Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put on Whiteline steering rack bushings (Whiteline part KSR207)? On pre-2008 WRXs it was a fantastic mod, taking the slop out of the steering and making it respond quicker and be more precise. I wondered if there was any feedback from 2008 owners. Also, on the 2008 did it increase noise or NVH much?

·
Registered
646 Posts
i have been wondering the same thing...someone needs to be the brave soul to shed a few bucks for these and let us know

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the rack bushings and will go ahead and put them on this week (I will be that brave soul). I will post feedback on them after having a chance to drive with them a little bit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Review of Whiteline steering rack bushings (part # KSR207), cost about $60.00, approx. 1 hour labor to put on.
I had the rack bushings put in (by a mechanic) 5 days ago and have had a chance to really test them out. They give noticeably quicker steering response and much more precise steering feel, removing the initial vagueness caused by the stock bushings. There is a mild increase in NVH, mainly slightly more vibration felt in the steering wheel, not too objectionable but there. I am very happy with them. Besides making the car a lot more fun to drive they inspire much more confidence in taking turns as the car goes exactly where you steer it!!

After I completed getting my impressions under all kinds of driving conditions I asked me wife to drive the car so she could tell me what she thought as far as the vibration through the steering wheel and also how she liked the steering. I have a 2008 hatch with Swift springs, Rallitek sway bars and Bridgestone RE-01R tires, but before the simple addition of the rack bushings my wife would never drive it fast around bends and turns. After just a minute or two she began driving the car 15% faster than she ever had on a winding road near our house, shocking me. She said she wasn't aware of that because the car just felt so secure and safe at those speeds. It was 100% due to the extra confidence from knowing you can place the car where you want it to go and the car will go there. She loved the sharper steering and said she could not really feel the extra vibration, but she does not drive the car every day like I do.

Note: When the mechanic put these bushing on, the rack moved slightly (maybe 2 splines on the rack) so that the steering wheel was slightly to the left when going straight forward. That was fixed by moving the rack back the 2 or so splines to center it. I am not sure if there is something that can prevet that from happening during the install, or if it just has to be corrected at the end. Just something to be aware of, especially if you do it yourself. You are not supposed to need to align the car after putting on the bushings, but if you do, any alignment shop would re-center the steering wheel to the proper position.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts