Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just ordered a Pioneer AVIC-F90BT which i plan to install myself. I have never done anything like this before but I have done some research and it seems pretty straight forward.

I have a couple of questions about where to install the microphone and gps antenna. I have read in some other posts that people are installing the gps under the dash in the pocket behind the stereo between the air ducts. From what I can tell people say the results have been good. Has anyone have any better ideas or things I should look out for?

I am also trying to figure out the best place to install the microphone. The installation manual says above the visor or on the steering column. My goal is to install the deck while taking apart as little of the dash/car as possible. Where have people been installing their microphone and do you have any advice on getting it there?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
If you shoot me a PM I'll remember to take some pics of mine tomorrow...

Do you have a hatch or sedan?

I ran mine to the back of my cabin there's a little pad back there that worked perfect...

As for the Mic. I haven't found a permanent solution yet, right now I have it hiding in one of my gauges...

~Mike

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I'll get some pics of mine, as well. I have a 700bt. W/ the new 2.0 firmware update, it is really nice.

joneSi

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you shoot me a PM I'll remember to take some pics of mine tomorrow...

Do you have a hatch or sedan?

I ran mine to the back of my cabin there's a little pad back there that worked perfect...

As for the Mic. I haven't found a permanent solution yet, right now I have it hiding in one of my gauges...

~Mike
PM sent. I have the 5dr.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have been doing some more research on installing the deck. It appears the aftermarket harnesses for our cars dont include all the wires required to install a nav deck. Based on the information found on this post.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23905403&postcount=30

It appears the dimmer wire and the two steering wheel control wires are no included in the Scoshce NN04B Harness I bought (I am pretty sure the metra harness is the same way). I know i could jumper (as outlined here: http://www.sabbaracing.com/Tutorials/WRX/Audio/index.html) the wires to the factory harness but I prefer to not to tap the cars wires if possible. Waht I decided to do was buy two harnesses and i transplanted the three missing wires/pins to the other harness. Hopefully this will work out okay. I bent the retension clip back before re-inserting the pin/wire it in the harness and put a dap of superglue to keep the wire from moving.

I have another question. I have the factory subwoofer in my car. How does that tie into the factory radio and what needs to be done to keep functioning with my new deck (avic-f90bt)?

Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
The metra harness I used had all of the wires. The only thing I had to tap was the speed sense wire. Though, you should be able to add the illumination wire to the harness assuming the pins on the harness that weren't wired weren't blocked off to be kept from being wired.

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
Here are some pics,

Yeah I ordered a harness from Crutchfield...

The wires I ran for the Mic, it's not my permanent place but that's where it will hide for now...

When you take out your HU, take a light and shine it from the drivers side floor up and towards your center console. There is a hole you can see...

I've run all of my wires through there, I then ran it up into my gauge cluster... Pull on the shroud (straight out) and it will come...

Then remove the two screws holding in the gauges, and again you'll see a hole just run the wire through there and up...

I had to file a bit of my shroud to run the wires for my boost gauge so there was space for the wires when I went to pop the shroud back on...

Any other questions let me know...

~Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Mike, thanks for uploading the pics and the explanation. It makes me feel more comfortable about the install in general. This will be my first deck install ever and in my brand new car.

There is only one peice of information that I am having no luck finding anywhere.

Does anyone know how to integrate the oem sub into an aftermarket deck?

Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Does anyone know how to integrate the oem sub into an aftermarket deck?
Nope, but I do know I've seen this on a website, somewhere (nasioc, maybe?). I also know it IS possible (at least I would guess so), because I'm 99.9% sure they did manage to make it work with my factory sub. I'm not in to stereos, but with this car (I have the base 09) I really enjoy the bass from the sub. Sure it isn't a 12" sub (which I have for my home theater setup, lol), but it sounds better than any other factory stereo I've had (and I paid for a decent factory stereo in my Matrix, a 6 speaker setup).

joneSi

·
Registered
18 Posts
The metra harness I used had all of the wires. The only thing I had to tap was the speed sense wire. Though, you should be able to add the illumination wire to the harness assuming the pins on the harness that weren't wired weren't blocked off to be kept from being wired.
I'm curious, since i'm getting the same HU. Do you need to hook up the speed sense wire? Which one is it? Seaching alot for these anwsers and are more confused then ever.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
depending on your headunit you don't NEED to hook it up, but I would really suggest you do. My D3 is very unreliable if I don't have the speed sense wire connected. The reverse wire I did not hook up though. I've never noticed any issues, and the gps will correct my position pretty much immediately.

As for where to access the wire itself:

First, the plastic visor that is over the instrument cluster needs to come off. It's easy to remove. Sitting in the driver's seat gripping the top of the visor, just give it a firm tug straight towards yourself. It can require some force to remove, but as long as you are pulling straight towards the driver seat there really isn't any huge risk of breaking anything. It is held on by plastic clips, 4 of these clips are prone to staying stuck in the holes in the dash, so make sure you pull them out before you try to put the visor back on. (first pic)

Then, the cluster needs to come out. There are two screws at the top that need to be removed. Then the cluster just pulls out like the shroud did (although considerably easier). The cluster is attached with some wiring, so you can't pull it out very far, but you can pull it out far enough to gain access to the wiring in the lower right hand corner of the cluster, in the rear. (second pic)

Again, the wires are at the rear of the cluster, in the lower right-hand corner. The speed sense wire is the pink/green wire. I used a tap that was included with my GPS unit. (third pic)

Note: You can also apparently access the speed sense down below the passenger side dash, under the glove box, though I can not confirm this.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
thank you.

This is the 1st post I have see that someone actually points it out and I searched through at least 4 different forums (for 08/09). Again thank you.

Also I just like to say that I currently have a VW and am getting an 09 wrx soon. The SUB comunity blow the dub one aways in many aspects and it is a joy to be reading through these forums w/out seeing 1000posts of "how low can I go" and "will these 22" rims fit on my GLI for winter tires" LOL!

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
yah, you'll find more functional information, not so much "how to drop your car to the ground", or other appearance-centric mod info here. That is one thing I like about people who mod scoobies, they TEND to mod towards function/performance first, and appearance second. This has only become more true since the 3rd gen impreza came out as it seems to attract slightly more grown up drivers, and fewer racerboys.

It took some searching for me to find the correct wire. It seemed to be the one wire that not many people could really identify. If you find some place to easily access the reverse wire, let me know. I don't need it, but I guess I'd rather hook it up, so long as I don't have to run a wire all the way to the reverse lights.

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
Those pics are where I tapped the VSS wire when I installed it, and it works great...

Also, I have the stock sub and it works without having to run any new wires...

I'm pretty sure they integrate it into the front speaker wiring, not it's own independent output...

~Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
depending on your headunit you don't NEED to hook it up, but I would really suggest you do. My D3 is very unreliable if I don't have the speed sense wire connected. The reverse wire I did not hook up though. I've never noticed any issues, and the gps will correct my position pretty much immediately.

As for where to access the wire itself:

First, the plastic visor that is over the instrument cluster needs to come off. It's easy to remove. Sitting in the driver's seat gripping the top of the visor, just give it a firm tug straight towards yourself. It can require some force to remove, but as long as you are pulling straight towards the driver seat there really isn't any huge risk of breaking anything. It is held on by plastic clips, 4 of these clips are prone to staying stuck in the holes in the dash, so make sure you pull them out before you try to put the visor back on. (first pic)

Then, the cluster needs to come out. There are two screws at the top that need to be removed. Then the cluster just pulls out like the shroud did (although considerably easier). The cluster is attached with some wiring, so you can't pull it out very far, but you can pull it out far enough to gain access to the wiring in the lower right hand corner of the cluster, in the rear. (second pic)

Again, the wires are at the rear of the cluster, in the lower right-hand corner. The speed sense wire is the pink/green wire. I used a tap that was included with my GPS unit. (third pic)

Note: You can also apparently access the speed sense down below the passenger side dash, under the glove box, though I can not confirm this.
Thanks for the write-up on finding the vss wire. I wasnt going to do it before but it looks pretty straight-forward so i will give it a shot.

Those pics are where I tapped the VSS wire when I installed it, and it works great...

Also, I have the stock sub and it works without having to run any new wires...

I'm pretty sure they integrate it into the front speaker wiring, not it's own independent output...

~Mike
Mike thanks for answering my question about the sub. I have looked everywhere for that info without much luck. Not having to do anything special is the best scenario.

I received the deck today and got the harnesses soldered together. I also did the video in montion hack and added the PAC-SWI. I dont know when i will attempt the install in the car. It will probably be this weekend.

Thanks for everyones help.

Jeff

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I installed the deck last night. I thought it went good for my first car install ever. I did apply the video in motion hack and the vss wire. I didnt hook-up the reverse wire. I put the GPS antenna below the dash (on the top of the inside of the dash) in a pocket to the left of the stereo opening. I installed the mic right above the steering column, clipped to the bottom of the gauge cluster. I havent had much time to test how well it works there. I put the ipod cable in the glove box.

I installed the PAC-SWI module to keep the steering wheel controls. It works okay but the delay is annoying. When i press the mute button my stereo goes into ATT mode?? (which lowers the volume drastically but it doesnt mute it). I know the stereo has a true mute. I dont know if i would play with the SWI more if I could get more out of it, but now that the stereo is in, i dont think i will mess with it. I tried to double-stick tape this module to the air duct running on each side of the opening but it wouldnt stick (about 30 degrees in my garage last night). I decided to zip-tie it to that air duct instead which i think is the more secure solution.

The sub worked with no additional connections. The new deck makes the speakers sound much better. The GPS reception is good. The ipod interface is awesome.

I did apply the 2.0 update and bluetooth update. I did some testing with the voice recognition and bluetooth. The verdict is still out. It was late at night so i havent tested a call with anyone. My call to VM, my recoreded voice sounded kinda quiet and distant, but maybe there is a way to adjust mic sensetivity. I havent read the owners manual yet. The audio coming through the phone is clear.

Thanks for everyone help in answering my questions.

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
Hey with the steering wheel controls...

I still need to do that, what wires need to be tapped and which color from the actual control box need to be used?

Isn't it amazing how much better the speakers sound? It's night and day?

I recommend for the iPod to turn off the voice command database thing unless you update your iPod with new songs...

I turn it on about once a week to update the database, it helps a lot with the load times...

Glad it all worked out for ya,

Cheers,

~Mike

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey with the steering wheel controls...

I still need to do that, what wires need to be tapped and which color from the actual control box need to be used?

Isn't it amazing how much better the speakers sound? It's night and day?

I recommend for the iPod to turn off the voice command database thing unless you update your iPod with new songs...

I turn it on about once a week to update the database, it helps a lot with the load times...

Glad it all worked out for ya,

Cheers,

~Mike
Hi Mike:

You are absolutely right about the speakers sounding much better. I also took your advice about the VR indexing on the ipod, that does get annoying.

The PAC-SWI was easy to install. I followed the instructions found in the two links i listed in post 5 of this thread. It is outlined really well in the sabbracing tutorial with pictures and everything. The only thing that i did different was i didnt tap the wires on the cars harness side, instead i bought two harnesses and moved the missing two pins over to get the connections since the replacement harnesses dont have every pin you need.

If you look here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23485534&postcount=21

"Steering Wheel Controls:
Use a PESWIPS Interface (got mine at Fry's)
www.peripheralelectronics.com
Follow the Nissan 2008 Pathfinder Instructions

Connect:
Black to GRND
Red to +12 accessory
White to pin 14 yellow on subaru radio harness
then ground pin 5 brown on the subaru harness
You don't use any of the other wires.

Connect output of PESWIPS to the jack on the back of the deck.
Program the buttons as per the instructions.

Hope this helps someone."

When i went to program mine i found subaru specific instructions on the pac website which is what i followed instead of the nissan ones.

If you didnt buy the interface yet, I suggest you hold off. PAC came out in said on avic411.com (http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19553) that they know it doesnt work right and they plan to release a better one. Of course i didnt see this until after I installed mine. It works, it just is slow and you cant do presets. Sometimes the mute button is inconsistent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When i first installed the microphone i clipped it to the front of the gauge cluster. My initial testing was i sounded very distant and like i was in a tunnel. I did some more research and decided to install it on the headliner and it sounds much much better. Its closer to the driver and the headliner might absorb some noise???? I say mount it on the headline the first time.

Attached are the orginal and final location.

On a side note, what do people use to clean their touch screens?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
When i first installed the microphone i clipped it to the front of the gauge cluster. My initial testing was i sounded very distant and like i was in a tunnel. I did some more research and decided to install it on the headliner and it sounds much much better. Its closer to the driver and the headliner might absorb some noise???? I say mount it on the headline the first time.

Attached are the orginal and final location.

On a side note, what do people use to clean their touch screens?
My mic is installed on the headliner above the rearview. I have no idea how it sounds, lol, I had it installed at a local place because I don't do installs of any car audio goodies.

I have a 700bt, and I use Armor All glass wipes to clean the screen. They seem to work ok I mean I haven't melted the screen yet, lol.

Oh, right, love the JDM dash kit. I bought the same one from japanparts.com. I've never had a JDM part until now, before this I had a matrix (not exactly a big parts bins full of JDM parts for those), and of course I had my civic Si before, tons of stuff for that available but ?ºber expensive. It wasn't any picnic for this thing at $80 or so, but damnit, it looks GOOD :D.

joneSi

1 - 20 of 39 Posts