Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
i had one on my last wrx and it helped a little..10 hp is pushing it but it did help ...plus it completely changes the sound of the turbo spool... im definetly going to get one for this one

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think we would be kidding ourselves if we thought this was truly a performance upgrade as opposed to a maintenance one. Will it flow better, sure! 10 hp? Not a chance.

Having said that, is it worth it to pull the manifold off for the install? Or is there a way around this?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I put mine on without taking off the intake.....if the Perrin turbo inlet I recieved wasn't 2" too short I probably would have it on right now...

·
Registered
308 Posts
I put mine on without taking off the intake.....if the Perrin turbo inlet I recieved wasn't 2" too short I probably would have it on right now...
wow! Did you go with another? What did Perrin say? I was told the GMS v2 wire reinforced was exactly the same as the AVO.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Do these requrie a retune?

j

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts

j
No. This would not be considered a performance upgrade by most, especially a Tuner.
Thank you TheBrandon.

j
You're welcome. Are you going to install one? Let us know what you end up going with and the process. Pretty sure I will be grabbing one pretty quick. GMS V2 would be my guess. If I find my leak I'll keep stock though until I grab Fuel Rails.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts

j
No. This would not be considered a performance upgrade by most, especially a Tuner.
Thank you TheBrandon.

j
You're welcome. Are you going to install one? Let us know what you end up going with and the process. Pretty sure I will be grabbing one pretty quick. GMS V2 would be my guess. If I find my leak I'll keep stock though until I grab Fuel Rails.
IDK yet. I'm afraid of my dealer seeing anything 'perrin' under the hood and assuming I'm stage 2 on a tune (which I am NOT)...I would like the underhood bling in black or red, but I wouldn't like to deal with them on it (and I'd guess they'd take note). I've had issues with warranty before (not on my subie), and I don't like having to fight with a dealer if something goes wrong over something as stupid as an inlet hose. I don't live in an area where I can choose between dealers either...so I play by the 'rules on 99% of my car parts. I have to go for stealth..

·
Registered
308 Posts

j
Thank you TheBrandon.

j
IDK yet. I'm afraid of my dealer seeing anything 'perrin' under the hood and assuming I'm stage 2 on a tune (which I am NOT)...I would like the underhood bling in black or red, but I wouldn't like to deal with them on it (and I'd guess they'd take note). I've had issues with warranty before (not on my subie), and I don't like having to fight with a dealer if something goes wrong over something as stupid as an inlet hose. I don't live in an area where I can choose between dealers either...so I play by the 'rules on 99% of my car parts. I have to go for stealth..
If warranty is a concern stay away this. Imagine spinning a bearing and not getting a new block because you wanted Engine Bling. ;)

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Here is a pic of the inlet I bought from Vim @ Treble Racing, which he purchased from a supplier and not Perrin directly (the box was sealed when he got it and was from Perrin with the part number on the box, it wasn't repackaged). This is the inlet he was going to put on his car but never got around to it (lucky him). It first started with a missing vacuum hose which Vim got from Perrin (before I purchased it)
After I took off the stock one, I couldn't figure out why the Perrin one wouldn't fit. We got it to connect to the turbo but the BOV connection was hitting another hose that comes out of the block under the intake. I sat them both together to make sure everything lined up; as you can see the inlet is too short and the BOV connection is in the wrong spot, the rubber hose they sent didn't fit the PCV valve and the reducer that connects to the PCV valve to the rubber hose was the wrong size.

So since I bought this 3rd party (even though it was brand new) I had to take pictures of everything and send them to Perrin to make sure it was "their product". Then they wanted to see the part number on the box because they thought I bought the wrong part. Basically, the inlet I got was roughly 2" too short and none of the parts worked. I just looked at their directions online and they are the same....even if the inlet was correct, none of the other connections worked on my special 09 ::). The best part was that they wanted to charge me (since I didn't buy it from them) for a new inlet and would refund my card when they got the inlet I had or I had to ship my inlet back for them to inspect before they would send out the new one. I chose to send the inlet back, the car was down for 2 full days, I missed one day of work, I had it towed to Apollo Performance in Upland and I paid them to put the stock one back on. Luckily I got the stock one off without having to tear it or cut it up otherwise I would have been out more money. As soon as the new inlet arrived it had 3 different sizes of rubber hose, 15+ vacuum adapters....and it was sold the next day ;D
Rant over

Please let me point out that this is in no way Vim/Treble Racing's fault, he did everything in his power to make this right. Hopefully your inlets fit better than mine ;D

·
Registered
308 Posts
That is the second story is 2 days I have heard of Perrin doing that. The first was a Turbo with a new CHRA fitting. Couple grand was involved and it ended up being a disaster for the buyer who actually purchased through Perrin if his side of the story was all facts. :eek:

·
Registered
727 Posts
my Inlet went on today and fitment was great thanks HTP but the only problem i had was that all the Hoses and adapters and diagrams where for a LGT and not our cars so and i had to use other parts that i had laying around that where not in the kit

·
Registered
308 Posts
my Inlet went on today and fitment was great thanks HTP but the only problem i had was that all the Hoses and adapters and diagrams where for a LGT and not our cars so and i had to use other parts that i had laying around that where not in the kit
Did you have to remove to manifold? How long did it take?

·
Registered
727 Posts
took a afternoon/evening i started on it @ 3:00 but kept getting pulled off of it to help customers because we where still open til 6:00 and it was done around 8:30ish but i also did TGV deletes so the manifold and fuel rails came out and i also installed a EBCS

·
Registered
308 Posts
guys the sound of an inlet + an intake is worth it in my oppinion
Have you pulled off a Manifold? I vote so not worth it for sound lol! That is unless you have some other stuff going on that needs to be done, TGV deletes, Fuel Rails etc.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts