Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am running perrin stage 2 map, but i dont even have an idea how much power it puts out.
Try doing a third gear pull from 2k to redline using the Accesports vuirtual dyno under the performance menu. It will give you a general idea on how much power you are putting down at the wheels. I did this in second gear (havn'e had time to do a 3rd gear pull) and I put down 237whp with a cobb stg 2 map.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Ya know what, that would be a great way to judge the map performance. Do a few pulls with the cobb stage 2 and then compare to a few identical pulls with the perrin stage 2.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Ya know what, that would be a great way to judge the map performance. Do a few pulls with the cobb stage 2 and then compare to a few identical pulls with the perrin stage 2.
If you are going to do something like that, do your pulls cobb Stage II, reflash to Perrin, get a 100 miles or so under your maps belt, then do the rest of the pulls.
I had cobb stage I installed, reflashed to perrin stage I, there was an instant difference, but there is that crutial run in time for the learned ignition, DAM, tip in enrichment scale. Now my car feels like it pulls even harder.

Try doing a third gear pull from 2k to redline using the Accesports vuirtual dyno under the performance menu. It will give you a general idea on how much power you are putting down at the wheels. I did this in second gear (havn'e had time to do a 3rd gear pull) and I put down 237whp with a cobb stg 2 map.
I have not played with Virtiual Dyno much, but I was under the impression that the AP put out were at the Flywheel not the ground? Hmmmm interesting...

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am pretty sure it puts out wheel hp. I know it may not be 100% acurate, but I am sure it is close.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I am still not sold on the Virtual Dyno? This is not the first time that I have seen this issue.
I am trying to see how you could get a 25% gain in WHP with a Cobb Stage II 91oct map? Or even HP at the FlyWheel? Which there is a 5% gain.

Stock WHP = about 178WHP. On average we lose 20% of HP getting the power from the flywheel to the ground.
Virtual Dyno = 237WHP
Difference = 59WHP
Which = 25% Difference
Cobb stage II 91 oct map quotes there is a 11% gain in HP
That is a 9% difference between what the Virtual Dyno Shows and what the map notes show? I would think 1% or 2%... ok, and on the extreme outside edge 5%, but 9%... Just makes me look twice

Now with ALL that being said... it could simply be that you did the pull in 2nd gear. But I don't think so??

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am still not sold on the Virtual Dyno? This is not the first time that I have seen this issue.
I am trying to see how you could get a 25% gain in WHP with a Cobb Stage II 91oct map? Or even HP at the FlyWheel? Which there is a 5% gain.

Stock WHP = about 178WHP. On average we lose 20% of HP getting the power from the flywheel to the ground.
Virtual Dyno = 237WHP
Difference = 59WHP
Which = 25% Difference
Cobb stage II 91 oct map quotes there is a 11% gain in HP
That is a 9% difference between what the Virtual Dyno Shows and what the map notes show? I would think 1% or 2%... ok, and on the extreme outside edge 5%, but 9%... Just makes me look twice

Now with ALL that being said... it could simply be that you did the pull in 2nd gear. But I don't think so??

I did the pull in second, I havenot had time or a long enough road to do a 3rd gear pull yet (considering I will doing over 90mph).
Once I do I will post the reults. I also think 178whp stock is a bit low. I think the 08 wrx is underated and 190-200whp stock sounds about right to me.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I have 6 pulls 3rd gear pulls with a AP tuner, 3 stock and 3 cobb stage I. Having seat time with a tuner (He tunes Rally cars, time attack, drag cars... mostly Subies and EVO's... I trust him) he confirmed the 20% loss of hp getting the power to the ground BEFORE ;) we did the pulls. The brochure quotes 224HP at the flywheel. 20% of 224 is about 45hp = 179WHP The pulls I did with him I put 178WHP to the ground. Now a couple of HP one way or the other could be a product of , how was it quoted to me "MY Craptastic 91ACN" that I am running.

By the way when I did these 3rd gear pulls, I saw speeds of 100 - 105 so be careful

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well you can't deny those numbers you got. I guess it somewhat depends on what kind of dyno people use. Some over inflate Hp and some underinflate. This is why I hate looking at dyno charts. Some people can get awesome numbers with one dyno and not so good with another. I wich all dyno's were calibrated the same, so you could compare one to another equally.

I like to see quarter mile times but there is alot of variables in that as well (elevation, driver skill etc).

On legacygt.com they have a intersting way of determing power output. They like to do 3rd gear pulls and starting at 40 mph WOT and calulate your times from 50-80mph and 60-80mph. This is a great way to take out driver inlvolvement from the equation. The best way to get the numbers is by logging, a stop watch and looking at the speedo are not all that accurate.
So if you have a laptop, you can use ECU explorer to log with the AP cable. I did this on my legacy and it worked great.

More info here:
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52708&highlight=3rd+gear+pull+times

Maybe us 08 wrx guys should try this and compare numbers. Elevation still comes into play though.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Quote off of the first post:
"If you have a laptop and data logger, even better (an more accurate)."

I have setup for a data logger (RomRaider) and completed some initial pulls, to see what kind of numbers that I get, it is looking good... now they, the people over on the RomRaider site, are still developing some of the features for the data logger so that is a work in progress

Here is my set up, and if I remember correctly someone else posted their set up too... Check out this thread: http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=864.0

As far as the pulls above. Those were completed about 100ft above sea level, with a Tuner. The tuner had Tactrix cable (High Speed Cable) attached to the OBD II port and an O2 sensor in the tail pipe. He was data logging with Cobbs PROTuner software. He calls it his "Road Dyno." Each Pull was done on the same stretch of road in the same direction, one right after another. So there is consistency in the pulls. The pulls were 3rd gear, from 2k RPM to 6500 RPM. I was driving, he was logging.

If you want to see the CSV files I am happy to send them to you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just emailed both of you the perrin st.2 map, my exhaust is getting installed RIGHT NOW!, I'll be trying it out myself in a couple hours hopefuly!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dude, you are way cool. Thanks alot. I am going to try it tonight. I will let you know how it compares to cobbs map.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Just installed the map and took it for a test drive. I noticed a few things: I feel that the throttle isn't as sensitive as it was. With cobbs map, you just tap the gas and it revs, with the perrin map, it takes a little more throttle. Performance wise it is hard to tell. It feels like it pulls a little bit harder. I know the computer takes sometime to learn a new map, so it should get better in a day or 2.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Just installed the map and took it for a test drive. I noticed a few things: I feel that the throttle isn't as sensitive as it was. With cobbs map, you just tap the gas and it revs, with the perrin map, it takes a little more throttle. Performance wise it is hard to tell. It feels like it pulls a little bit harder. I know the computer takes sometime to learn a new map, so it should get better in a day or 2.
Thank you Collegemt... "+'s"

There is a learning curve for the ECU... First thing I noticed Perrin Stage II 91oct map target psi 16psi, same Cobb 91oct Stage II map target is 15psi. 1 psi difference... not a huge difference. I would make sure that you are watching your live data... "AFR" is good "DAM", (after a day or so, hopefully it is at "1")...
I would be interested to hear what you have to say after 100 - 200 miles...

***Edit*** What is really interesting is my Perrin Stage I map has a target of 17psi... from Cobbs stage I target of 13psi... Weird...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts