Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone running open-source tuning on their '08 wrx? If so, what are the good/bad things about it so far? I'm thinking about getting into this style of tuning since $700 bucks can be better used elsewhere.

Rock on.

Kenny

·
Registered
646 Posts
we have tried buying the cable to tune it but tactrix still hasnt made it available for purchase

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair enough.

Do you know if people have been able to get good results going this route. Good results being, were they able to gain the same kind of performance people see from going with ecutek or ap?

Rock on.

·
Registered
646 Posts
the previous models people would swear by opensource...opensource is alot more efficient then an ap or ecutek becasue 1. its alot cheaper...our cable will be around 200 bucks...couple that with a tune which can be anywhere from free(if you know someone who knows how or can do it yourself) to a few hundred bucks if you have to find someone local who does it alot. also if you know a few other 08s in the area you can split the price of one cable and save even more money becasue there is no need for marrying and unmarrying. opensource usually gains alot more then the others becasue its not designed to be conservative.so gains will be higher over cobb stg 1 or 2 with the same mods...and also it will be tuned to your own car with your mods at your altitude and gas and all other variables associated with opensource. i will say that the ap has one thing over opensource...they are made by professionals, so you know they will not be harmful or you have some form of self confidence that they are safe.... i cannot stress enough how much you need to choose who tunes your car and how much you shouldnt try it yourself unless you are completely sure you know what your doing. also. if it is anything like the old car. my 05 wrx had a map from xpt tuning. which was 50 bucks and was said to be alot smoother and more efficient then cobbs maps. my car ran like a champ with it...so i am sure that once the cable is released people will be making maps for a small fee that people can buy and upload. remmeber accessports are nothing more then a laptop with a tactrix cable attatched to it with maps already one it. i hope this lures more people over to the dark side of opensource. take the money ya saved instead of buying an ap and take ur g/f out to dinner and buy some more mods...its a win win situation...ill most likely( im still working on it) be getting tuned after i get a downpipe and my header and everything comes in by a guy upstate...if the map works for just stg 2 w/ an intake and runs good...ill upload it onto my laptop and anyone that wants it ill sell for hella cheap..since i have to buy the initial tune...sound like a plan??

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
i cannot stress enough how much you need to choose who tunes your car and how much you shouldnt try it yourself unless you are completely sure you know what your doing.
That is the key right there ;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rexxx
sounds like a deal to me man. let me know what ends up going on with this and we'll try to hook it up? do you have 93 oct there?

·
Registered
646 Posts
yepp sure do...the guy thats gonna do my tuning..from what i hear is really good...he is the main tuner at turbo xs from what ive been told..im gonna see if he can do a semi aggressive stg 2 map..and then just tune my car for the header and uppipe ...i wish someone would make an affordable tmic...a bigger intercooler on these cars does wonders after your tuned for your top end...also considering our intercoolers, so they say on legacygt.com...are prone to cracking at the connections under high boost

·
Registered
66 Posts
As rexxx said not available yet but here's cut-n-paste from the Tactrix website:

"NOTE ON AVAILABILITY:
The Openport 2.0 has completed manufacture, but we are still working on various firmware features and the supporting EcuFlash software for newer CAN vehicles as well as previously supported vehicles. Please be patient while we finish these last few (but essential) pieces of this product. We hope to have it ready to ship as soon as possible!

This product will be in stock on Thursday 07 August, 2008."
http://www.tactrix.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_25_33&products_id=49

I'm watching this like a hawk! I'm sure once available everyone & their mom will getting their hands dirty in open-source tuning our '08s. Maybe we need to start an open source tuning resource thread by stages so we can all share & make a larger tune reflash database. Just a suggestion if not already done :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
that would be great if we could...have general stg 1 and 2 maps for intakes and intercoolers and such...with modern ecuflash and ecuexplorer tuning is really easy if you know your limits...i have been looking into tuning myself..i really want to learn..i know a few people with basic knowledge that they can pass on to me...im curious to see how avcs effects tuning opensource...i dabbled in it with my old one but it didnt have avcs

·
Registered
29 Posts
29th now huh, man I'll never get my DP installed :'(

·
Registered
646 Posts
i know im about to just say screw it and get an ap...the cable is taking to long to be released and i have way to many mods i need tuned for to just be running around without it

1 - 11 of 11 Posts