Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been contemplating doing the airbox mod but not sure if it's a good idea with Perrin Stage 1. The map states stock intake. Do you guys think this would cause an issue?

ALain

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
i removed the front of my airbox too.i also am perrin stage 1.the numbers on the accessport are good on live data.i think cobb says no mods to airbox as a safetynet for them with trouble from customers.i would worry more about changing to a short ram or cold air system with out a map for an intake..thats totally different than modding the stock airbox.just my opinion.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you cut the entire front off or just remove the ram air part? I was thinking the same thing but wanted to make sure.

Thanks
Alain

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
i removed the front of the airbox with a dremel.i left the mounting bolt holes and removed the rest.it still clips together.another member also did this in the diy section of here.also there are pics there.good luck.click here.it on the second page halfway down. http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=2183.0

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats exactly what I wanted to do. I guess I will do it tomorrow. I have a Perrin filter on order as well so may wait till then.

Thanks

Alain

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
This mod will not do enough to total airflow to make the map unsafe for use. Also the main pls of the drop-in filters are not so much performance gains as they are for their re-useability.

Perrin Dyno- 2hp peak increase
I would assume most others are in the same range.
Try the Blitz drop-in from a LGT
No oil just dishwahing soap and air dry.
No risk of MAF damage from oil. Some filters are really oily, make sure you get rid of all the excess prior to installation if you decide on the oiled types.

Have fun

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the feedback. I ended up doing this last night and monitored a/f and seemed to go 11.0 at WOT everytime so good and safe. I ordered Perrin filter hoping that comes in tomorrow and I am set. Car will be on the roller October 19th so we'll see what all the little stuff does.

Alain

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Thanks guys for the feedback. I ended up doing this last night and monitored a/f and seemed to go 11.0 at WOT everytime so good and safe. I ordered Perrin filter hoping that comes in tomorrow and I am set. Car will be on the roller October 19th so we'll see what all the little stuff does.

Alain
Remember to post. I want to see if you hit the 300tq target that map shoots for :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts