Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I was just wondering if anyone has had any kinds of leaks when switching over to synthetic. My last car didn't take too kindly to the switch. Just making sure its safe. Thanks

Marcus

·
Registered
519 Posts
Working fine on my car as well. I changed to synthetic on my first oil change.

·
Registered
0 Posts
how would such a change cause any problem? what kind of problem? never heard of any problem related to such change. in fact full syn oil offers better protection for ur engine!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Did an oil & filter change at 900 miles. Then I switched over to full synthetic Castrol Syntec 5W-30 at 3,000 miles. Everything is running fine and dandy.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
on OLDER cars, synthetic can reveal leaks, since it is thinner/smaller at the molecular level and can seep out of leaks that conventional oil could not make it through

but on a new car... you should have no problems.

I've used amsoil full synthetic w/ K&N oil filters since I bought the car. runs like a champ, no leaks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My wife and I have an 02 and an 08 WRX. I've been using synthetic in both since their first oil changes (the 02 has 102,000 miles and the 08 9,000) with no leaks and no oil being used in between changes for either. Like Saturn, I'm a fan of K&N oil filters.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
my mechanic has a friend(a subaru tech)and he said wait about 15000 for a switch to synthetic.just his opinion.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
the K&Ns are nice because they use stainless steel parts (not plastic) and the filters are made of the same stuff their air filters use (aka NOT crappy paper!)

they can withstand 2x the amount of the pressures and temperatures required by the manufacturers

they're really solid, inexpensive (about $10), AND they have a bolt on the end so you can use a regular wrench to screw them on and off. also (not sure who cares about this one) they have a hole for safety wire for race applications. I'll never use it but it's cool to be able to tell people my oil filter is for race cars. ;)

the one I used was part# HP-1008

my mechanic has a friend(a subaru tech)and he said wait about 15000 for a switch to synthetic.just his opinion.
this is carried on from the days where engines were mostly hand-built and had inconsistencies that had to be "fixed" by a long break in period with conventional oil.

no modern car will give you problems with synthetic oil. especially a subaru. the only reason car companies don't use synthetic is it's expensive and the dealers can make more money selling you oil changes all the time.

nicer cars like porsche, lambo, ferarri, bmw, etc... all come from the factory with synthetic oil.

·
Registered
214 Posts
What about switching to say a 0w-20. I notice that many manufactures are doing this to get better mileage. So would putting in a slightly thinner lube that is synthetic instead be a better alternitive?

·
Registered
80 Posts
i recommend putting in synthetic as soon as you can it really just improves the way the mechanical parts interact in the engine. I changed to synthetic the first oil change and haven't had a problem yet.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I recommend Amsoil... you can buy it at The Anderson's and sometimes Walmart or Meijer -- though you may have to find your local supplier via their website.

you can use 0w-30 or 0w-20 year-round as Amsoil is 100% synthetic and has the same consistency no matter what the temperature is outside or in the engine.

a 0w synthetic will protect much better than a normal weight conventional oil.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've heard that you should wait until about your 2nd scheduled maintenance stop to switch over to synthetic but it seems that a lot of you who have are having no problems, so whatever...just what the dealership told me. Supposedly the turbo runs much cooler with synthetic oil

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
yes, synthetic oil dissipates heat faster

dealer told you that because they want to sell you conventional oil and tune-ups and everything else

do synthetic oil changes yourself for the cost of going to the dealer for conventional oil changes, it won't void your warranty, just keep receipts/records

if a 16 year old kid at the dealer can do it, you can do it

·
Registered
223 Posts
Oh I forgot to add, the Subaru Owner's Manual states that you may switch to full synthetic motor oil as long as you follow the recommended grade/viscosity (5W-30).

·
Registered
608 Posts
Oh I forgot to add, the Subaru Owner's Manual states that you may switch to full synthetic motor oil as long as you follow the recommended grade/viscosity (5W-30).
what if you switch it to 0W 40, like Eneos performance oils?
Just curious, do you live in extreme cold temperature area? Because by putting in thinner oil that becomes thicker at operating temp might cause problems in the long run. You'll be encouraging more metal to metal contact with the thinner oil at start up, then at operating temp you'll be increasing oil pressure because of the thicker oil, there-by possibly creating bigger oil holes in the crankshaft bearings, which in turn will cause low oil pressure. Obviously this won't happen right away, but after 50-60k you might start having engine woes.

I'd stick with 5w-30 :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts