Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have anyone ran into problems opening up the stock air box to change the filter, mine seems very tight, I unclip the two latches and popped out the hose from the holder. However it still seem very tight.

·
Registered
345 Posts
i didnt even have to take off the hoses to get mine out take the latches off and wiggle it around you need to use some force but not much there is some grooves it fits into on the bottom idk if thats troubling your situation but should come right out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I didn't need to loosen it either. In fact, I didn't even know I needed to loosen the hose until after I replaced the air filter. I have to remember to read the directions first before working on my car. :D Either way, I was able to wiggle that thing out and replace it. Just make sure it's aligned properly at the bottom.

·
Registered
253 Posts
It is a tight fit. When I first did it, i remember being suprised how tight it was. It seemed to only want to open just enough to be able to slide the panel filter out and put a new one in... There are three notches on the bottom of the box that are probably the cause for this.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I found it easier to remove the intake duct two little phillips heads then removing the filter.

·
Registered
88 Posts
have anyone ran into problems opening up the stock air box to change the filter, mine seems very tight, I unclip the two latches and popped out the hose from the holder. However it still seem very tight.
yeah, I had some problems...cut my hands up like crazy trying to get that sucker in there...I did take the ram air duct off...don't bother with using a phillips to unscrew the clips...it seems like that was just for show they stripped immediately when I tried to unscrew them..just use a flat head and pry them out...seems like that was the way it was meant to work anyways...but yeah I had to fiddle with the damn airbox forever to get the new filter in their...I just didn't want to break anything so I was trying to use as little force and move it as little as possible...I'm new to working on cars though so I was nervous and didn't want to screw anything up....but once I got it in I was really happy with the results...not really noticeable increase in power but the throttle seemed more responsive and the turbo seems to spool faster...FWIW I got an AVO drop in.....BTW I followed the manual's instructions to change it out

·
Registered
88 Posts
does anyone know if there's a "top" and "bottom" to the airfilter? There seem's to be a front and back but does it matter which side goes up? It fit in and was snug...but like I said above I'm new to this so now I'm just wondering???

·
Registered
223 Posts
Air filter has a front and back, but you can't install it upside down. Air filter box always gives minimal room to remove and replace. I find it's easiest to have someone else holding the airbox open while you pull the air filter out and put in the new one. Minimizes the damage to your hands, hehe. ;D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts