Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to add just a little bass with out rattling my car apart, so i was considering getting the suby factory sub. just curious if anyone has any experiences with it and what they thought about it

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was wondering about this too - are you talking about the under-the-seat solution?

Does anyone know - is it pre-wired for this?

[move]Happy HolidaysGo Do Donuts!Happy HolidaysGo Do Donuts!Happy HolidaysGo Do Donuts!Happy HolidaysGo Do Donuts!Happy HolidaysGo Do Donuts!Happy HolidaysGo Do Donuts![/move]

·
Registered
752 Posts
instead of adding another stock speaker... what about upgrading the existing ones?
some new 3-Ways and a little dynamat can work wonders.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Just a external amp on the stock speaker do wonder

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i was talking about the underseat deal. will aftermarket speakers in the stock locations actually put out some bass though? i mean, i know the factory sub isnt going to rattle teeth, but im just looking for something that is going to have some bass feel to it. i had a decent system in my last car and kinda miss it now

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just put the OEM sub in the car this weekend. I cannot give you a full answer yet, but I can tell you that it is no where near as powerful as the 200W Infinity Basslink that I had in my Integra; however, the Basslink was overkill when cranked all the way up and most times I was only at half power or less. I'll let everyone know in a week of my final thoughts.

To anyone else that has installed this sub, did it come with two washers to place under the sub mounting bracket to seat rail bolt. I ask because the directions show the two washers, but I didn't get any. I don't know if they are necessary though, because the seat rail bolt has a washer on it. Also, let me know what you think the best setting for the "gain" and "high cut" adjustment knobs. I have both currently maxed out and use the head unit to dial out the bass.

·
Registered
752 Posts
a few days ago i got rid of my 12" MTX 7500 because i wanted to go with something smaller. My new Memphis M class is just right. I put it in a small truck box and it takes up very little room. Sounds great too.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I just put the OEM sub in the car this weekend. I cannot give you a full answer yet, but I can tell you that it is no where near as powerful as the 200W Infinity Basslink that I had in my Integra
its mean for the price they ask for it, its totaly not worth it.... i had install basslink many time in many car and they are not the big deal

nowaday lots of compagny offer tight space fitment sub that can be monted practicaly evrywhere, we did a setup in a Mercedes Smart with 2 x 10" 300rms each in one 0.7 F3 box (splited 0.35ft per sub) fitted behind the rear seats

for the wrx after doing my "Stage 1" (DSP+Speakers+Multi-Ch) im thinking of a Shallow mounted sub down the spare wheel space with a false floor for the amp... i will still be able to put the rubber protective map over it to make it stealth or to carry stuff

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have it installed in mine and I enjoy it. If you are looking to rattle windows and teeth there are definitely better options. I like just the little more bass it adds. I also bought the tweeters as I had the POS base radio. The only thing I didnt test drive when I bought the car. :'( If you are just looking to add a little base and are willing to spend the money it is worht it to me.

Seth

·
Registered
1,843 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Seth, did your installation kit come with two washers for the bracket to seat rail, 'cuz mine didn't, but the instructions say they should be installed? I imagine that you also had to cut the rear seat rail bolt cover by 10mm as stated in the directions. I'm kind of hesitant to do that, as it was bad enough taking out the stereo, removing the console, shifter boot, etc. for the install. Also, did you just go to the dealer and buy the tweeters that come in the Premium and Nav cars, and was a connector there after you removed the door panel?

I agree that the Subie sub, made by Panasonic, is good enough. I actually need to turn down the high cut adjustment, so that I can hear the mids and highs again.

- Jon

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hey Jon I did it the lazy way and took it to the dealer to do. I had them install the XM too. I looked at the bracket and I can see the washers installed and the rail cover the dealer messed it up so they are going to replace it. I dont mind doing somethings but I hate removing trim and stereos and things of that sort. I adjusted the high cut to about the 8 o'clock position, and turned the gain all the way up. I bought the tweeters too just waiting for the bezzles so I can put them in. I like the sound because it isnt overly loud and bassy but just enough for my old man style LOL.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have the premium audio setup with the additional subwoofer in the car. I too have owned a Infinity Basslink (still do in the focus) and these solutions are not even comparable.

The Subaru solution does add a little bit more bass, but in my opinion it sounds muffled in addition to being weak. I didn't actually want the subwoofer when I bought the car, but the dealership could only find a car with one given my other requests. I would not recommend installing the woofer unless you have very small expectations for it. I'm a bit of an audiophile, so take my advice with a grain of salt since I'm very particular on my audio. (I design and build my own speakers for home use to give you an example, ie I'm an elitist bastard :))

·
Registered
36 Posts
i have got the bass unit thrown in for free when i bought the car, i also have the premium speakers.

for me the sound is clear, unmuffled, and really crisp and nice to listen to- even at full volume. dose not rattle or distort which is why i like it so much. on the other hand, my mate has a sony dvd deck, 2 x 15 inch subs, 2 x 1000 amps and all the other bullshit. all it dose is rattle the car and make the music sound shit and annoying.

i also am very picy about my sound and will install a small 500watt amp ( enough for stock speakers) 2 x 6x9s where the rear wheel arces are in boxes, and sound proof the panels so as to avoid rattleing. this is stage one for me untill the oem equipment dies, which it will which will be replaced by kenwood speakers, front and back, and possibly a different head unit if need be, but i want to keep the stock one as long as possible as if i do buy a head unit, i will have to buy the best.

i believe in building a system up from scratch, but not all in one hit. the stock system is a good start, but i probably wouldnt buy the sub if it didnt come with the car. for me, more clarity is needed, which the speakers will fix and amp will fix, but will never be perfect without the proper head unit to run it. in my old hilux, i had a 1500 dollar system that sounded louded, clearer and deeper than my mates system which was double the cost and double the bullshit.

dont always go for the most powerfull ( accpet in amps if you only plan on getting one ) but what suits you. for me, im over the whole heavy doof doof thing but my system will be built accordingly so i can provide simple upgrades if i want to go down that path later on.

hope that makes sense, but to answer the original question, yes, the subi sub and amp will make an excellent start to your endless audio quest if you want minimal fuss and to keep warranty :D

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Baya, you sure dont want first to waste your money on your rear stages and especially not with 6x9 (or any other oval speaker) if you want to buily something decent please go with 6.5... they are the best option, easier to fit and will give you a cleaner, crisper sound, and possibly harder bass.. depending on what you will choose...

if you do that just to get bass you better go with 8" and a good pair of 6.5" midbass woofer driver... if you want to keep the stock unit, just throw in a small 4ch amp on your speaker with a good line-out converter or DSP OEM integration that can provide a flat clean signal with higher voltage pre-out and you will be in business.. nowaday OEM cd player are very decent in sound quality, they just have lousy amplification and Preset EQ curve that vary with the volume to lower your bass output at higher volume

·
Registered
36 Posts
the 6x9s in the rear are only there to be angled out the back for when the tail gate is open when i goto the beach, park or track ;) i hear what you saying but and will consider this ( had the 6x9 set up in my old ute )

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
There's no question you will get better results from aftermarket gear.

However, if you just want to fill in the lows by plugging in 2 ends of a wiring harness, the OEM sub is a great solution. If you've owned aftermarket systems in the past, you may be let down. For reference, the premium OEM system in my 04 F150 was way better than the OEM with sub in my WRX, so this may not even sound as good as OEM systems you had in other cars. The sub makes a noticeable difference though. I drove without it for a week, and I was really disappointed with the stereo. Now I'm really happy with what I have, although I do at times miss the teeth rattling system in my F150 (the only thing I miss about my F150). I took the grand I was ready to spend on aftermarket gear and bought the sub, IPod harness, 8GB nano, Garmin 360 navi, and a KB short shifter ;D. Works out much better for me.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Oh yeah definitely not as good as say VW Monsoon or Nissan Bose systems but if you are not a total audiophile it is adequate, at least to me it is. My gf always busting my balls that her stock system kicks mine, but then she gets stuck in the snow, then I bust her LOL.

Seth

1 - 20 of 28 Posts