Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking for a less expensive alternative to the factory fog lights and found a pair of PILOT PRO SERIES FOG LIGHT HID HALOGEN PL-330W for $30 shipped on eBay. I couldn't pass it up. They sell for about $65 at a local shop. The factory fog light brackets are at an odd angle and don't line up with the brackets that came with the aftermarket lights so I used double sided tape around the bezel and Gorilla Glue to secure the housing to the bumper on the in side. The only hard part was lining up the light with the road while using double sided tape and Gorilla Glue. I figure I'd see how long it holds and if I need to I can always fab a mounting bracket.

What do you think?

By bboy503, shot with SCH-U540 at 2008-06-20

At dusk

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/6632/frontfogsonrm5.jpg[/IMG]

BEFORE

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Re: Aftermarket foglights installed - Pics

not a fan of the blue tint

those are the same as the $20 made-in-china driving lights from walmart... I'd be worried about how effective they'll be

I plan on grabbing some Hella Micro DEs

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I'm not a big fan of the blue lights ether and am thinking about staining them yellow. Besides the color they look almost identical to factory.

The DEs are nice but cost too much for me. I wanted something as close to factory as possible. The DEs are about 1" smaller making a gap.

My fogs are brighterd than my low beams and spread a wider beam pattern. I couldn't be happer with them.

Besides, I don't live in London so there isn't a lot of fog around here anyways. Ha Ha ;D

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

yeah the DEs are pricey

I'll probably actually get something cheaper and larger but similar in design

·
Registered
1,109 Posts

Looks good! Throw a T-Limited HD lip on the front to spice it up ;)

·
Registered
706 Posts

I'm not a fan of the blue sorry. they just dont look natural. A+ for being origional.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

Looks good! Throw a T-Limited HD lip on the front to spice it up ;)
The V2 is almost ready!

So seeing as how i bought a base WRX, i dont have fog lights. I noticed while installing my supertones that it looks like im pre-wired. Is this true? if so all i would need to get are the lights, mounting brackets and a switch corect?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

correct, the wiring is there. you need the switch (which is built into the turn signal/lights lever, so you have to replace the whole thing, it's $50) and the relay ($10 or so)

lights can be any ones you want but the OEM ones are pricey and not very bright.

I had the part numbers for the switch and relay but lost them... :(

if you email subiegal she can get them for you

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

So then its pretty much plug and play then?

Id go with some sort of aftermarket light. Not a fan of the OEM ones

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

well more like tear your steering column apart to replace the entire turn/lights lever, plug in the relay into the fuse box, and THEN play.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

damn....

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

it's not really that bad. you can do it with a phillips head screw driver and your bare hands. just saying it isn't as simple as plugging something in... if you don't already have the lever with the fog light switch, you have to buy it and replace your lever...

on previous models it was easier -- you just had to pop out one of the switch blanks under the left A/C vent and put a real switch in it's place (and the switch was $15 instead of $50).

but with new models comes a more refined design and more expensive parts :)

·
Registered
339 Posts

I will forego the OEM kit because I don't want to deal with the switch... I'll find a better switch and put it down on the dash... maybe I'll get the STI one, as it goes next to the dimmer switch.

Question... what do the mounting brackets look like? I'm considering a set of the PIAA 1100's, which are about $150/set. I'd kinda like to know what I'm up against before I have to get out the welder to make some brackets.

Rob

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

it's hard to explain... check with a dealer. they can send you pics.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I will forego the OEM kit because I don't want to deal with the switch... I'll find a better switch and put it down on the dash... maybe I'll get the STI one, as it goes next to the dimmer switch.

Question... what do the mounting brackets look like? I'm considering a set of the PIAA 1100's, which are about 0/set. I'd kinda like to know what I'm up against before I have to get out the welder to make some brackets.

Rob
The brackets have two tabs at roughly 5 and 7 o'clock and the reverse on the bumper. See below. If my ghetto tape doesn't hold I will take a piece of 3.5" pipe and mount it to the two tabs on the bumper and then mount the foglight mounting bracket to the pipe.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

Do you need to order the oem brakets? or will Aftermarket ones come with some?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Question... what do the mounting brackets look like? I'm considering a set of the PIAA 1100's, which are about 0/set. I'd kinda like to know what I'm up against before I have to get out the welder to make some brackets.

Rob

The brackets have two tabs at roughly 5 and 7 o'clock and the reverse on the bumper. See below. If my ghetto tape doesn't hold I will take a piece of 3.5" pipe and mount it to the two tabs on the bumper and then mount the foglight mounting bracket to the pipe.

The picture above are OEM brakcets. my aftermarket fogs came with generic brackets that don't line up with the factory mounting locations.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts

cool thanks

·
Registered
1,643 Posts

hey do the brackets have their own part numbers? I wonder if I could order them separately...

·
Registered
52 Posts

This was the first install I did on my WRX, it's very easy to do. I took the bumper off like the Subaru instructions said, I found out afterwards that there are ways to install them without doing that. One of the screws on the bottom of the steering wheel is a little hidden so make sure you look hard for it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts