Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been reading about all kinds of different turbos trying to figure out what would be best for my application. Im looking for a decent boost in power without much, if any, increase in lag. ive been reading up on this thread and i came across the VF-46 (which id never heard of). It says "This is the standard equipment turbocharger used on the USDM Subaru Legacy GT MY07. The VF46 utilizes a new five-arc scroll design to improve low and midrange performance over the previous VF40." So does this mean that this turbo is a direct bolt on as well? If so it seems to fit my criteria fairly well. Anyone have any knowledge on this turbo? Or even better, anyone running this turbo?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet, thanks man. finding that is gonna be a pain in the ass or highly expensive i think. well, at least now im set on what i want. it doesnt say much about additional engine components needed... you think im cool with my stock stuff or will i need anything else besides a tune?

so i just found out the 09s are running a vf52. do you think i will get a greater gain with the 46 or 52? i know theyre new so most people dont have much experience with them but im guessing you guys know more than i do.

·
Registered
114 Posts
VF52 will be better. It's the STi turbo with the different compressor housing, apparently. Otherwise, AFAIK, identical.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
sweet, thanks man. finding that is gonna be a pain in the ass or highly expensive i think. well, at least now im set on what i want. it doesnt say much about additional engine components needed... you think im cool with my stock stuff or will i need anything else besides a tune?

so i just found out the 09s are running a vf52. do you think i will get a greater gain with the 46 or 52? i know theyre new so most people dont have much experience with them but im guessing you guys know more than i do.
52 would be better considering they are 99% identical other than minor improvements on the unit. The kit from Precision actually turns it into a simple bolt-on process upgrade with all of your existing hardware so it becomes quite easy and affordable. There are minor components to add or change out not nothing overly difficult. You can send them a message via their website and I am sure they would be more than willing to provide more detailed info about their kit. I would rather you get your info from the horse's mouth so to speak rather than a third party, myself included. ;)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but at the same time, all companies say that their product is the best and are always trying to give you the sales pitch you know? so the 52 has a 5 arc scroll as well?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Sorry didnt want it to seem like a sales pitch. Just posted since they had a kit available.
From what I understood though, the VF46 is a direct bolt-on but needs additional fuel tuning.
The VF48 has mixed responses. Harman Motive says complete bolt-on GruppeS says to run additional STi hardware.
If the VF52 has the same configuration as the 48 then you might run into the latter issues of STi hardware but.
The VF46, as of now I think is the only 5 arc turbo as it sacrifies a bit of higher end power for lower end responsiveness.
This is why I said 52 is better because (greater gain) was in play.
I could be wrong however, we will know once the 09s have sold more.

Were you able to PM DFv2 by the way?

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Were you able to PM DFv2 by the way?
no... was i supposed to?

but i didnt take your response as a sales pitch, im just saying i usually try and get my info from peers since vendors info can be opinionated/biased towards products they carry. there is just so much information out there ive been trying my hardest to learn what i can about all my options before i make the decision and spend all the $$. As it stands, im probably going to wait and try and test drive an 09 to see how the turbo feels and how it spools, if its too laggy then i may end up going with the 46 but well see. thanks for all the info.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
DFv2 had deone research and was planning to do the same project (I am unaware of its completion). So I figured he would be a good source of information regarding this.

Good luck again

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha, now that i go back and re-read the posts i found when you said to PM him, i just did. i guess i got too caught up by the link and didnt even read the rest.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
does the progression of turbo number ie. Vf40 to vf52 mean the next one has more power than the last? I have a VF40 and I am liking what I hear about the VF52. Anyone have any opinions? I also was looking into the FP Green, how would that compare?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I believe that the turbo in current STis is smaller than the previous model but this is the only instance where the latter number was smaller.
this being said, I would make no assumptions. The 46 also has that 5 arc design.
Yeah so I would do some homework beofre choosing a turbo to suit your needs. Model numbers should not be the primary source of information for you.

My .02 :)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I'm prob gonna be getting a 46 as well... only looking for around 300whp on my stock tranny... once i get money to upgrade to a PPG gear set then i'll upgrade to a 18g turbo. if you do end up getting a 46 or 52 before me def would like to hear the results ... gl

1 - 15 of 15 Posts