Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, ive always been one to try and do something out of the norm. As most of you may agree, the tail lights are one of the MUST fixes on this car. They are for me at least. I know a lot of people have been using tint overlays or transparent paint but i think im going to try something a little different. I want to open up my tails and paint the chrome flat black (leaving the reverse lights and turn signals as they are). BUT i also want to leave the chrome inside the recessions for the lights so they will still reflect the red and look cool at night. Would baking the lights work like people do with headlights? My buddy did the same thing to his 07 sti tails but he had to take a dremel to em and cut them open. I would prefer to stay away from that route. If anyone heres good at photohop you think you might be able to crop me up a sample? Any info on how feasible you all think this is would be appreciated as well.

heres are 2 older pics of my rear end. (im also debating going with painting the chrome black to match the rear diffuser as opposed to WRB)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I'm good with photoshop, but I don't have time to mess with it at this second. I'll do it a bit later if someone else hasn't already done it.

Also, as far as I know, you can't bake 08 taillights either, I believe that are going to need to be dremeled as well.

I was probably going to do something very similar to what you want to do, but I decided on red film instead because it was way easier and less likely to mess up perfectly good taillights...I'd definitely try it if I had a set of spares.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, thats some bad news. If thats the case, I may contact my buddy who did his and have him help me out. His look SICK, but he said he was scared as fuck to make the first cut. Though after that it was a breeze.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I would be willing to pay for this mod. Black housing would be quite nice.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for sure. so ive been looking at my tails and im almost positive they're held together by some sort of epoxy. open your trunk and take a look at the sides. Theyre a grey plastic and there's a bit of a gap between the grey and the clear outer shield. I may be wrong but i think they may be able to be pulled apart. If so I think I'm going to have to hand paint and sand it to get it to look the way i want. I want to find a paint to match the rear diffuser and paint the chrome strip the same color as well as the inside of the lights. If i could get them textured the same that would be PERFECT but i dont think thats gonna happen so i think color matched will do fine.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ordered myself a can of VHT Nite Shades off ebay today. Going to try and bake the tails before i try and cut them. They looked like theyre epoxied together to me, if not, no loss. I have a friend who cut upen his 06-07 tails and painted all the chrome flat black and it looks SICK. He says hes helped a few people do it now and he's willing to help me out if it comes to cutting them open. Im going to spray the chrome inside with the translucent black to try and go for a black chrome look. If it works and i like it im going to also spray the chrome strip, 3rd brake light, and rear reflectors. I cant wait for it to arrive!! ;D

·
Registered
164 Posts
I am definately watching this thread. I am planning on just tinting the outside of my tails, but If this comes out good I may just have to copy you. I was already planning on spraying the chrome strip with the tint for a black chrome effect, [as well as the chrome around the grill]

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I am definately watching this thread. I am planning on just tinting the outside of my tails, but If this comes out good I may just have to copy you. I was already planning on spraying the chrome strip with the tint for a black chrome effect, [as well as the chrome around the grill]
^^^+1

·
Registered
159 Posts
Any Update?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Any update on this? I remember I tried baking my old cars tails without looking at them first... lets just say the backs came out in a different shape then they went in lol. Melted them to hell haha

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Before anybody even attempts this. DO NOT BAKE THE TAILS IN THE OVEN. There is nothing that shortens an LED's lifespan more than heat.

I haven't checked everything out but you would have to get the LED's out before you put it in the oven. I don't even think a oven will help to crack these open.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I was working on my tail lights and noticed that they are sonic welded. The only way to get them apart is with a dremel.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I was working on my tail lights and noticed that they are sonic welded. The only way to get them apart is with a dremel.
I thought we established this 6 months ago? lol
Nobody mentioned that it was sonic welded. People conjectured that it was epoxied.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I thought we established this 6 months ago? lol
Nobody mentioned that it was sonic welded. People conjectured that it was epoxied.
Fair enough, I was commenting on them needing to be dremeled, not how they were attached (sonic welding, silicon, epoxy, etc)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts