Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to resist my normal temptation of tinkering and run D Stock next season w/ my 09. I think the car should stack up reasonably well, the biggest crux I see is FHI's decision to stick w/ a 17x7 wheel. I know that several of the 06/07 WRX D Stock guys (and gals!) were successfully running 245/40/17's- quite q squeeze on 7" rims but evidently doable.

The biggest front sway bar I've seen available is the WL BSF 30XZ a 24/26mm adj bar, there is a guy on IWSTI that builds a custom big front bar for the STI, it's possible he could come up w/ something for the GH as well????

Be curious what thoughts/experience w/ setups.

Mike

·
Registered
298 Posts
i run DS (in a street tire class) in my 08 and did very well (1st place overall in my SCCA region). I run 225s, i feel like the 245s wouldnt have the same response since there's so much tire sticking outside the wheel (i havent personally tried though). the handling is quite different on the 09 so i cant quite comment on the sways, but i personally like the balance of the car where it is so i left the front sway as it was. i need an alignment to try to get as much camber as i can because the outside of my tires are bald and the inside has a bunch of tread left. running kosei k1-ts for wheels, a good 8 lbs lighter per wheel and the spt exhaust (i'm going to try to do a dump for next season for less weight, but need to make sure it doesnt screw the afr up). for tire pressure i'm running 50 psi in front and 44-45 in back on dunlop z1 star specs. going to go with those or the new potenza re-11 next year (might consider the new kumho xs if the reviews are good enough) - that is if i dont get an 09 and run race tires next year

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
i Run DS but man i know the 08's need springs and new rubre im still runing stock springs and ruber i got some pix up at

myspace.com/chornykot03

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish we had a street class for stock, would significantly uncomplicate things. I've heard very good things about the Dunlop (several top finishers at Nationals were running those in STX).

You need to try a front sway bar- it took me several years to finally become convinced of their worth, but now I'm a believer :)

the stiffer springs are a blessing w/ the 09- no doubt

225 is clearly a better fit on a 7" rim, but guys that have run 245's (talking R compounds may be different for a street tire???) said it's night and day.

I'm probably going to give the Hankook Z212's in the 71 compound a go- longer lived than the Hossies and Kumhos w/o giving up too much grip

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Mike hows the new 09 :)
Hi Andy. I'll be perfectly honest- I love it! The thing is very torquey (granted I'm coming from two 2.0's), it's far and away the firmest "off the lot" suspension I've driven, I love the interior and I very much like the looks from the outside as well.

The "boss" (who didn't think it the wisest move to go from no car payments w/ the 04 to car payments w/ the 09) is giving it a big two thumbs up as well :D

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
may have found a source for custom sway bars :) This is one he built for a 09 WRX- 29mm vs the oe (in pic as well) 21mm

he said w/ the subframe arrangement of the 08/09's- there is plenty of room- he's thinking even 32-34mm !!!!! if a guy wanted to go that big

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
can put a check mark by my DS wheels :) found a great deal on used set (pretty scratched up) of the BBS Mesh wheels that were a dealer option on the 02/03 WRX's- fully forged and w/ the steep dealer price of $2500!

17x7 offset is 55 et, weight a svelt 15.2 lbs :)

for everyday summer wear and wet events, found these "Saab 92X" dealer option wheels (complete w/ Saab center caps :lol:)- they are actually BBS RK's (now discontinued) for very cheap

17x7 et 48, weight 17.8 lbs- not as svelt, but considering the stockers are 23.2 lbs- not shabby

May have found a slightly used set of 245/40 Hoosiers, we'll see

·
Registered
298 Posts
is the offset on the 08 wrx 55mm or 53mm, i can't remember? if it's 55, then the RKs are technically out because they're beyond the 0.25 inch offset difference (though unless your doing a national competition, no one's gonna care).

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
29mm is kind of overkill, don't you think? Putting sway bars that big on the car really increases stress on the chassis. I wouldn't even think about it.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
is the offset on the 08 wrx 55mm or 53mm, i can't remember? if it's 55, then the RKs are technically out because they're beyond the 0.25 inch offset difference (though unless your doing a national competition, no one's gonna care).
oe offset is 55. 0.25" = 6.35mm; 55- 6.35 =48.65, all I need to do is take them to a machine shop and have them mill off .65mm which equates to .03" :D in all actuality I think anyone would be very hard pressed to measure w/ any repeatability the offset of any wheel to within .03"- I would bet this is well within the tolerance range of any wheel

29mm is kind of overkill, don't you think? Putting sway bars that big on the car really increases stress on the chassis. I wouldn't even think about it.
I ran a 27/29mm bar on my 04 wagon for four years w/o any problems- it's probably the de facto bar of choice for both DS and STX

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
added a few more bits to the "plie"

Hoosier A6's (slightly used) in 245/40/17

built some custom front links, turned out to be pretty pricey when it was all said and done, but the rod ends are really nice and I didn't skimp on any of the hardware

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got the WL 24/26 bar mounted (along w/ custom super-duper endlinks :))- turn in is much (MUCH) better, fast transitional stuff much better as well

sadly will need to wait for spring to see the full effect of the bar, the rate this winter is going thus far- it could be a long one :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi bigsky, i've been running an 08 on 245 v710s and may replace them with 275s next year -- tire guy says he can do it, and it looks like there's clearance. And I tried a 25mm on the front (stock is 20) but yanked it; car didn't stick as well and i got more wheelspin to boot. Real benefit was recovering in transitions -- i think if i'd put shocks on it or had 09 springs the bar would have been worth it.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks- good to kow the 245's will fit easily. I think your right 275's might just be the ticket- cleary the gen3's have better wheek/tire clearance than previous gen's

interesting on the bar- I'll have lots of bar settings to play w/- I've also got a 29mm bar in addition to the 24mm one :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
BigSky, my WRX is in Georgia but we live in Seattle much of the time (where I unfortunately have a Civic). Know it's a long-ass way, but one of the two-day Packwood or Tri-Cities events might be worth a trip.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
my goal is to hit Packwood this year :)- it also serves as part of the NorPac divisional series (three two day races)- I attend the divisional event in Helena each year. the other event is in Albany (San Fran)- not sure about hitting that one

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
looking at bump stops as they are free in Stock class (as long as they don't make contact sooner than stock ie are longer), pic of the oe ones- front is 59mm, rear 79mm

found a site that carries lots of different stops http://www.resuspension.com/Bump-Stops-p-1-c-92.html

if you look at the site they provide dynos of the different stops and offer lots of different lengths- might be a way to make small adjustments ie firmer stop that adds to the overall spring rate

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
update on the stops I sent the oe stops into RE Suspension so they could dyno them and get a base line against the other stops they carry- hoping to hear back w/ from them tomorrow

in other news :) I'm making a goal of getting the hatch under 3000 lbs in Stock class trim- not an easy task- if I was competing in STU or ESP it would be a lot easier

in Stock class much more difficult as the rule set has fewer allowances

here's my thoughts

curb weight of the hatch is 3175 lbs- that's with full fluids

the 09 has a 17.9 gallon tank, I think I can safely run (no fuel starvation issues) at 1/4 tank- that sheds 13 gallons @ 6.2 lbs/gal- OK that's an easy 80 lbs :)

removing the spare, tonneau, spare cover, tools/jack sheds another, floor mats 52 lbs

the oe wheel (23.2)/tire (23.9) weigh in at 47.1 lbs, the "mesh" BBS (15.2)/Hoosiers (19.5) weigh in at 34.7 for a savings of 12.5 lbs/corner that's 50 lbs

that's 180 lbs which should put me just under 3000 lbs

unfortunately I have to first add some weight back in- the WL front sway bar weighs in at 10.1 lbs, the oe front bar 7.8, the 29mm front bar is 13.4 lbs! :whoa:, my sway links are .3 lbs heavier, collars another .2, so I'm looking at 2.5 - 6 lbs of additional weight

Schroth harness will add ~ 7 lbs

my guess is the Koni's will weigh very close to oe, possibly a little more- will have to wait and see

the oe catback is 39.5 lbs, weighed my Cobb at 32.5 lbs

so as it stands I'm right at the 3000 # mark, but I want to be under :)

I'm going to get a 3" turn down built to replace the muffler section for race days- the Cobb muffler section is 22 lbs- the turndown will be a lb or two

that should put me under the 3000 lb mark w/ any luck

1 - 20 of 33 Posts