Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The jury is mostly still out on the whole STI pink blowing struts thing.

Alot of the strut failures were due to improper installs of the springs, however, some cases of failure are not accounted for.

I have not heard of any strut failures with cobb or swift springs yet (although I could have missed them).

But logically the percentage of STI pink related failures will tend to be higher because so many more STI pink units were probably sold than all the others combined. (they were $158 for a set of 4 for awhile afterall)

Swifts are a more aggressive spring though, so logically if STI pinks themselves were causing strut blowouts frequently, then every person who installed swifts would have all their struts blown out already.

I think you'll be fine with swifts, but do a careful install or have a shop do it that will replace the struts if they somehow mess it up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have 3 months and 3500 or so miles on my Swifts. No problems at all with the shocks as far a I can tell (definitely no leaking). Two others I know with Swifts on 2008 WRXs also have no shock problems. The Swifts have nearly identical spring rates to the STI pinks but do lower the car a little more (wagon 1 inch, sedan .8 inch). They are made of slightly different material and use Swift's proprietary spring technology. I have been extremely pleased with them; they do a great job of controlling the car being just slightly harsher than the stock springs under some road conditions while actually being smoother on other types of roads.

My guess, given how suddenly and completely some shocks "blew out" after a spring upgrade, is that it is a property of the shocks that makes them extra prone to failure during the process of taking them off and back on the car, rather than due to a modestly higher rate (35%), slightly shorter spring - the air in the shocks issue mentioned here and in the WRX service manual or something else, we all would like to know. And some may also have failed due to incorrect re-installs during the upgrade.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Like I have stated elsewhere, I had a pair of struts blow out after installing the Pinks, but now with my replacement struts in and following the Subaru install manual, I haven't had any signs of leaking in over 3 weeks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
No problems here so far, I've about 3500km on them (so not a lot, really). But only praise for these. I love 'em.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I will be installing them next week... i have STi pinks on my car rite now and they are fine... so i believe the swift should be fine as well

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
riding my pink spring since last may and enjoy them a lot :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts