Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my WRX 5 door to an alignment shop today because I felt that the dealer did not do a satisfactory job (after the 2nd time). I took it back with 200 miles on it and it was pulling to the right. They said it was out of alignment and told me it was fixed. Well, I took it back a week later and they said they could not (or would not) get it any better.
So I took it to a pro today. At first I was a little weary because of my dealer experience and had it in the back of my mind that, "maybe wandering and strong drifts due to the road crown was the nature of AWD".
When I went in I stated what was going on, but would like to talk to the actual tech that would be servicing the car, I was introduced to him and he actually took me back to the lift. To my surprise he was an AWD/turbo car enthusiast. He was very excited about getting to look at the new WRX and wanted me to stay back there while he adjusted everything so we could talk suspensions.
Most of you probably already knew these things but some may not, but this is what I learned today:
The front AND rear toe is adjustable.
The front camber is adjustable, the rear is not.
The caster is not.
The rear camber is set at -0.5 degrees, (perfect?)
We set the front camber to match. It will go to -0.5 degrees but the adjusting cams are pretty much maxxed so anymore negative degree adjustment will require an aftermarket setup.
We set front and rear toe at 0 degrees.
The car is 100x's better now and actually drives straight!!
I'm not even sure if the dealer actually fixed it when I brought it in, but if so their tech needs to be fired!
Front/Left wheel had +0.06 degrees of camber.
Front/Right had -0.3 degrees of camber.
Front/Rear were both toed "IN" with every wheel being different with ranges between 0.6-0.02.
The stering wheel was set at 11 o'clock??
I feel it was the best $60 I will spend on the car from just the schooling I got on how everything works and the time the tech spent explaining everything. The car actually driving correctly was a bonus. I honestly feel I should take the bill to the dealer for a refund with the "before and after" sheets.
But anyway, maybe this will be informative to some.

SRH

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks for posting, useful info. I'm glad that the latter part of your experience was worth your time.

If I were you I would send a copy of the details to the dealership with a note saying you will also be sending it along to corporate. Perhaps they will step up their game.

·
Registered
646 Posts
i know on the previous wrx models, the alignment was a very big handling improvement. the toe should be set at 0 all the way around w/ oem camber in the rear and maxed out negative camber in the front while keeping it even on both sides. so if you have -.9 on left, set it to -.9 on the right to. maxing out the negative camber up front really helps with response and cornering alot. and as long as the toe is set at 0 all the way around, tire wear should be same as stock if not a slight, very slight difference according to driving styles. this worked out very well on my 05 and i plan to do the same on this one after i get some springs and some aggressive camber bolts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
now than im thinking about it... mines also pulling a bit on the right

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
same here, it pulls to the right...I always assumed it was the crown in the road and figured a brand new car shouldn't need an alignment, but maybe they never do it after it's put together at the factory?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
i thin i will just wait a bit more, when i will have my new wheel i will do alignment also

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I hit a big pot hole and my crappy factory alignment got worse... the wheel is at 11 o'clock and the car pulls to the LEFT.

found a Mr. Tire in town that will do non-factory spec alignments for $89.00, they'll do it tomorrow at 4pm -- other places in town wanted my car "all day long" (wtf?) and couldn't promise they'd do non-OEM specs... for $100+ --- guess who I chose to go to...

I was going to go for -1.0 degrees camber in the front but I think it maxes out at -0.7 or so.... so I'll just get -0.5 to match the rear, and 0 toe all around. I've read that setting it to 1/16" toe-out can help cornering but mess up freeway driving.

note this post about suspension setups:
http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=536.msg4947

I do autocross so I'm trying to get a good setup but still be good on the tires since this is a daily driven car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
haven't hit anything. pulls hard to the left, steering wheel also at 11 o'clock. however i did have lowering springs put on, but they guy said he set it back to factory settings after the install.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
if you had springs put on and your alignment is off, chances are the guy didn't do an alignment, he just put everything back to the same settings, which won't work :(

·
Registered
84 Posts
must be. well i'm getting an alignment in a few days anyways.

·
Registered
23 Posts
my 09 wrx pulls to the left, and steering wheel is a little to the left, im not sure if it is all the way at 1100 or not though. i took it into the dealership because it was pulling a little to the left. they first told me nothing was wrong. i kept driving it and it got worse. they said they aligned it once under warranty for free. it now pulls to the left a little, not as bad, but still pulls.

i'm going to take it somewhere else to get it aligned.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
the factory alignment compensates for crown in the road... but sometimes a little too much (some states have a more severe crown...)

see if they can set it more neutral and that may help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts