Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

eBay is selling more and more LED bulbs for headlights, fog lights and DRL's, and high-beams. Anybody purchased and installed LED headlights or fog lights or anything? Any improvement in brightness over factory halogen bulbs?

Thanks,
MrElussive

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
if its cheap just give it a try, take one minute to change

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awful! I chose a pretty nice pair of bulbs, I think the best I could find on eBay as they have LED's on the front and all around the "bulbs". I installed both of them, and they do not illuminate the road at all. The front side marker lights were brighter than the LED headlights. Too bad too, because they had a really nice color to them and that was $60 wasted. :mad:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Awful! I chose a pretty nice pair of bulbs, I think the best I could find on eBay as they have LED's on the front and all around the "bulbs". I installed both of them, and they do not illuminate the road at all. The front side marker lights were brighter than the LED headlights. Too bad too, because they had a really nice color to them and that was wasted. :mad:
Thanks for biting that bullet for the rest of us ! Props!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
You just cant go cheap with LED's for lighting, there are companies like visionx and ridgid (or rigid? i forgot how they spell their name) industries that make auxillary lights that are bright as all hell. Subaru rally teams use the vision x stuff and so do the dudes from ice road truckers. But they are gonna run at least 400 for a pair.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
LEDs are not for illuminating the road...purely cosmetic. I have them in everything EXCEPT the main headlight and fogs. Same goes for my girl's TSX, but that has LED fogs, just a nice color without any glare.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
You can't just buy the led bulbs and throw them into the halogen projectors.

no this isn't the same rant as the hid arguments.

there are a few cars out there, i believe the new lexus 400h, and the escalade hybrid, that use LED's in their projectors. Score a set of those, and go for it, but I woudln't bother unless your car is a hybrid. (lower wattage, longer battery life)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
LEDs are not for illuminating the road...purely cosmetic. I have them in everything EXCEPT the main headlight and fogs. Same goes for my girl's TSX, but that has LED fogs, just a nice color without any glare.
You CAN rock LED lights, just not in headlight or fogs, they have to be in a light bucket/projector that is tuned for them. The new 3rd gen LED's can actually reach really far (the new mag lights for example).
I have rigid industries LED light bar setup that clamps onto the handlebars of my YFZ 450, and eventually when I build another truck I'm gonna rock their 50'' light bar, its retardedly bright and way better looking than a kc light bar.
heres the link: http://www.rigidindustries.com/

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
You CAN rock LED lights, just not in headlight or fogs, they have to be in a light bucket/projector that is tuned for them. The new 3rd gen LED's can actually reach really far (the new mag lights for example).
I have rigid industries LED light bar setup that clamps onto the handlebars of my YFZ 450, and eventually when I build another truck I'm gonna rock their 50'' light bar, its retardedly bright and way better looking than a kc light bar.
Ok? So, you're reiterating what I said? I should have said LEDs on the WRX would be purely cosmetic.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I need to get me some of these but OMG the price

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Ok? So, you're reiterating what I said? I should have said LEDs on the WRX would be purely cosmetic.
No I'm not reiterating what you said, (that LED's are purely cosmetic and NOT for illuminating the road). If you checked out the link you would see just how bright the LED's that company makes are. Plenty bright to light up the road. Not to mention, as I already said, subaru rally teams use the visionx lights, as well as the dudes from ice road truckers, the border partrol, baja desert racing teams, ect ect ect.
You just have to drop the bills on the nice ones. I honestly want to get em so I can light up the a-holes in big trucks that like to run all their accessory lights-cause it makes em soooo cool.

and eminehart- they are honestly worth it if you want extra lights, im very happy with the 6" light bar on my yfz, since the stock headlights suck and run off ac. They are great out on the dunes.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
No I'm not reiterating what you said, (that LED's are purely cosmetic and NOT for illuminating the road). If you checked out the link you would see just how bright the LED's that company makes are. Plenty bright to light up the road. Not to mention, as I already said, subaru rally teams use the visionx lights, as well as the dudes from ice road truckers, the border partrol, baja desert racing teams, ect ect ect.
You just have to drop the bills on the nice ones. I honestly want to get em so I can light up the a-holes in big trucks that like to run all their accessory lights-cause it makes em soooo cool.

and eminehart- they are honestly worth it if you want extra lights, im very happy with the 6" light bar on my yfz, since the stock headlights suck and run off ac. They are great out on the dunes.
Oh, I'm just pointing out that LEDs are cosmetic in factory housings...don't care about lightbars.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I know this thread is old but i need to buy some fog lights. I purchased the Nokya 9006's but the one bulb burnt out the first day i installed them (no i didnt touch the bulb) it was just a defective bulb, the base where the glass is crimped was to thin or somethin.

Any who, i didnt realize they were halogen bulbs and i was looking for an LED fog preferably yellow cause it will go nicely on my DGM with HID's.

Any links to some yellow Led fogs would be awesome.

Thanks ya'll

·
Registered
418 Posts
Okay seems like the LED option is out sooooooo what is the best bulb to buy for our fogs? I want yellow and already had the nokya's and they failed. May have just been bad luck but i wanna know if there is something better out there that ya'll like more.

Lemme know, thanks!

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
My Nokyas have lasted two years without issue. But people have had good luck with the yellow LEDs on ebay, they look very similar to quality ones like V-LED.

·
Registered
418 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts