Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okie guys tell me wat you are using as air filters and short write up on pros and cons !!

I DUN KNOW WHICH TO BUY !!!!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
i have a avo drop in.it is a dry element filter.also there are k&n,hks,etc.i think the avo is good quality for the money.it looks alot like a k&n without the oil on it.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a avo drop in.it is a dry element filter.also there are k&n,hks,etc.i think the avo is good quality for the money.it looks alot like a k&n without the oil on it.
Yeah i heard about the AVO panel... seems quite popular with you guys... after you changed it, did it have a better throttle respond or better MPG?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I just bought the K&N drop-in. Mostly because I have never had a problem w/ them before. I can tell you that there are a few improvements right away. The throttle response is much smoother across the rpm range, not so much of a "dead-spot" feeling. The car starts much quicker. My average MPG hovers from 25-29 mpg on the computer and it would never pass 26mph before. Mostly 22-26mpg. The only noise difference I can tell, if any, is I think I can here more of a "Shhhh" type sound from 2300rpm-4000rpm. It is not really all that noticeable though. Last but not least, power feels less dead around the 5000rpm mark. At this juncture I'm thinking that spending the extra $180 beans for a short ram would have suited me just fine.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Okie guys tell me wat you are using as air filters and short write up on pros and cons !!

You could get Blitz drop in filter. Available at LTM. Smoother acceleration.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just bought the K&N drop-in. Mostly because I have never had a problem w/ them before. I can tell you that there are a few improvements right away. The throttle response is much smoother across the rpm range, not so much of a "dead-spot" feeling. The car starts much quicker. My average MPG hovers from 25-29 mpg on the computer and it would never pass 26mph before. Mostly 22-26mpg. The only noise difference I can tell, if any, is I think I can here more of a "Shhhh" type sound from 2300rpm-4000rpm. It is not really all that noticeable though. Last but not least, power feels less dead around the 5000rpm mark. At this juncture I'm thinking that spending the extra 0 beans for a short ram would have suited me just fine.
What a write up !!! i applaud you on efforts and in depth !
i heard that the K&N ones need to be oiled? is that true? whats the maintenance process like?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HELP !!!

Now the vote is

Blitz - 01 vote
K&N - 01 vote
AOV - 01 vote

YOU GUYS AINT HELPING ME DECIDE !!! hahahahah really appreciate the in put and hope more ppl give me their thoughts !

·
Premium Member
0 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

You could get Blitz drop in filter. Available at LTM. Smoother acceleration.
how much does it cost? are you using it? does it need to be oiled?
I think it's around . For my SGT. No need to be oiled.

FWAh i didnt realise its that cheap.. tot will be 100+... did you manage to check to see if FC improved? like the K&N ones?

·
Registered
0 Posts
FWAh i didnt realise its that cheap.. tot will be 100+... did you manage to check to see if FC improved? like the K&N ones?
improve FC? never heard of such drop in filter improving that... used KNN before on previous ride, it only make it worst, not improve.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Sorry fellas, what does FC stand for?

The K&N does need to be oiled once it has been cleaned. It does come oil from the factory from the start. I've had a K&N in several vehicles before and have never had any issues, just better performance. After reading what others have said about oil-types I was almost scared away from it but having experienced these filters first hand on several different vehicles and never having an issue, I decided to go with a proven name brand product. Personally I can see the oil becoming an issue if it is over done.

The improvements from a drop-in type filter are obviously not major ones. I can tell you that for the $42 I spent on mine (amazon.com) it is very well worth the money, for me it is. The smoothness, the starting and the mileage were not HUGE improvements but enough to notice.

·
Registered
0 Posts

Yo, I'm using Blitz open pod. Its made of steel. Can feel tat RPM risese real fast after 2k RPM. It sounds better as well. Suction sound is loud but not as loud as BOV for sure. I like it a lot. I'm driving a manual, I didn't feel any low end lag. The only disadvantage that I know of is the price. Can buy 5 KNN drop in filter.

My opinion, if u dun mind the sound go for open pod dun waste time. I brought KNN drop in, used it for a week and I'm selling it now. Check out market place if you're interested in buy mine. Thanks.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

The K&N does need to be oiled once it has been cleaned. It does come oil from the factory from the start. I've had a K&N in several vehicles before and have never had any issues, just better performance. After reading what others have said about oil-types I was almost scared away from it but having experienced these filters first hand on several different vehicles and never having an issue, I decided to go with a proven name brand product. Personally I can see the oil becoming an issue if it is over done.

The improvements from a drop-in type filter are obviously not major ones. I can tell you that for the I spent on mine (amazon.com) it is very well worth the money, for me it is. The smoothness, the starting and the mileage were not HUGE improvements but enough to notice.
Hey bro,

I used MPG when talking to you but since i was talking to a local i used FC ( Fuel Consumption ). I get different reviews from different ppl.. but i have anticipated it already.. just waiting for more info to come in.. BTW are K&N open pod? sorry i m not familiar with car modding.. I like the suction sound. does the K&N enhance it?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Yo, I'm using Blitz open pod. Its made of steel. Can feel tat RPM risese real fast after 2k RPM. It sounds better as well. Suction sound is loud but not as loud as BOV for sure. I like it a lot. I'm driving a manual, I didn't feel any low end lag. The only disadvantage that I know of is the price. Can buy 5 KNN drop in filter.

My opinion, if u dun mind the sound go for open pod dun waste time. I brought KNN drop in, used it for a week and I'm selling it now. Check out market place if you're interested in buy mine. Thanks.
OOOooooo I LIKE THE SOUND !!! but how much does the Blitz cost? your KNN how much?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At present the voting goes like this

Now the vote is

Blitz - 02 votes
K&N - 01 vote
AOV - 01 vote

Guys can help me with the cost of the above air filters?

·
Registered
214 Posts

The improvements from a drop-in type filter are obviously not major ones. I can tell you that for the I spent on mine (amazon.com) it is very well worth the money, for me it is. The smoothness, the starting and the mileage were not HUGE improvements but enough to notice.
Hey bro,

I used MPG when talking to you but since i was talking to a local i used FC ( Fuel Consumption ). I get different reviews from different ppl.. but i have anticipated it already.. just waiting for more info to come in.. BTW are K&N open pod? sorry i m not familiar with car modding.. I like the suction sound. does the K&N enhance it?
Oh, OK! Thanks FC, got it!

No, the sound is pretty much close to the stock. It's not open, it's a drop-in.

The only problem I have w/ Blitz is that the metal lets a bit more dirt particles in.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts