted DP if you want one.. They do not make the exhaust I have on my hatch for the sedan.. I know megan racing and turbo xs make a good sounding CBE for the sedans.. And borla but I have not heard that type yet.. hope this helps...

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
How about some performance goals or future upgrade plans for power output?
Goal orientation gives baseline for recommendations.
Are you wanting to pass smog would be a valid question also.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live in Arizona and passing smog is not a conern.
Current Goals- Engine & Trans :Cobb Access Port, Downpipe catted or not I cant decide?, Catback exhaust eithe Megan Racing or Agency Power? Short Shifter?
Suspension: Megan Racing Coilovers, Swayaway bars F/R and end links F/R

Future Mods: Upgrade wheels, sideskirt's & front lip, upgrade turbo Etc.

Any other advise on upgrades ?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I was talking about power output goals but that cool 8)

Smog not issue and you're not green = catless
DPs all give similar power so don't worry about that much. Invidia has good fitment, Perrin used to have a catless one also, just take your pick.

It will then come down to who tunes better catless might give you an issue as the OTS maps from COBB or Perrin are for cattted versions. However physical limitations of the WRX turbo will not let you spike enough to cause engine damage.

There are also debates on 2.5 - 3" CBEs on stock turbos since you are already flow limited from the OEM turbo, a 2.5 might be enough for you. 3" of course will be cool as well.

For the CBE it would then go down to your sound preference. Theres a thread under inhalation/ exhalation with sound clips you can hear.

Have fun

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
+1 on the catless DP TougeMonster if you put it on before a tune you will prolly throw a CEL but get a tune when you put it on it will fix that.. I used an 02 spacer from rallitek ch to it is saving the 02 sensor from being right in the pipe I used it.. PM me if you want the link for the spacer..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice guys,
If I go with the Borla CBE and catless downpipe, what should I do for my mid pipe ? A high flow cat or race pipe ( with catted downpipe). Also a concern would now be eng mgmt becuase Cobb Access port is tuned for Catted downpipes? So what would my option be now? Also thoughts on Perrin FMIC kit and Headers with not upgrading my turbo, injectors ect.? My budget is 2000-2500.

Please help me out I want the most power!

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys,
If I go with the Borla CBE and catless downpipe, what should I do for my mid pipe ? A high flow cat or race pipe ( with catted downpipe). Also a concern would now be eng mgmt becuase Cobb Access port is tuned for Catted downpipes? So what would my option be now? Also thoughts on Perrin FMIC kit and Headers with not upgrading my turbo, injectors ect.? My budget is 2000-2500.

Please help me out I want the most power!
No mid pipe needed, you would have the TBE setup already. If you gonna go with COBB, Version 1.01 on the AP should be ok with a non catted. The max boost on the snail is about 18 psi anyways. The Perrin St 2 would be better so get your AP from Perrin to get everything set up already including the COBB maps.

If you gonna get everything else from Perrin , go with them as they give you the tune for those parts for free if you purchase from them.

By this time you would have maxed out the turbo on the WRX and met the 300whp mark which is super cool already. ;D

·
Registered
102 Posts
how long can a person run a downpipe without a tune for? i found someone selling a really cheap downpipe and i wanted to buy it, but i wont be able to get an accessport soon.

thanks

·
Registered
916 Posts
how long can a person run a downpipe without a tune for? i found someone selling a really cheap downpipe and i wanted to buy it, but i wont be able to get an accessport soon.

thanks
if its a great deal..... buy it. just stick it in the garage/shed/closet till you get the tune. dont think its the best idea with out one. maybe throw CEL's anyhow.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

thanks
if its a great deal..... buy it. just stick it in the garage/shed/closet till you get the tune. dont think its the best idea with out one. maybe throw CEL's anyhow.
^^^^Agreed

·
Registered
19 Posts
One thing I noticed with our sedans isthat mot exhausts have tips that open up underneath the bumper. If you go catless, you're going to get soot buildup on your bumper. This is especially noticeable on SWP. I'd reccomend going catted. The soot can permanently discolor the bumper if not cleaned thoroughly very regularly. It's very hard to get off also. You might leave 5 or so horses on the table by going catted, but you will smell better, be a little quieter, do less damage to the paint on your bumper and help out the environment.

If you have exhaust tips that stick out past the bumper, go catless but just be aware of the soot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts