Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If not, I may choose to pave the way on this one. e85 is 2.89 near my house, and it's 105 octane. new fuel pump, injectors, and obviously a protune that I planned on doing myself anyways. some guy on nasoic has been running e85 since 02 and has had no problems with the fuel lines. Economy is reduced but it tends to be much less for a turbocharged car, and the cost is so much lower it's still a big savings. I'm pretty sure revolutions performance is willing to try it, I'm gonna start seeing what's up.

·
Registered
345 Posts
2.89????? that is cheap when i looked into e85 a little while ago it was more than regular fuel and definitely got alot worse gas mileage. Other than trying to be cleaner for the environment i dont see this being worth the time or money. with the decrease in mpg i dont think you would gain anything out of this

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
^^Well, you will get a lot more power out of the fuel for one. Lose a couple mpg, but you get a fuel that will soon be almost half as expensive.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
E85 is kinda a good idea, but just save all your "normal gasoline" hardware...because it's so damn inefficient to make, time will tell whether E85 just disappears...although they have found some algae that can produce E85...hopefully that'll work instead of corn or soybeans.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
E85 is kinda a good idea, but just save all your "normal gasoline" hardware...because it's so damn inefficient to make, time will tell whether E85 just disappears...although they have found some algae that can produce E85...hopefully that'll work instead of corn or soybeans.
they can produce it from almost any biomass with a certain catalyst. basically the left overs from harvesting, so instead of the corn, they use the leftover corn stalks ect.

it's viable, but like any alternative fuel it's a risk. I'm interested in the power offered, it's pretty common in my area, it's cheap, and it's the only alternative option I have if I want to continue driving my WRX if gas prices keep up this price hike. The best part is the "parts" dont have to be changed back if gasoline is suddenly required again, it's just a new tune.

·
Registered
345 Posts
also i know from just experience i have never seen an e85 gas station and i do some traveling but if theirs a station near your house i guess that wouldn't be horrible.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
they can produce it from almost any biomass with a certain catalyst. basically the left overs from harvesting, so instead of the corn, they use the leftover corn stalks ect.

it's viable, but like any alternative fuel it's a risk. I'm interested in the power offered, it's pretty common in my area, it's cheap, and it's the only alternative option I have if I want to continue driving my WRX if gas prices keep up this price hike. The best part is the "parts" dont have to be changed back if gasoline is suddenly required again, it's just a new tune.
I guess using E85 parts for normal gasoline would logically work, afterall, chevy vehicles can use both. Kinda cool, especially if you can switch maps on the fly for E85 or Gas.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

my thinking is that flex fuel vehicles have parts that wont degrade from the "dry" e85, and have sensors that tell the computer how much ethenol is in the tank. well we change out the fuel pump, and install bigger injectors (both of which may or may not be necessary) and re tune to e85. if we want to go back to gas we can just re-flash back to a gas tune that utilizes the new equipment via accessport.
I guess using E85 parts for normal gasoline would logically work, afterall, chevy vehicles can use both. Kinda cool, especially if you can switch maps on the fly for E85 or Gas.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts

I believe the only thing you really need to run E85 is larger injectors and a tune. AWDpirates (a CO based forum) has a lot more info on the topic. The biggest issue from what I know is the fact that ethanol is not as kind to some types of rubbers as gasoline is. However, there are a lot of people who have been running E85 for a long time in their subarus without any problems with the ethanol damaging any hoses or linings. In fact, I cannot recall anyone complaining about e85 damaging their car when run with the appropriate upgrades.

I wonder how viable it would be to have someone set a protuned AP map for ethanol and just swap them depending on the kind of gas you are running. That's kind of like flex-fuel I guess, though I'm sure that if you did a complete reflash frequently that your ecu might die after a while.

·
Registered
44 Posts
you have to tune for about 20% more fuel but its like running race gas as its 106 octane, ran it in my galant a olot as i had duel maps pretty popular in the dsm community, all the rubber components in newer cars can withstand the overage of all that alcohal its just you have to compenste for it by adding extra fuel the cost savings isiant there as you re using more fuel but it works out as race gas 100 octane is about 5.50 over by us there are alot of people who are using it in the dsm's

1 - 10 of 10 Posts