Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had this in a thread, but I decided to make a new thread for it.

Anyway, Got my BOV in the mail finally..

Vivid Racing forgot/lost my order.. I Mailed them to find out what was going on the next week, and they then mailed it.. I was kinda pissed.

Anyway.. I got the BOV, put it on my car and it's set was on 50/50.. I don't really know how to change it, it didn't come with anything but an agency power sticker. Started up and went down the street, and it was stalling.. It has an adjustable screw thing on top of it.... that I again, didn't know what it did.

I disconnected the battery for 10 mins and reset the ECU, turn on the ignition for 5 secs to let it check itself, then I Fired it up.. Figured that the screw thing is for adjusting the idle open. You can see on idle that the piston was open from the vent. I looked at the AP bov on the web site and noticed they tightened it pretty much all the way down, so I did that. Penny light acceleration was just a stalling lag before.. it was better now.. Also It was not stalling after a rev to idle though it seemed like it wanted to. Drove more.. it was still a little dead on minute throttle.. So I tightened the screw more.. it helped.... Now it's running pretty good. It sounds good and it doesn't do much but bounce infrequently off idle after a rev or seem to want to stall..

So far so good. I will post if I have any problems.

Oh there was one problem.. The vent that recirclulates on the bov was too small for the hose. I wrapped tape around the vent to thicken it up, using a spacer like a cut radiator hose can work too.. Tape worked fine.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will try and get some pics up, I like the unit. But it's not 100% direct fit and I don't anything to compare it to. Where is a good place I can store the pics online so I can link them in? I am not a big internet buff.

It literally looks and sounds like this.. but I will try and get my own up here.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, problems..

Now it's starting to stall after shifting when I run up the psi and release to idle... I am going to take it apart and see how to set it to 100% recirc, As is, it seems to be a bit boggy.

Here's my question. Does the ECU map upgrade flash make dummy the recirc MAF sensor?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I wouldn't think so, the reflash tells the ECU to run at a certain level, it tricks the ECU to believe that it is runny in the norm even when you are running a little rich, increased air or whatever.

But, the vent to air can make your car stall, is there a way to tighten the BOV, not change from vent to recirculate. You need to change the stiffness of the spring, cause it sounds like it is not tight enough to keep the boost up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it's tightened all the way down, but I can check. might be able to get a few more turns out of it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently bought a 08 wrx and everybody that I have talked to has had a stalling problem when they installed a new BOV and wastegate on the 2.5. I am reallly wanting to be able to hear my turbo but I dont want to deal with my new car stalling everytime that I push in the clutch. Any advise or suggestions?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I recently bought a 08 wrx and everybody that I have talked to has had a stalling problem when they installed a new BOV and wastegate on the 2.5. I am reallly wanting to be able to hear my turbo but I dont want to deal with my new car stalling everytime that I push in the clutch. Any advise or suggestions?
I'm running on blitz supersound, 100% released air.. anyway, no problems with stalling, but i do get the rich air fuel situation, resulting in some fuel combusting in the exhaust causing a pop sound. Nothing problematic...

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I went with the Perrin Full Recirc and have not had any issues, and it really looks good under the hood. I have read too many problems with the vent to air.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have seen 50/50 BOVs and I have recently found a BOV that can be adjusted to any ratio that you want ie. 80/20 or 90/10 I think that I may try it I will post a sound clip and the performance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh that sucks. I would be pissed if I ordered something and it never came. I have installed my swaybars, Bushings, window tint and CAI. I can actually hear my turbo a lot better now without a BOV installed. Its still not where I want it but it will be.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts