Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i ordered my aem intake from here :

http://www.wesellcarparts.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=7746

literally like 2 days ago and it got here today and they are on the opposite coast as me!!! CRAZYY!!!

but i like it so far feels lil quicker on the butt dyno its alil bit louder then my avo filter with snorkle taken off ... but the bpv is alot louder which is chill

ill post up some pics when its lighter out tomorrow

·
Registered
214 Posts
i ordered my aem intake from here :

http://www.wesellcarparts.com/store/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=7746

literally like 2 days ago and it got here today and they are on the opposite coast as me!!! CRAZYY!!!

but i like it so far feels lil quicker on the butt dyno its alil bit louder then my avo filter with snorkle taken off ... but the bpv is alot louder which is chill

ill post up some pics when its lighter out tomorrow
Nice...

Cant' wait to see them! 8)

·
Registered
18 Posts
The filer itself is probably 10 inches. Once you get the stock intake out you will see the amount of space there is to work with. The intake itself took a little fudging as do all aftermarket intakes but it sits nice and it really opens the powerband, i was doing 90 in fourth gear at 4000 rpm and was cruising. i like the way the heat shield bolts onto the firewall.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i didnt add the heat sheild yet .. insttead i put the snorkle back on and seeing how that works when i get outta the car the filter still cool to the touch may fab somethign up where i can use both dont know yet

·
Registered
916 Posts
i used to drive a nissan titan before this with a K&N intake. mine resembled more of what would be a "short ram" intake cause the filter was under the hood in a boxed in shielded off area. i drove that threw the winter, heavy rain, and all and never had a problem. but having never seen a intake that sticks the filter in the wheel well before now...... is the only thing keeping water out of the filter the plastic fenderwell? seems like it could be dangerous in some heavy rains? talk to me. i have been leaning toward a short ram cause it seems safer but i can see the benefits of the CAI.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I would think hydrolock would be a concern for CAI. This depends on how much rain and how low the filter is located from the ground. From pictures, it doesnt look that low but AEM's description shows a large filter.... I think larger than necessary. For the most part, the filter needs to be pretty much submerged and engulf a good amount of water to hydrolock. SRI (short ram intakes) do not benefit the car as much but are safer. If hydrolock is a big concern, and SRI isnt the best option, stock airbox would be the best option.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I want to buy the intake, would it be safe to run the AEM intake with my Perrin stage 2 map?
I wonder how safe it is to run stock (being that it is so lean already)
Perrin's filter is similar in design and they claim that their filter is safe for stock use. However, if you have a tune, you may need a custom tune to handle the intakes increased airflow.

http://perrinperformance.com/products/show/442/Cold-Air-Intake-System?category=3&model=23
Click "compatibility note" tab.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I just installed my Perrin intake last nite and love the sound! I also bought the stage2 w/ intake tune map from perrin to run the intake. I would think the perrin stage 2 w/ intake map would work for the AEM intake as well since the MAF location are the same, even the intake is similar design.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
so I received and installed mine yesterday evening. The only little problem I got was finding the best position for the pipe and filter (it's a 9" filter). My impression of, it isnt as loud as the SPT intake on my brother's 05 WRX. But the old SPT is a SRI. Driving wise, not sure about HP gains, but the power doesnt seem to fall off as quickly in the upper RPM compared to stock. My power mods are only SPT exhaust and AEM CAI, stock tune.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Can any of you take a picture of the inside of the pipe at the filter connection side? I am real fearful of the CEL popping because MAF mounting is so close to the end. I went for prototyping when they were developing this unit without the internal diffusers. Hopefully they incorporated this into the final design.

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
all i have is magnaflow CB exhaust and when i get the money i am gonna get it. for what its worth everyone who is concerned about the Fenderwell intake i had it in my old car 00 monte carlo SS for about 2 years, went over some pretty big puddles sometimes and have never had a problem with the filter getting wet and it was the same huge 9 inch filter that this one has. hope this helps guys

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Can any of you take a picture of the inside of the pipe at the filter connection side? I am real fearful of the CEL popping because MAF mounting is so close to the end. I went for prototyping when they were developing this unit without the internal diffusers. Hopefully they incorporated this into the final design.

Thanks
I have no CEL present. Yes, the MAF is placed close to the filter, but thats how it is stock as well. Yes, intake pipe does have the internal diffusers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts