Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't seen this mentioned before... When connecting an amp to the factory head unit you can purchase a reverse factory wire harness (Metra 71-7552) and a normal factory wire harness (Metra 70-7552). This will allow an easy method to get speaker level signal off of the factory head unit and then send it back to the factory speakers without cutting anything or using t-taps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm not trying to expain how to connect an aftermarket deck. I'm explaining how to connect an aftermarket amp to the factory head unit without cutting or tapping into any factory wiring. I attached a picture to show what I am talking about. If this is on NASIOC I must have missed it.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
its a total waste of 30$ if you want my opinion... you can just connect to the OEM speaker wire without cutting anything

·
Registered
954 Posts
buy the mtx re-q5. i just hooked mine up. has rca for front/rear/sub, easy to install and sounds good too. only like $115 i got mine for

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its a total waste of 30$ if you want my opinion... you can just connect to the OEM speaker wire without cutting anything
Do you mean at the speakers or at the headunit using vampire clips? My suggestion is saying that you can run speaker level from the head unit to a processor or LOC. Then from there you can go to an amp and from the amp up to the headunit again where you can butt connect to the factor speaker wires again to go to the speakers. I don't see how this is a waste of money. No factory wires are cut or vampire clipped and it's incredibly easy to just take out both wiring harnesses and restore everything to factory. And you don't have to run new wire to any speakers. Only speaker wire goes from headunit to LOC, and amp to headunit.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes old thread...

I have been wondering if these part # plugs will be the same for my '11 with non-nav radio?

TIA

BTW, yes I am in the middle of searching. Every single thread and it is taking a long time too. lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Your 2011 still uses the same 20-pin factory harness for power and speakers, so those Metra harnesses (such as they are) are still the "correct" parts for your 2011.

Unfortunately, the 70-7552 lacks several wires that you would need when you want to keep your factory radio and wire an amp and/or sub in between it and the factory harness -- dimmer (pin 2), CAN data (pins 11 and 12), and all of the SWC wires (pins 4 and 14 on 2008-2010 models). The 71-7552 lacks the two CAN bus wires (although two wires can be repinned so it could work on 2008-2010 models).

2011 Imprezas (and Foresters) with the new phone buttons on the steering wheel added a new wire to the factory harness for that -- pin 13. The 70-7552 also lacks that wire, and the 71-7552 doesn't have enough spares to cover both CAN and the 3rd SWC wire.

See my 20-pin pin-out table for details.

I have two configurations of harnesses that include wires on all 20 pins. On one, the speaker wires are split out, and there are "T" branches on the two +12V leads. Link. On the second, all wires are about 10" long and go straight through. Contact me by e-mail for more info.

·
Registered
139 Posts
SVXdc, thanks for that. I will be contacting you when the time comes for the install. That should be once it cools off some.

so wait, why spend on this when vampire clips are quick, cheap and easy?

i used vamp clips at the headunit run to my JL Cleansweep and run my amp off that. Works great!
Same reason some just twist wires and tape, and others solder and use shrink tubing.

Preference, quality, pride in workmanship.

Use what you like, and what you feel comfortable with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts